3L Public Defender Applications Forum

(Issue areas, International Law, International Public Interest, Public Service in the private sector, Non-Profits, Public Interest Organizations, Government/ government agencies, employment settings)
Anonymous User

Re: 3L Public Defender Applications

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Feb 07, 2017 6:32 pm

NJPD or BxD? Which would you choose? Discuss.

mazatec

New

Post by mazatec » Tue Feb 07, 2017 6:40 pm

Got an NJOPD panel interview in early March.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Feb 07, 2017 8:08 pm

Anonymous User wrote:NJPD or BxD? Which would you choose? Discuss.
Umm BxD, for sure! I don't think anyone (with half a brain) would disagree. BxD has a much better training program, track record, and overall reputation. NJ is a series of office. Each with a different approach, problems, and reputation. Corret me if I am wrong, but you will not be able to control where you are going.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Feb 07, 2017 8:27 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Umm BxD, for sure! I don't think anyone (with half a brain) would disagree. BxD has a much better training program, track record, and overall reputation. NJ is a series of office. Each with a different approach, problems, and reputation. Corret me if I am wrong, but you will not be able to control where you are going.
Respectfully disagree. NJOPD pays slightly more, offers a better work-life balance, has phenomenal training, lets its lawyers get out and try cases much faster, and NJ criminal courts are more collegial than what you'd see in NY or PA. They've also basically revamped their entire recruitment/training program since the new chief came in, and the reputation has grown as a result.

I'm not saying NJOPD is automatically better than BxD, but reasonable people could disagree on which would be a better fit for any given person. I would be genuinely conflicted about whether to take NJOPD vs. BxD.

Anonymous Defender

New

Post by Anonymous Defender » Tue Feb 07, 2017 8:39 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Respectfully disagree. NJOPD pays slightly more, offers a better work-life balance, has phenomenal training, lets its lawyers get out and try cases much faster, and NJ criminal courts are more collegial than what you'd see in NY or PA. They've also basically revamped their entire recruitment/training program since the new chief came in, and the reputation has grown as a result.

I'm not saying NJOPD is automatically better than BxD, but reasonable people could disagree on which would be a better fit for any given person. I would be genuinely conflicted about whether to take NJOPD vs. BxD.
NY>NJ...Always!!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Feb 07, 2017 8:42 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Ok so best case scenario, they are a tie?? Talking in generalities, BxD does have the better reputation, track record, etc. To each his own.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Feb 07, 2017 9:17 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Ok so best case scenario, they are a tie?? Talking in generalities, BxD does have the better reputation, track record, etc. To each his own.
Agree BxD

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Feb 07, 2017 9:47 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

My big problem with NJ is that they don't let you pick a specific office/location or tell you in advance your office placement.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Feb 07, 2017 9:48 pm

2L on the PD track. How do you guys answers/handle the expected question of, "you're white, how do you think you could do this work/connect to our clients?"

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Whyjd

New

Post by Whyjd » Wed Feb 08, 2017 1:20 am

Anonymous User wrote:2L on the PD track. How do you guys answers/handle the expected question of, "you're white, how do you think you could do this work/connect to our clients?"
Uhhh... I've never been asked that question. Is that a thing? How would you handle it? I think the key is a genuine answer, not some generic BS about tolerance.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Feb 08, 2017 7:42 am

^^ive been asked that question on nearly every PD interview I've been on and I'm still not entirely sure what the correct answer is. I generally take the approach of recognizing and owning my privilege because I'm not sure there's an answer beyond that.

FWIW I answered that way and have an offer at a prestigious office so who knows

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Feb 08, 2017 1:56 pm

Anonymous User wrote:2L on the PD track. How do you guys answers/handle the expected question of, "you're white, how do you think you could do this work/connect to our clients?"
I've always said some combination of recognizing privilege, gaining the trust of your client by making sure they feel heard, and finding common ground. Depending on the office, this is a good time to talk about client-centered representation and treating your client as an equal.

radicalbanana

New

Post by radicalbanana » Thu Feb 09, 2017 1:01 am

Anonymous User wrote:Has anyone interviewed for Federal PD in San Diego? Just wondering what the process is like and what to expect in interviews.
Yep - PM me for more info.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

mazatec

New

Post by mazatec » Thu Feb 09, 2017 11:27 am

Does anyone else have no idea what state they're taking the bar in? :?

mazatec

New

Post by mazatec » Sat Feb 11, 2017 3:07 am

By the way, had a screener with the Montgomery County Public Defender recently.

mazatec

New

Post by mazatec » Wed Feb 15, 2017 7:53 pm

Got a callback interview with NJPD next month. Any tips? What should I expect?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Feb 17, 2017 12:55 am

Anonymous User wrote:^^ive been asked that question on nearly every PD interview I've been on and I'm still not entirely sure what the correct answer is. I generally take the approach of recognizing and owning my privilege because I'm not sure there's an answer beyond that.

FWIW I answered that way and have an offer at a prestigious office so who knows
That's so bizarre. I feel like I would have had that question by now, and I haven't.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

mazatec

New

Post by mazatec » Mon Feb 20, 2017 1:54 pm

mazatec wrote:Got a callback interview with NJPD next month. Any tips? What should I expect?
BUMP. Anyone?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Feb 21, 2017 9:44 am

mazatec wrote:
mazatec wrote:Got a callback interview with NJPD next month. Any tips? What should I expect?
BUMP. Anyone?
I have one next week. It's with the head of the office. He's kind of an intense guy, from what I've heard.

HillandHollow

Bronze

Post by HillandHollow » Tue Feb 21, 2017 12:21 pm

mazatec wrote:Does anyone else have no idea what state they're taking the bar in? :?

That was my situation all through 3L. I ended up taking the bar where my family lived/I am from, because I was able to stay there for free, and it happens to be a UBE state. I guess most people know generally where they want to go, but I didn't, and I ended up somewhere totally unexpected (but also a UBE state).

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Feb 21, 2017 2:03 pm

just FYI, I applied to Massachusetts Committee for Assigned counsel back in December. Just got an email asking me to submit a form (a more extensive application).

I already accepted somewhere else so I'm not continuing with the process, but If anyone applied there, don't ignore the email just b/c it looks like spam...

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

mazatec

New

Post by mazatec » Tue Feb 21, 2017 3:49 pm

HillandHollow wrote:
mazatec wrote:Does anyone else have no idea what state they're taking the bar in? :?

That was my situation all through 3L. I ended up taking the bar where my family lived/I am from, because I was able to stay there for free, and it happens to be a UBE state. I guess most people know generally where they want to go, but I didn't, and I ended up somewhere totally unexpected (but also a UBE state).
Just got a state trial court clerkship in the criminal division! Hopefully someone here gets my NJOPD interview spot!

mazatec

New

Post by mazatec » Tue Feb 21, 2017 3:50 pm

Anonymous User wrote:just FYI, I applied to Massachusetts Committee for Assigned counsel back in December. Just got an email asking me to submit a form (a more extensive application).

I already accepted somewhere else so I'm not continuing with the process, but If anyone applied there, don't ignore the email just b/c it looks like spam...
I got that email too. I applied to the Youth Advocacy Division in Worcester, MA.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Feb 25, 2017 10:20 am

Does anyone know if LAS is still offering final round interviews?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Feb 25, 2017 1:45 pm

mazatec wrote:By the way, had a screener with the Montgomery County Public Defender recently.
I have an interview with them coming up. How was it?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Public Interest & Government”