3L Public Defender Applications Forum

(Issue areas, International Law, International Public Interest, Public Service in the private sector, Non-Profits, Public Interest Organizations, Government/ government agencies, employment settings)
Anonymous User

Re: 3L Public Defender Applications

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jan 22, 2018 1:08 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Has anyone who accepted an offer from Colorado received any further information from them?
Just a brief reply email to my follow-up email. What kind of information are you looking for? I don't think much more will come until late in the spring or early summer.
Hey, all! I’ve accepted a CO position, too! I also heard the next thing we’ll hear is late spring...trying not to think too much about it because I desperately want to know where I’m going, haha.

Congrats to you both!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jan 22, 2018 1:13 am

RCSOB657 wrote:Anyone here actually apply with New Mexico and gotten an offer or interview?
I had a 20 min interview (EJW) and then another interview over Skype in November. There was a hypo which they give you in the middle of the interview and then give you about five minutes alone to prepare. I withdrew my app but they said they made a few offers in November (I know one person who got one) and they said the next round of offers probably would be in March/April. Does that help?

RCSOB657

Gold

Post by RCSOB657 » Mon Jan 22, 2018 1:03 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
RCSOB657 wrote:Anyone here actually apply with New Mexico and gotten an offer or interview?
I had a 20 min interview (EJW) and then another interview over Skype in November. There was a hypo which they give you in the middle of the interview and then give you about five minutes alone to prepare. I withdrew my app but they said they made a few offers in November (I know one person who got one) and they said the next round of offers probably would be in March/April. Does that help?
Thx!!!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jan 22, 2018 5:27 pm

I know they send out snail mail rejections, but how does Maryland send out offers?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jan 23, 2018 5:21 pm

Has anyone done a final round interview with the ED at NDS? Is it a mere formality? Any insight of what to expect?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jan 23, 2018 5:47 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Has anyone done a final round interview with the ED at NDS? Is it a mere formality? Any insight of what to expect?
Not sure what the final round is but I know him fairly well. He’s an is an interesting guy. He will likely ask you very pointed and challenging questions about who you are (if you’re white why/how you plan on working with a predominately black community and if you’re black how you’ve lived a different privileged life than the black clients). I would say that you should really seem comfortable in your positions without seeming arrogant (as dumb as that sounds). I would also definitely not shy away from mentioning race.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jan 23, 2018 6:03 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Has anyone done a final round interview with the ED at NDS? Is it a mere formality? Any insight of what to expect?
Pretty sure they're done hiring, at least for the criminal practice

RCSOB657

Gold

Post by RCSOB657 » Wed Jan 24, 2018 9:46 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Any chance you could pm me, re skype interview, please? I'll have one soon and wanted to bounce a question or two off you.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jan 24, 2018 2:02 pm

Have Philly offers gone out yet?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jan 29, 2018 6:38 pm

Maryland appears to be calling references - good sign maybe? Anybody familiar with them know if they have HR call, or is it the management from the specific districts?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jan 30, 2018 12:39 am

Anonymous User wrote:Maryland appears to be calling references - good sign maybe? Anybody familiar with them know if they have HR call, or is it the management from the specific districts?
I had a reference say they were called by a specific district County.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jan 31, 2018 11:13 pm

Is NYC Legal Aid still interviewing? I've had radio silence from them, no rejection, but no call to schedule any interviews, either. I know that their hiring has been weird the past few cycles, but the silence is maddening.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Feb 07, 2018 12:48 pm

Does anyone have any knowledge of the Salt Lake Legal Defenders Association? Personal life may relocate me to Utah. I've worked for five years as a state PD in a large city. I'm wondering if anyone knows even the slightest about the office, hiring practices, salary, caseload, etc. Information on the internet and on here seems scant/nonexistent.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

shantideva

New

Post by shantideva » Thu Feb 08, 2018 7:45 pm

Checking in. Just applied to CO yesterday. Does anyone know about their hiring timeline?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Feb 09, 2018 10:09 am

Maryland has been making offers for its spring class, for any curious.

shantideva

New

Post by shantideva » Fri Feb 09, 2018 11:46 am

I applied to Alaska and got an email back that they don't currently have openings, but I should add myself to the HR list serve.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Feb 09, 2018 8:34 pm

Got a Skype screener interview for CO.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Feb 10, 2018 10:49 am

Anonymous User wrote:Have Philly offers gone out yet?
We’re interviewing now for the Fall 2018 class and making offers.

shantideva

New

Post by shantideva » Mon Feb 12, 2018 12:41 pm

Does NJ extend offers to candidates who have not been sworn in yet?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Feb 15, 2018 11:53 am

shantideva wrote:Does NJ extend offers to candidates who have not been sworn in yet?
Yes, they hire pre-bar.

alli-22

New

Post by alli-22 » Sun Feb 25, 2018 9:48 pm

shantideva wrote:Does NJ extend offers to candidates who have not been sworn in yet?
Yes, NJ extends offers pre-bar. Prior to being sworn in, however, you are only a contractor (vendor) and not a state employee. Contractors are paid per diem.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Feb 26, 2018 10:07 am

alli-22 wrote:
Yes, NJ extends offers pre-bar. Prior to being sworn in, however, you are only a contractor (vendor) and not a state employee. Contractors are paid per diem.
I was under the impression that NJ only interviews/offers pre-bar to people from T-14.

Source: Interviewed there last year and that's what the head of the agency said in my interview.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Feb 26, 2018 10:00 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
I was under the impression that NJ only interviews/offers pre-bar to people from T-14.

Source: Interviewed there last year and that's what the head of the agency said in my interview.
Many students from schools outside the T-14 are interviewed every year at the Equal Justice Career Fair & Conference every October in DC. Additionally, a friend and I both received pre-bar offers. Neither of us interned in NJ, nor did we attend anything close to a T-14.

Broncsfan

New

Post by Broncsfan » Fri Mar 02, 2018 1:26 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Has anyone who accepted an offer from Colorado received any further information from them?
Just a brief reply email to my follow-up email. What kind of information are you looking for? I don't think much more will come until late in the spring or early summer.
Hey, all! I’ve accepted a CO position, too! I also heard the next thing we’ll hear is late spring...trying not to think too much about it because I desperately want to know where I’m going, haha.

Congrats to you both!

If any of you are placed in Pueblo, let me know. Born and raised there and did two summers at the office. A lot of people don't want to get placed there but I think it's a great place, especially to begin a career as a PD.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Mar 02, 2018 2:11 pm

Has anyone heard anything from BDS? People went in for screener interviews recently.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Public Interest & Government”