Philadelphia DA Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: Philadelphia DA

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Mar 06, 2013 1:09 pm

*Illinois*
I don't know what to think about this either. I called yesterday and was told to contact George Mosee. I think we are all in for a long wait and this does not sound good.

I know of a person that received a WL offer within the last few days. This person would not give my any additional information, however.

I will post if I learn anything new.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Mar 08, 2013 9:46 am

Has anyone on the WL contacted George Mosee?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Mar 08, 2013 11:00 am

*Illinois*
I emailed 7 days ago and he never responded. Has anyone else heard anything?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Mar 08, 2013 11:03 am

Me too . . . no response.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Mar 08, 2013 10:04 pm

*PA*

I emailed about a week ago. No response. This whole process is absolutely ridiculous. Guarantee no answer this week either.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Myself

Silver

Post by Myself » Sat Mar 09, 2013 1:04 pm

Last edited by Myself on Mon Nov 25, 2013 12:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Mar 12, 2013 12:18 pm

It is the beginning of another week. Has anyone heard anything?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Mar 12, 2013 11:01 pm

Mossee responded to me saying that all final hiring decisions have been made. My credentials were great, info on file, please apply again, blah blah blah blah blah...

Myself

Silver

Post by Myself » Tue Mar 12, 2013 11:34 pm

Last edited by Myself on Mon Nov 25, 2013 12:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Mar 13, 2013 8:34 pm

I am sorry to hear that. I have emailed Mosee several times and he has never responded. Did you call or did he respond to your email? Thanks for the information. I wish the best. Has anyone else heard anything?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Mar 13, 2013 10:33 pm

He emailed me back with that response after about a week and a half.

Myself

Silver

Post by Myself » Thu Mar 14, 2013 12:41 am

Last edited by Myself on Mon Nov 25, 2013 12:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Mar 14, 2013 10:09 am

Thanks for the for the information. I am probably getting the same email very shortly. This whole process has been frustrating. Good luck to those waiting to hear anything.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Mar 14, 2013 1:12 pm

These guys are incredibly busy and understaffed for the city's/office's size. Unfortunately, that results in a lot of unanswered e-mails and delayed responses. In any case, I would almost certainly not count on getting an offer if you haven't been phoned yet...the budget didn't leave much room for crossed fingers.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Mar 15, 2013 9:46 am

Of course the office is busy, but that is not an excuse for disorganization and lack of consideration. Candidates invested a lot of time, money, and energy in applying. The office found time to interview 700 candidates for 25 positions. If the office is too busy they should not have interviewed so many candidates. It is not a lot to EXPECT a response to an application. Some WL candidates have heard nothing and had to call to learn their WL status. From reading through several posts, this employer looks incredibly unprofessional and disorganized and having a small budget and being too busy are poor excuses for their actions.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Mar 15, 2013 5:02 pm

Just got my letter of rejection from Mossee. So much for hoping for waitlist spots. I want to hear of ONE person that got an offer from the waitlist...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Mar 15, 2013 10:12 pm

I am sorry to hear about your letter. Did you receive an email or regular mail? I ask because I have not received either. I have given up almost all hope, but I am still hoping .001%. I also have not heard of any WL people getting an offer. :( It is hard to be so close yet so far from an offer. Good Luck to you.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Mar 16, 2013 5:26 pm

I just received my Philly DA rejection from the WL. I am done with the Philly Da's office.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Mar 16, 2013 7:04 pm

If you guys are bitter about getting rejected after months and months of waiting, try getting rejected after putting in months and months of work for them.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Mar 16, 2013 7:12 pm

I feel bad for you. I am sorry that you invested so much of your time and energy in that office. After this application process, I am done with the Philly DA's office. There are better DA's offices for all of us. Good Luck in your job search.

adonai

Silver

Post by adonai » Sat Mar 16, 2013 8:03 pm

Anonymous User wrote:If you guys are bitter about getting rejected after months and months of waiting, try getting rejected after putting in months and months of work for them.
That is terrible, and I am sorry for that happening to you. Just goes to show that it is a buyer's market and employers will do what's best for them, not what's right in the moral sense.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Mar 16, 2013 10:19 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I feel bad for you. I am sorry that you invested so much of your time and energy in that office. After this application process, I am done with the Philly DA's office. There are better DA's offices for all of us. Good Luck in your job search.
Appreciated. For me though, I can't say I'm totally done with it since I don't want to grind as an ADA if it's not in an office I like or a place care about. Despite the disappointment, I still like the office a lot and care about Philadelphia. There might be a better office out there for me, but I know from experience that if it exists, it's not in the Philadelphia area. I may yet decide to be dumb and keep trying. I also can't say that I totally regret investing the time and energy, since I've learned a hell of a lot from the work and my resume looks fantastic for prosecution.

Not to say I don't have at least one sour grape swishing around in my mouth. But, when I step back and look at things, I don't think anyone here, including myself, should take the rejection personally. I've talked to enough people to know that there were serious budget issues this year and they had to give bad news to a lot of people they didn't want to. Considering all the chatter in this thread earlier about making more hires than usual this year, clearly the office expected a better budget. I think they should have interviewed less, but I don't think they were being flippant.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Mar 16, 2013 10:53 pm

adonai wrote:That is terrible, and I am sorry for that happening to you. Just goes to show that it is a buyer's market and employers will do what's best for them, not what's right in the moral sense.
Possibly the sour grape juice flowing, but I don't think the way they do hiring in the Northeast is even "what's best for them." I actually don't feel like they owe me anything at all. However, I do think it's a bad idea for a DA's Office to hire through a totally objective system like I've seen most often here. Maybe I'm uneducated/lacking experience on human resource issues, but if I were in charge of hiring, dedication and hard work would be way more important than Olympics-style ratings written down on sheets of paper. It's kind of like those dumb game shows where a contestant gets every question right except for the final question irrationally worth so much it makes the rest of the questions irrelevant. If someone's doing a good job and they show how important the work is to them, they're probably going to be a way better employee than a person who did marginally better during one interview. If people leave ADA jobs because it's a hell of a lot of work for not enough pay, it doesn't make sense to ignore the whole picture in favor of a more rigid grading/ranking system.

For what it's worth, I don't think hiring is like this everywhere. I know that busting your butt at a place has a bigger payoff in the FL/GA/AL region, as an example.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Mar 18, 2013 6:27 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
adonai wrote:That is terrible, and I am sorry for that happening to you. Just goes to show that it is a buyer's market and employers will do what's best for them, not what's right in the moral sense.
Possibly the sour grape juice flowing, but I don't think the way they do hiring in the Northeast is even "what's best for them." I actually don't feel like they owe me anything at all. However, I do think it's a bad idea for a DA's Office to hire through a totally objective system like I've seen most often here. Maybe I'm uneducated/lacking experience on human resource issues, but if I were in charge of hiring, dedication and hard work would be way more important than Olympics-style ratings written down on sheets of paper. It's kind of like those dumb game shows where a contestant gets every question right except for the final question irrationally worth so much it makes the rest of the questions irrelevant. If someone's doing a good job and they show how important the work is to them, they're probably going to be a way better employee than a person who did marginally better during one interview. If people leave ADA jobs because it's a hell of a lot of work for not enough pay, it doesn't make sense to ignore the whole picture in favor of a more rigid grading/ranking system.

For what it's worth, I don't think hiring is like this everywhere. I know that busting your butt at a place has a bigger payoff in the FL/GA/AL region, as an example.
tough comparison because so few people are clamoring for DA jobs in FL GA AL.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Mar 18, 2013 8:51 pm

Anonymous User wrote:tough comparison because so few people are clamoring for DA jobs in FL GA AL.
The idea that people aren't clamoring for positions in the Southeast isn't grounded in reality. There sure are enough people in here clamoring for work at the Miami SAO alone without even accounting for other desirable and competitive Florida districts that don't get mentioned as much because otherwise this forum's USA almost entirely revolves around NYC. Also, you're a fool if you think there aren't a lot of people trying to get into the Atlanta office. Anyway, those were just examples...it's pretty much common knowledge among those who want to be an ADA/ASA nowadays that they have to fight for a position, no matter where they are.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”