3L Public Defender Applications Forum

(Issue areas, International Law, International Public Interest, Public Service in the private sector, Non-Profits, Public Interest Organizations, Government/ government agencies, employment settings)
Anonymous User

Re: 3L Public Defender Applications

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Mar 14, 2018 1:22 pm

Hey all!

I'm putting this out there for anyone still applying to places. If you are a recent grad coming from a legal fellowship or a clerkship, King County just put up a job listing for public defense attorneys.

Just an fyi. Would have applied myself had I known this would be coming.

BattleoftheForms

New

Post by BattleoftheForms » Mon Mar 19, 2018 2:53 pm

Broncsfan wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Has anyone who accepted an offer from Colorado received any further information from them?
Just a brief reply email to my follow-up email. What kind of information are you looking for? I don't think much more will come until late in the spring or early summer.
Hey, all! I’ve accepted a CO position, too! I also heard the next thing we’ll hear is late spring...trying not to think too much about it because I desperately want to know where I’m going, haha.

Congrats to you both!

If any of you are placed in Pueblo, let me know. Born and raised there and did two summers at the office. A lot of people don't want to get placed there but I think it's a great place, especially to begin a career as a PD.
Thanks! Definitely will reach out if I get placed there—I would love to go to Pueblo.

Has anyone else going to CO heard anything about placement yet?

busylittlebee

New

Post by busylittlebee » Sat Mar 24, 2018 1:25 pm

BattleoftheForms wrote:
Broncsfan wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Has anyone who accepted an offer from Colorado received any further information from them?
Just a brief reply email to my follow-up email. What kind of information are you looking for? I don't think much more will come until late in the spring or early summer.
Hey, all! I’ve accepted a CO position, too! I also heard the next thing we’ll hear is late spring...trying not to think too much about it because I desperately want to know where I’m going, haha.

Congrats to you both!

If any of you are placed in Pueblo, let me know. Born and raised there and did two summers at the office. A lot of people don't want to get placed there but I think it's a great place, especially to begin a career as a PD.
Thanks! Definitely will reach out if I get placed there—I would love to go to Pueblo.

Heading to CO, but I haven't heard anything yet.

mtaclic

New

Post by mtaclic » Mon Apr 16, 2018 7:40 pm

Has anyone applied and heard back from Legal Aid Society Juvenile Rights Practice (NYC)? Or had a final interview with attorney-in-charge?

satu8030

New

Post by satu8030 » Fri Apr 20, 2018 2:52 pm

mtaclic wrote:Has anyone applied and heard back from Legal Aid Society Juvenile Rights Practice (NYC)? Or had a final interview with attorney-in-charge?
I applied to the Brooklyn JRP Unit--I had a final interview with the attorney-in-charge at the end of February. AIC said offers wouldn't come until May. I even tried to leverage with a job offer but still nothing. :(. DId you apply?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Apr 20, 2018 3:00 pm

satu8030 wrote:
mtaclic wrote:Has anyone applied and heard back from Legal Aid Society Juvenile Rights Practice (NYC)? Or had a final interview with attorney-in-charge?
I applied to the Brooklyn JRP Unit--I had a final interview with the attorney-in-charge at the end of February. AIC said offers wouldn't come until May. I even tried to leverage with a job offer but still nothing. :(. DId you apply?
I had my final interview beginning of April. How did your interview go? Did you intern previously?

SavvyLaw

New

Post by SavvyLaw » Sat Apr 21, 2018 3:34 pm

Had three rounds of interviews for NM. Finally was told funding was limited in my chosen office.
Had a practical for Marion County (Indy) offered a job but declined.
Offered a job with Colorado- Accepted!
Declined to Interview with Wisconsin because accepted Colorado!

Anyone with more information on Colorado I would love to chat. I know all of the basics about placement and what not. I am more looking for information about experiences with it. I sent my start date email and requested January since I am coming from TX. Hoping by chance to be placed in rural southern Colorado. Any thought?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Apr 21, 2018 3:38 pm

busylittlebee wrote:
BattleoftheForms wrote:
Broncsfan wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Congrats to you both!

I also really want to be placed in Pueblo! It’s my understanding that we have no say in the placement. Anyone talk with anyone from previous years to see how it works? I heard of someone who had a very short placement time frame.

Also what did y’all say to the start date email?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Apr 21, 2018 4:31 pm

hahayahah wrote:Longtime lurker, first-time poster.

I'd really appreciate hearing from anyone with any insight or advice on the Skype interview with Colorado.
Do you already interview? I’m assuming so. Update?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

vp6890

New

Post by vp6890 » Sat Apr 21, 2018 6:48 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
busylittlebee wrote:
BattleoftheForms wrote:
Broncsfan wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Congrats to you both!

I also really want to be placed in Pueblo! It’s my understanding that we have no say in the placement. Anyone talk with anyone from previous years to see how it works? I heard of someone who had a very short placement time frame.

I am heading to Colorado as well, and I responded to the start date email. I basically just responded and said when I was available to start. I was hoping to start in August of this year. I was told that the office would try to let me know where I will be placed a month in advance.

SoSueMe

New

Post by SoSueMe » Mon Apr 23, 2018 12:16 am

I got an offer for Colorado the day after I was interview. I really like the office, and the culture, but sadly I had to turn down the offer. I had some family stuff. Would have been cool to graduate with a job, but family stuff came to light that made me not want to leave my home state. For anyone who is considering or accepted Colorado, it is a very good position.

RCSOB657

Gold

Post by RCSOB657 » Mon Apr 23, 2018 9:23 am

SoSueMe wrote:I got an offer for Colorado the day after I was interview. I really like the office, and the culture, but sadly I had to turn down the offer. I had some family stuff. Would have been cool to graduate with a job, but family stuff came to light that made me not want to leave my home state. For anyone who is considering or accepted Colorado, it is a very good position.
That's awesome they got back to you so soon. I've been ghosted by another state going on 7 weeks now.

BattleoftheForms

New

Post by BattleoftheForms » Tue Apr 24, 2018 12:37 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
I am heading to Colorado as well, and I responded to the start date email. I basically just responded and said when I was available to start. I was hoping to start in August of this year. I was told that the office would try to let me know where I will be placed a month in advance.
I told them mid-August, but I'm expecting it could be much later than that. I was also told they try to give everyone about a month's notice, especially for those coming from out-of-state.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

BattleoftheForms

New

Post by BattleoftheForms » Tue Apr 24, 2018 12:41 pm

SavvyLaw wrote:Had three rounds of interviews for NM. Finally was told funding was limited in my chosen office.
Had a practical for Marion County (Indy) offered a job but declined.
Offered a job with Colorado- Accepted!
Declined to Interview with Wisconsin because accepted Colorado!

Anyone with more information on Colorado I would love to chat. I know all of the basics about placement and what not. I am more looking for information about experiences with it. I sent my start date email and requested January since I am coming from TX. Hoping by chance to be placed in rural southern Colorado. Any thought?
Congrats!!! Hope to see you out in CO. :)

Which location were you interviewing with in NM?

vp6890

New

Post by vp6890 » Tue Apr 24, 2018 1:09 pm

BattleoftheForms wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
I told them mid-August, but I'm expecting it could be much later than that. I was also told they try to give everyone about a month's notice, especially for those coming from out-of-state.
Right on. I am excited. I am also hoping I can find a place to rent. Not really sure how it'll work seeing as how my current lease ends mid-august, and I indicated that I want to start mid-august. I suppose I'll figure it out.

satu8030

New

Post by satu8030 » Tue Apr 24, 2018 4:37 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
satu8030 wrote:
I had my final interview beginning of April. How did your interview go? Did you intern previously?
I'm honestly not sure. I have interned for the Legal Aid (criminal division). I'm hoping to hear back soon---how'd your interview go? Did they give you a date to hear back?

mtaclic

New

Post by mtaclic » Tue Apr 24, 2018 5:01 pm

satu8030 wrote:
Yeah I applied but I haven't heard anything. How do you think the interview went? I thought I did really well in my panel - but I couldn't tell in my final round.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Apr 26, 2018 4:16 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
busylittlebee wrote:
BattleoftheForms wrote:
Broncsfan wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Congrats to you both!

I told them mid-September onward.

Also, just an FYI for CO people, I was cleared to sit for the CO Bar Exam! It's on folks.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed May 02, 2018 4:52 pm

mtaclic wrote:
satu8030 wrote:
Yeah I applied but I haven't heard anything. How do you think the interview went? I thought I did really well in my panel - but I couldn't tell in my final round.
Have you heard anything? Still nothing on my end. Thinking about sending an email.

vp6890

New

Post by vp6890 » Thu May 03, 2018 2:01 pm

Just a brief reply email to my follow-up email. What kind of information are you looking for? I don't think much more will come until late in the spring or early summer.[/quote]

Congrats to you both![/quote]

If any of you are placed in Pueblo, let me know. Born and raised there and did two summers at the office. A lot of people don't want to get placed there but I think it's a great place, especially to begin a career as a PD.[/quote]

Has anyone else going to CO heard anything about placement yet?[/quote]

Heading to CO, but I haven't heard anything yet.[/quote]

Also what did y’all say to the start date email?[/quote]

Also, just an FYI for CO people, I was cleared to sit for the CO Bar Exam! It's on folks.[/quote]

Does anyone have any advice for someone who is moving to Colorado from out-of-state? My start date is in August, my lease ends in August, and I have to move all my stuff out there. I am just trying to figure out how I am going to find a place to live when I won't know where I will be placed until possibly July. Does anyone know if it will be difficult to find a place to live a month in advance? Does anyone know if it will be difficult to find a moving truck to rent/something else a month in advance?

vp6890

New

Post by vp6890 » Thu May 03, 2018 3:17 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
busylittlebee wrote:
BattleoftheForms wrote:
Broncsfan wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Congrats to you both!

Also, just an FYI for CO people, I was cleared to sit for the CO Bar Exam! It's on folks.
Does anyone have any advice for someone who is moving to Colorado from out-of-state? My start date is in August, my lease ends in August, and I have to move all my stuff out there. I am just trying to figure out how I am going to find a place to live when I won't know where I will be placed until possibly July. Does anyone know if it will be difficult to find a place to live a month in advance? Does anyone know if it will be difficult to find a moving truck to rent/something else a month in advance?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri May 04, 2018 4:42 pm

has anybody heard anything from Legal Aid from the criminal division? had a tina interview like, six weeks ago, and crickets since...

moreprejthanprob

New

Post by moreprejthanprob » Mon May 07, 2018 4:15 pm

Anonymous User wrote:has anybody heard anything from Legal Aid from the criminal division? had a tina interview like, six weeks ago, and crickets since...
I received a verbal offer in January (interview with Tina in mid-December) and just received the official offer letter today. Good luck!

mtaclic

New

Post by mtaclic » Mon May 07, 2018 4:26 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
mtaclic wrote:
satu8030 wrote:
Have you heard anything? Still nothing on my end. Thinking about sending an email.
No not yet - I really hope I hear back soon. At least a rejection if anything so I can figure everything out.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri May 11, 2018 2:54 pm

Another shot at getting on with LOPDNM.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Public Interest & Government”