3L Public Defender Applications Forum

(Issue areas, International Law, International Public Interest, Public Service in the private sector, Non-Profits, Public Interest Organizations, Government/ government agencies, employment settings)
Anonymous User

Re: 3L Public Defender Applications

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jan 30, 2013 4:28 pm

I'm the poster from above. Yes, I'm at the final interview though it is with Tina Luongo and not Seymour James. Thank you for your advice that there may be some hypos. Hope it works out!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jan 30, 2013 8:05 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I'm the poster from above. Yes, I'm at the final interview though it is with Tina Luongo and not Seymour James. Thank you for your advice that there may be some hypos. Hope it works out!
When did you have your panel interview?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jan 30, 2013 10:22 pm

December

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jan 31, 2013 12:43 am

I have an interview with NJ next week (my first), and I'm surprised and confused that offers already went out. Anyone know what the interview process is like for NJ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jan 31, 2013 9:54 am

Anonymous User wrote:I have an interview with NJ next week (my first), and I'm surprised and confused that offers already went out. Anyone know what the interview process is like for NJ?
Anybody who got a NJ offer know?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:29 pm

Bump

research67

New

Post by research67 » Fri Feb 01, 2013 1:09 pm

Anyone know if/when Legal Aid is making early offers?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Feb 01, 2013 1:29 pm

research67 wrote:Anyone know if/when Legal Aid is making early offers?
I know of one person who has already received an offer, but I know that most applications are being deferred until May/June. The most recent class size was 70 attorneys, and the Fall 2013 class should also be about that size.

research67

New

Post by research67 » Fri Feb 01, 2013 6:25 pm

Did the person you know get the offer recently?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

research67

New

Post by research67 » Fri Feb 01, 2013 6:26 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
I know of one person who has already received an offer, but I know that most applications are being deferred until May/June. The most recent class size was 70 attorneys, and the Fall 2013 class should also be about that size.

jlb815

New

Post by jlb815 » Fri Feb 01, 2013 11:30 pm

research67 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
research67 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
I just finished my final round with Tina. She said offers aren't coming until April/May and that the early application thing isn't happening this year for those of us who did it because of Sandy. No idea about numbers but probably around 60 or 70 depending on funding. Are you sure someone already got an offer?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Feb 02, 2013 10:17 am

I interviewed with Tina last Monday and she said that there would be some early offers made that same week, meaning the one that just ended. But I haven't heard of anybody getting an offer yet.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Feb 02, 2013 10:19 am

Has anyone know if Brooklyn Defender Services have extended any offers or if they have scheduled 3rd round interviews?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Feb 03, 2013 11:22 am

Anonymous User wrote:I interviewed with Tina last Monday and she said that there would be some early offers made that same week, meaning the one that just ended. But I haven't heard of anybody getting an offer yet.
Has anyone received any word from Legal Aid? Weren't they also supposed to start letting people know last week if they were deferred to the regular decision period?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Feb 03, 2013 3:39 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I have an interview with NJ next week (my first), and I'm surprised and confused that offers already went out. Anyone know what the interview process is like for NJ?
I just want to bump this one more time, and then I'll assume that nobody has an answer. Some anon posters earlier in this thread mentioned that they had offers from NJ- if any one of you is reading this, could you please let me know what your interview process was like? How many rounds? What specific positions were they looking for? What's your school/GPA/rank range?

Thanks guys.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Feb 03, 2013 4:40 pm

Anyone know what's going on with Philly? Are they still doing interviews?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Feb 03, 2013 7:42 pm

jlb815 wrote:
research67 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
research67 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
I just finished my final round with Tina. She said offers aren't coming until April/May and that the early application thing isn't happening this year for those of us who did it because of Sandy. No idea about numbers but probably around 60 or 70 depending on funding. Are you sure someone already got an offer?
Yes, I am sure that the one person got an offer - but she was an intern here before, so maybe that's why?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Feb 03, 2013 10:00 pm

My understanding from the HR person I spoke to at Legal Aid some time ago was that the early notification wound up actually only being for former interns and not people who met that date they listed... unless of course, that has changed but that might explain why only a former intern got an early offer.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Feb 04, 2013 1:55 am

Anonymous User wrote:
I just want to bump this one more time, and then I'll assume that nobody has an answer. Some anon posters earlier in this thread mentioned that they had offers from NJ- if any one of you is reading this, could you please let me know what your interview process was like? How many rounds? What specific positions were they looking for? What's your school/GPA/rank range?

Thanks guys.
First round is typical screener. Second round is up to 90 min panel interview based on a hypo they give you in advance.

At least, this is what they did for the ~4 schools they visited for OCI.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Feb 04, 2013 8:08 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Thanks guys.
First round is typical screener. Second round is up to 90 min panel interview based on a hypo they give you in advance.

I'm the desperate NJ applicant you responded to. Thanks for this. I wonder why they're still interviewing after OCI- maybe not enough people accepted? Which schools did they visit? Was it Columbia/NYU/Fordham or more like Rutgers/Seton Hall/Brooklyn?

Void

Silver

Post by Void » Mon Feb 04, 2013 11:03 am

Kind of a dumb question for you guys: I've heard that public defenders "don't care about grades." I understand that the idea is that if you have low grades, that's not necessarily going to hold you back, but is it also true that if you have good grades, they won't be considered a bonus?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Feb 04, 2013 11:50 am

Anonymous User wrote:Has anyone know if Brooklyn Defender Services have extended any offers or if they have scheduled 3rd round interviews?
Not that I know of, yet. The woman I spoke with there said that the earliest offers would be going out is March. Wasn't very clear as to whether they were doing third interviews or not.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Feb 04, 2013 3:54 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Thanks guys.

I'm the desperate NJ applicant you responded to. Thanks for this. I wonder why they're still interviewing after OCI- maybe not enough people accepted? Which schools did they visit? Was it Columbia/NYU/Fordham or more like Rutgers/Seton Hall/Brooklyn?
Definitely Cornell and Columbia. I believe they also hit up Rutgers. I'm uncertain whether they visited NYU or Seton Hall. Pretty sure they didn't go to Brooklyn. It was an interesting range of schools, the rationale for which isn't entirely clear to me. (Besides Cornell--the head of the PD's office went to school there.)

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Feb 04, 2013 7:26 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Definitely Cornell and Columbia. I believe they also hit up Rutgers. I'm uncertain whether they visited NYU or Seton Hall. Pretty sure they didn't go to Brooklyn. It was an interesting range of schools, the rationale for which isn't entirely clear to me. (Besides Cornell--the head of the PD's office went to school there.)
NJ hopeful here again... So I guess it's possible that they're continuing to interview because not enough people accepted their initial offers- seeing that they visited schools where applicants likely have lots of options. But really, I'm totally just speculating like a crazy person. I'm a 3L at a school outside of the NJ region so it's good to get a little perspective on the situation might be- Thanks again for your info.

iShotFirst

Bronze

Post by iShotFirst » Mon Feb 04, 2013 7:30 pm

Void wrote:Kind of a dumb question for you guys: I've heard that public defenders "don't care about grades." I understand that the idea is that if you have low grades, that's not necessarily going to hold you back, but is it also true that if you have good grades, they won't be considered a bonus?
Good grades are always a bonus, even in PD/DA offices. What that phrase means is that they aren't weighted as heavily, and someone who comes across (in their resume and in person) as dedicated to that type of work will beat someone even with much better grades who treats it as a fallback.

Dedication is #1...and #2, and #3, but that doesnt mean they dont respect a healthy GPA.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Public Interest & Government”