Philadelphia DA Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: Philadelphia DA

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Mar 18, 2013 9:18 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:tough comparison because so few people are clamoring for DA jobs in FL GA AL.
The idea that people aren't clamoring for positions in the Southeast isn't grounded in reality. There sure are enough people in here clamoring for work at the Miami SAO alone without even accounting for other desirable and competitive Florida districts that don't get mentioned as much because otherwise this forum's USA almost entirely revolves around NYC. Also, you're a fool if you think there aren't a lot of people trying to get into the Atlanta office. Anyway, those were just examples...it's pretty much common knowledge among those who want to be an ADA/ASA nowadays that they have to fight for a position, no matter where they are.
I'm at Emory and have interned in most of the metro Atlanta offices. Prosecution in Atlanta is best described as an ass backwards clusterfuck. There are two offices for each county and there are about six counties that make up metro Atlanta. That's because in this part of Georgia, someone thought it was a good idea to separate misdemeanor and felony prosecution. Combine that with Georgia having 187 counties, second only to Texas. This creates an issue for young prosecutors because its very easy to get caught in the misdemeanor, also know as solicitor, offices for years. The DA offices here that prosecute felonies are on the bubba system and won't hire unless you know the boss or have worked as a solicitor for a long, long time.

I can't speak for other offices because I haven't worked anywhere but Georgia but I know that bigger offices in the southeast, ones probably like Miami, are going give the newbies a lot more to go for and upward mobility. Most offices in the northeast like Manhattan, or other NYC offices aren't separated by degree of crime either. This allows prosecutors to move into felonies much easier than from having to jump offices.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:24 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:tough comparison because so few people are clamoring for DA jobs in FL GA AL.
The idea that people aren't clamoring for positions in the Southeast isn't grounded in reality. There sure are enough people in here clamoring for work at the Miami SAO alone without even accounting for other desirable and competitive Florida districts that don't get mentioned as much because otherwise this forum's USA almost entirely revolves around NYC. Also, you're a fool if you think there aren't a lot of people trying to get into the Atlanta office. Anyway, those were just examples...it's pretty much common knowledge among those who want to be an ADA/ASA nowadays that they have to fight for a position, no matter where they are.
I'm at Emory and have interned in most of the metro Atlanta offices. Prosecution in Atlanta is best described as an ass backwards clusterfuck. There are two offices for each county and there are about six counties that make up metro Atlanta. That's because in this part of Georgia, someone thought it was a good idea to separate misdemeanor and felony prosecution. Combine that with Georgia having 187 counties, second only to Texas. This creates an issue for young prosecutors because its very easy to get caught in the misdemeanor, also know as solicitor, offices for years. The DA offices here that prosecute felonies are on the bubba system and won't hire unless you know the boss or have worked as a solicitor for a long, long time.

I can't speak for other offices because I haven't worked anywhere but Georgia but I know that bigger offices in the southeast, ones probably like Miami, are going give the newbies a lot more to go for and upward mobility. Most offices in the northeast like Manhattan, or other NYC offices aren't separated by degree of crime either. This allows prosecutors to move into felonies much easier than from having to jump offices.
Actually, that sounds par for the course. All the big offices I know have you doing nothing but misdemeanors and prelims until you've paid your dues. If there are budget issues, they are especially slow to promote. Maybe Atlanta is more political about promotions, I don't know, but taking years to try felonies is pretty standard. This includes Miami, Philly, and so on. From my experience and from what I always hear, the smaller offices actually move newbies along a hell of a lot faster and you're more likely to be doing prelims/misdos/Juvenile for multiple years in big offices. You're not usually touching an adult felony trial (with the exception of an ungraded felony PWID for pot, which brings light enough penalties to bring it into Municipal Court) until at least your 3rd year in Philadelphia. In the suburban offices, though, it may only be a matter of months. If you want to handle bigger cases at a quicker pace, you go for small offices. There's a chance you may even be thrown into a jury trial on the first day in some of those small offices.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Mar 20, 2013 1:12 pm

I'm a 3L with an offer at the Miami SAO. I was told towards the end of my second year that I would be doing felonies. I can't imagine being stuck in misdeamnor land for 4 or 5 years. Manhattan also indicated that I would have been able to take on a felony case load after three years.

Rootbeer

New

Post by Rootbeer » Wed Mar 20, 2013 5:52 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I'm a 3L with an offer at the Miami SAO. I was told towards the end of my second year that I would be doing felonies. I can't imagine being stuck in misdeamnor land for 4 or 5 years. Manhattan also indicated that I would have been able to take on a felony case load after three years.
They told me similar when I interviewed with them. I think in most big offices, it's going to be 3rd year from the sound of it. Though, maybe sooner if you count Juvenile and the office puts people through it.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Mar 21, 2013 12:04 am

Anonymous User wrote:I'm a 3L with an offer at the Miami SAO. I was told towards the end of my second year that I would be doing felonies. I can't imagine being stuck in misdeamnor land for 4 or 5 years. Manhattan also indicated that I would have been able to take on a felony case load after three years.

I also have a Miami offer. If you don't mind me asking do you plan on accepting? I have about 2 weeks left to decide.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Mar 21, 2013 7:38 am

Anonymous User wrote:

I also have a Miami offer. If you don't mind me asking do you plan on accepting? I have about 2 weeks left to decide.
I accepted a while back, I think my offer was from the middle of November.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Dec 03, 2014 6:06 pm

Thread has been quiet for this year. Any movements?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 25, 2015 11:03 am

Got my offer several months ago but haven't heard anything since. Anyone get anything since the offer packet? I don't even have info on the background check, health insurance forms, etc. and I'm getting a little nervous that they've forgotten about me or something.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Mar 27, 2016 1:47 am

Anyone have any idea what lateral hiring is like?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu May 11, 2017 1:17 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Anyone have any idea what lateral hiring is like?
Bump re: this question.

Lulamalenstwo

New

Post by Lulamalenstwo » Wed Jun 21, 2017 3:53 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
If you have any specific questions regarding lateral hiring,shoot!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jun 22, 2017 10:16 am

Lulamalenstwo wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
I am a first year biglaw associate in NY and have a clerkship lined up for 18-19, but I don't want to spend 17-18 at this firm. I graduated top third from CCN and have a heavy background in criminal law (relative for a first-year graduate). Do I have a chance at getting hired? I'd like to come back after the clerkship.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jun 22, 2017 10:57 am

I am a first year biglaw associate in NY and have a clerkship lined up for 18-19, but I don't want to spend 17-18 at this firm. I graduated top third from CCN and have a heavy background in criminal law (relative for a first-year graduate). Do I have a chance at getting hired? I'd like to come back after the clerkship.[/quote]

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Lulamalenstwo

New

Post by Lulamalenstwo » Thu Jun 22, 2017 11:02 am

It all depends on a variety of factors, but I would certainly give it a try. When is your clerkship over?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jun 22, 2017 11:52 am

I assume you need a PA license just to apply (as a lateral) right?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jun 22, 2017 12:13 pm

Lulamalenstwo wrote:It all depends on a variety of factors, but I would certainly give it a try. When is your clerkship over?
My clerkship starts September 1, 2018 and ends August 31, 2019. The judge is flexible with my start and end dates though (about 2 week flexibility in either direction for either date).

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jun 23, 2017 5:04 pm

Lulamalenstwo wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Do you (or did) work at the Philly DA's office?

If so, do you think there is going to be a mass exodus (either voluntarily or involuntarily) when Larry Kranser assumes office next year?

Also, is the hiring process for lateral candidates basically the same as 3Ls? I knew 3Ls that had applied there so I somewhat know how the interview process went.

And, does post-grad work experience give you a boost even if it doesn't relate to crim law (i.e. an associate at a civil firm)?

Thanks.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jun 23, 2017 10:09 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Lulamalenstwo wrote:It all depends on a variety of factors, but I would certainly give it a try. When is your clerkship over?
My clerkship starts September 1, 2018 and ends August 31, 2019. The judge is flexible with my start and end dates though (about 2 week flexibility in either direction for either date).
You should apply in late spring/summer of 2019. The lateral application period currently is open all year long.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jun 23, 2017 10:16 pm

Yes the process is the same for 3Ls and laterals. Once your application is received, you will hear back whether or not you will be moving forward to the initial interview (one on one interview). If you are recommended for a panel interview, you will interview with a panel of about 6 members of the hiring committee.

Post grad work counts but.....I think the bigger question you should prepare yourself for is WHY Philly? What is it about the Philly DA's Office that entices you? Being passionate about becoming a prosecutor and being prepared to convey that in a genuine way is far more important than post grad experience.......

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Sep 17, 2018 3:11 pm

Although this forum has been inactive for almost a year, I am wondering if anyone can further speak about the lateral application process. I am a T14 graduate and a Biglaw associate in a major market with ties to Philadelphia. I recently submitted a lateral application, and have a number of questions to which I couldn't find clear answers in this or other forums, including: how long it typically takes to hear back with regard to whether I will move forward with a screener interview; and, if I am not selected, whether reapplying for the position is looked upon favorably, and, if so, how long I should wait to reapply. I am also wondering if anyone can offer tips regarding how I can boost my candidacy for a position (e.g., key individuals to whom I could reach out on platforms such as Linkedin). Thanks.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 18, 2018 10:44 am

Anonymous User wrote:Although this forum has been inactive for almost a year, I am wondering if anyone can further speak about the lateral application process. I am a T14 graduate and a Biglaw associate in a major market with ties to Philadelphia. I recently submitted a lateral application, and have a number of questions to which I couldn't find clear answers in this or other forums, including: how long it typically takes to hear back with regard to whether I will move forward with a screener interview; and, if I am not selected, whether reapplying for the position is looked upon favorably, and, if so, how long I should wait to reapply. I am also wondering if anyone can offer tips regarding how I can boost my candidacy for a position (e.g., key individuals to whom I could reach out on platforms such as Linkedin). Thanks.
I'm interested in this as well. I'm about 3-4 years out of law school and applied there last December through Krasner's transition team website. I received notification that they received my application, but almost a year later I still haven't been contacted for an interview...

I was a little shocked because I figured I would at least land an initial interview.

Has anyone ever had success reapplying somewhere? And how long would you recommend waiting? A year?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”