#1 Gig in Miami? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

#1 Gig

Greenberg Traurig
19%
Boies Schiller
30%
Weil Gotshal
18%
Podhurst Orseck
7%
Colson Hicks
2%
H&K
7%
White & Case
18%

Total votes: 182

Anonymous User

Re: #1 Gig in Miami?

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jun 20, 2018 6:30 pm

Is Akerman not doing a summer associate program anymore?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jun 20, 2018 7:07 pm

^ I don’t think there’s been a summer class in years. They mostly just hire lateral partners.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jun 20, 2018 7:42 pm

Anonymous User wrote:^ I don’t think there’s been a summer class in years. They mostly just hire lateral partners.
Well, that's strange. They have an office of 100+ people in Miami and they don't hire people out of law school?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jun 20, 2018 7:51 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:^ I don’t think there’s been a summer class in years. They mostly just hire lateral partners.
Well, that's strange. They have an office of 100+ people in Miami and they don't hire people out of law school?
I think they hire 3Ls.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jun 20, 2018 9:22 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
I work at Akerman. Just did an internal search and there are only 2 associates in the firm that graduated in 2017.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jun 23, 2018 3:52 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Miami will stay at 160. My firm got a lot of backlash from clients when they raised salaries/rates.

Top partners in Miami can only charge like 800-900/hr (there are exceptions). Many partners bill around 600-700/hr. Associates bill around 300-500/hr. In Miami (and FTL/Boca/WPB, since they seem to generally be one market) 160 is the most prevalent amount.

A poster mentioned above that the satellite offices rarely promote associates to partner, but if your goal is to make bank, go to one of the few market firms. Aside from White & Case, most of the satellite offices have fewer than 20 associates (probably closer to 10), so it’s a lot easier to pay them NY market. Also, the market firms aren’t really doing Miami work (or FL work in general). Those offices are just extensions of the NY office for the most part and do work for NY clients (and bill at NY rates).

You can’t compare Weil/JD/MWE Miami to GT/HK Miami.
Very helpful post. Within any single firm, do corporate rates differ meaningfully from real estate?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jun 23, 2018 4:54 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Miami will stay at 160. My firm got a lot of backlash from clients when they raised salaries/rates.

Top partners in Miami can only charge like 800-900/hr (there are exceptions). Many partners bill around 600-700/hr. Associates bill around 300-500/hr. In Miami (and FTL/Boca/WPB, since they seem to generally be one market) 160 is the most prevalent amount.

A poster mentioned above that the satellite offices rarely promote associates to partner, but if your goal is to make bank, go to one of the few market firms. Aside from White & Case, most of the satellite offices have fewer than 20 associates (probably closer to 10), so it’s a lot easier to pay them NY market. Also, the market firms aren’t really doing Miami work (or FL work in general). Those offices are just extensions of the NY office for the most part and do work for NY clients (and bill at NY rates).

Very helpful post. Within any single firm, do corporate rates differ meaningfully from real estate?
Different anon:

I can’t speak to all firms, but, at my firm, the corporate associates bill at higher rates (roughly $70 more an hour) than every other associate.

I don’t think the associates see the money, though. I think the firm has a range of salaries for each class year, so billing rate differences don’t mean more salary for associates. I think corporate is higher mainly to make up for some of the low, low rates the firm gets for large litigation clients.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jun 23, 2018 5:43 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Different anon:

I can’t speak to all firms, but, at my firm, the corporate associates bill at higher rates (roughly $70 more an hour) than every other associate.

I don’t think the associates see the money, though. I think the firm has a range of salaries for each class year, so billing rate differences don’t mean more salary for associates. I think corporate is higher mainly to make up for some of the low, low rates the firm gets for large litigation clients.
If you’re comfortable saying, is it one of the few top corporate firms in Miami? Trying to assess whether Corp plays second fiddle to RE even at the GTs of the world for long term internal opportunities. Thought billing rates might be a proxy for that.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jun 25, 2018 5:22 pm

With the stagnation of Miami firms moving associate salaries, is there any reason to pick any firm (other than maybe Boies) over White & Case?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jun 25, 2018 7:20 pm

Anonymous User wrote:With the stagnation of Miami firms moving associate salaries, is there any reason to pick any firm (other than maybe Boies) over White & Case?
Considering Weil, Morgan Lewis and MWE (and probably a few others) all pay the full NY scale, I can think of a few thousand reasons.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jun 25, 2018 9:50 pm

Are any Miami firms known to send associates abroad (LatAm) for a stint on US salary? White & Case? Others?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jun 29, 2018 4:10 pm

What is market for vacation days? HK has a depressingly low number on its website (10).

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jun 29, 2018 4:17 pm

GT offers 15 days.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jun 29, 2018 6:10 pm

Akerman is 15 days for your first 3 years then 20 days. 2 additional personal days as well.

PBateman1

Bronze

Post by PBateman1 » Sat Jun 30, 2018 2:58 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Akerman is 15 days for your first 3 years then 20 days. 2 additional personal days as well.
Are vacation days tracked at most firms? At mine as long as you make your hours and coordinate your time out of office with the partners you work with no one really thinks about it.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jun 30, 2018 3:21 pm

PBateman1 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Akerman is 15 days for your first 3 years then 20 days. 2 additional personal days as well.
Are vacation days tracked at most firms? At mine as long as you make your hours and coordinate your time out of office with the partners you work with no one really thinks about it.
Akerman associate. At my firm, it’s not strictly tracked. As long as you meet billables, no one really cares. Also, this is very team dependent, but sometimes I just go on a trip and work remotely and no one says anything.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jun 30, 2018 9:46 pm

PBateman1 wrote:
This is a good point. I thought HK had one of the better cultures and a strict 10 days didn’t stack up.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jul 02, 2018 11:23 am

Any 2Ls bidding Miami this summer/fall? Curious to see what everyone is thinking regarding firms

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jul 02, 2018 2:34 pm

I have interviews at Berger Singerman, Bilzin, and Weil. Anyone have any thoughts on these firms?

uncle_rico

New

Post by uncle_rico » Mon Jul 02, 2018 2:58 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I have interviews at Berger Singerman, Bilzin, and Weil. Anyone have any thoughts on these firms?
I'm pretty sure Weil has a very small office there and their focus is appellate work. Although they do pay market, you may want to consider somewhere else unless you're looking to really pigeonhole yourself

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jul 02, 2018 3:14 pm

uncle_rico wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I have interviews at Berger Singerman, Bilzin, and Weil. Anyone have any thoughts on these firms?
I'm pretty sure Weil has a very small office there and their focus is appellate work. Although they do pay market, you may want to consider somewhere else unless you're looking to really pigeonhole yourself
They specifically asked for "general commercial litigation" so I'm assuming that's the practice area they are hiring for

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 03, 2018 12:17 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
I work at Akerman. Just did an internal search and there are only 2 associates in the firm that graduated in 2017.
I'm interviewing at a non-Miami office of Akerman in the near future. Would you mind sharing what the pay scale is in the other Florida offices, generally?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 03, 2018 7:54 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
I'm interviewing at a non-Miami office of Akerman in the near future. Would you mind sharing what the pay scale is in the other Florida offices, generally?
This is a difficult question to answer (since I don’t think it’s posted anywhere).

I believe Miami/FTL/WPB are all at $160k. Not sure if you’re doing the interview through OCI or as a mid/junior, but from what I know, the salary increases are very compressed so even at a senior level, these associates are not going to be paid that much more than $160k.

I believe all the other Florida offices range from 120-145.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jul 06, 2018 11:46 pm

Geez...even Baker McKenzie raised to 190 in Miami (145 previously). Earth to GT.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 08, 2018 8:04 am

Would people take MWE over a GT/HK? In addition to the junior pay advantage, have seen a couple of attorneys elevated to partner in 6 years (corporate), but have no idea how long their equity track is or how partner pay compares to the native firms.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”