#1 Gig in Miami? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

#1 Gig

Greenberg Traurig
19%
Boies Schiller
30%
Weil Gotshal
18%
Podhurst Orseck
7%
Colson Hicks
2%
H&K
7%
White & Case
18%

Total votes: 182

sflyr2016

Bronze

Re: #1 Gig in Miami?

Post by sflyr2016 » Fri Jun 08, 2018 12:32 pm

Yup. Which means you likely won’t ever bring in biz. At all. So, that’s the trade off.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jun 13, 2018 10:15 am

Any advice on decisions for those of us likely getting jobs? I need to decide between major market (NY) vs. miami biglaw (ideally W&C/HK/GT) vs. Miami midlaw (Akerman/Bilzin).

Super vague question, I know, but would appreciate if anyone could outline the pros/cons or offer personal experience. Having a midlife crisis.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jun 13, 2018 11:29 am

Anonymous User wrote:Any advice on decisions for those of us likely getting jobs? I need to decide between major market (NY) vs. miami biglaw (ideally W&C/HK/GT) vs. Miami midlaw (Akerman/Bilzin).

Super vague question, I know, but would appreciate if anyone could outline the pros/cons or offer personal experience. Having a midlife crisis.
I work at Akerman. Akerman is regional, but in Miami it is not considered midlaw. I don’t think we have a summer class, though.

W&C is probably the best place for comp of the above firms. HK & GT have really suppressed compensation after first year. But partnership chances are probably better at those firms than at W&C.

NY at 190 or 200 is still a lower quality of life than 160+ in Miami, so, keep that in mind.

But if you’re not from FL and go to a top school, or are near the top of your class at UF/FSU/UM, I don’t think Miami is really an option.

redsox550

Post by redsox550 » Wed Jun 13, 2018 2:01 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Out of curiosity, where do firms like Carlton Fields/Gunster/Akerman/Shutts rank in Miami?
I think Akerman is the only one that pays Miami market ($160k). The others still pay $145k if I’m correct.
I believe Akerman only takes laterals...
Is that true? I thought I saw some junior associates on its site
That is not true, 100%

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jun 13, 2018 3:19 pm

redsox550 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Out of curiosity, where do firms like Carlton Fields/Gunster/Akerman/Shutts rank in Miami?
I think Akerman is the only one that pays Miami market ($160k). The others still pay $145k if I’m correct.
I believe Akerman only takes laterals...
Is that true? I thought I saw some junior associates on its site
That is not true, 100%
We have junior associates. We have some 2016/2017 graduates. We don’t have an official summer class but we do hire 3Ls.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jun 13, 2018 3:50 pm

Is there an unofficial summer class / worth sending an app with certain credentials?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jun 13, 2018 3:51 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Is there an unofficial summer class / worth sending an app with certain credentials?
^Meant to reply to the Akerman chain

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jun 13, 2018 5:12 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Is there an unofficial summer class / worth sending an app with certain credentials?
^Meant to reply to the Akerman chain
1) Miami/FLL/WPB for corporate is busy right now. So probably those offices.

2) Chicago and LA are expanding. I think mostly L&E.

3) Akerman is trying to expand its TX (Dallas, Houston, Austin, San Antonio?) offices, so maybe there. Not sure what practice area. I’m assuming corporate.

I’ve never heard of a summer outside of the Miami area offices.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jun 13, 2018 7:28 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Any advice on decisions for those of us likely getting jobs? I need to decide between major market (NY) vs. miami biglaw (ideally W&C/HK/GT) vs. Miami midlaw (Akerman/Bilzin).

Can’t speak to NY vs Miami; that depends on what your preferences are. But if you want Miami, a lot will depend on what you want to do.

I don’t recommend Akerman or Bilzin for corporate, but they, along with GT, should be at the top of your list if you’re interested in real estate or land use. And to be honest, Fl firms don’t really do real corporate work, so id aim for JD, W&C, or MWE which get a sizable amount of work from other offices. As for lit, W&C has a good group down here, but GT, HK, Bilzin and Akerman are probably better options if you want to be here long term as they have good lit groups and are heavily involved locally. Which is important.

Stearns should be in the running too, at least for real estate and lit, but they’re a notch below the firms I just mentioned. There’s also something to be said about cashing in at Weil, Boies, or other NY-market-paying satellites and lateralling to an HK or wherever down the road.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:10 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

Can’t speak to NY vs Miami; that depends on what your preferences are. But if you want Miami, a lot will depend on what you want to do.

I don’t recommend Akerman or Bilzin for corporate, but they, along with GT, should be at the top of your list if you’re interested in real estate or land use. And to be honest, Fl firms don’t really do real corporate work, so id aim for JD, W&C, or MWE which get a sizable amount of work from other offices. As for lit, W&C has a good group down here, but GT, HK, Bilzin and Akerman are probably better options if you want to be here long term as they have good lit groups and are heavily involved locally. Which is important.

Stearns should be in the running too, at least for real estate and lit, but they’re a notch below the firms I just mentioned. There’s also something to be said about cashing in at Weil, Boies, or other NY-market-paying satellites and lateralling to an HK or wherever down the road.
Why don’t you recommend Akerman or Bilzin for corporate (substantive or cultural)?

You recommend going to a firm that gets corporate work from other offices over a GT or HK?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:24 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Why don’t you recommend Akerman or Bilzin for corporate (substantive or cultural)?

You recommend going to a firm that gets corporate work from other offices over a GT or HK?
I disagree with that poster:

Chambers says HK, GT, Akerman for corporate

https://www.chambersandpartners.com/123 ... torial/5/1

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jun 13, 2018 11:08 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

GT FTL and GT Mia 100% do NYC style and level corporate work, anyone who says otherwise is not familiar with the firm.

sflyr2016

Bronze

Post by sflyr2016 » Wed Jun 13, 2018 11:52 pm

Lol. Ignore ^ this poster. Don’t get it twisted: GT is a good option in Miami but a second-rate firm anywhere else. They do have a better corp. group than other Miami-based firms, tho, so if that’s what you want to do, I would keep them on your list. I just wouldn’t kid yourself about it being Kirkland. It isn’t. That’s obvious.

As for Akerman’s and Bilzin’s corporate groups, they’re fine. Florida simply doesn’t have that much corporate activity and so the law firms here don’t get a ton of that work. They do, however, get big real estate deals, so if I were interested in transactional work I’d lean toward that instead.

In full disclosure, I practice litigation. But two of my first cousins and many of my friends do transactional work down here. And at the firms we’re discussing. And I’ll be honest, they flatly joke about how unsophisticated the work is down here. Especially the ones who worked in NY before. It’s. Not. Close. So if you want real deal work, go to a bigger market.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jun 14, 2018 12:01 am

sflyr2016 wrote:Lol. Ignore ^ this poster. Don’t get it twisted: GT is a good option in Miami but a second-rate firm anywhere else. They do have a better corp. group than other Miami-based firms, tho, so if that’s what you want to do, I would keep them on your list. I just wouldn’t kid yourself about it being Kirkland. It isn’t. That’s obvious.

As for Akerman’s and Bilzin’s corporate groups, they’re fine. Florida simply doesn’t have that much corporate activity and so the law firms here don’t get a ton of that work. They do, however, get big real estate deals, so if I were interested in transactional work I’d lean toward that instead.

In full disclose, I practice litigation. But two of my first cousins and many of my friends do transactional work down here. And at the firms we’re discussing. And I’ll be honest, they flatly joke about how unsophisticated the work is down here. Especially the ones who worked in NY before. It’s. Not. Close. So if you want real deal work, go to a bigger market.
lol ignore this ^ guy, im posting anonymous because i work at GT, and have several years of experience at V20 NYC. While GT isnt on levels of S&C or Cravath obviously, n terms of corporate, GT in south Florida has just as much deal size and flow as most of the non V10 NYC corporate groups.

sflyr2016

Bronze

Post by sflyr2016 » Thu Jun 14, 2018 12:19 am

GT folk are so insecure. Like i said, GT is a great firm in Miami. But it’s second rate anywhere else. And the deals it works on aren’t that sophisticated, mainly because its clients aren’t that sophisticated. They have a stronger real estate and lit group tho. If you there, focus on that.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jun 14, 2018 12:38 pm

sflyr2016 wrote:GT folk are so insecure. Like i said, GT is a great firm in Miami. But it’s second rate anywhere else. And the deals it works on aren’t that sophisticated, mainly because its clients aren’t that sophisticated. They have a stronger real estate and lit group tho. If you there, focus on that.
Either I'm insecure, OR I know for a fact that you are wrong and spreading misinformation. Hell, maybe I am in fact insecure, either way, pretending GT in Florida doesn't do legit corporate work is disingenuous and incorrect. Though, we are both on the same page that no one is pretending GT is a Kirkland. I would say GT's FTL practice is stronger or equal to GTs NYC practice (though with less corporate lawyers), for whatever that is worth. I've worked in NY, I work at GT, I'm not trying to boost my own ego or anything, just trying to prevent fake news on here.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jun 14, 2018 3:19 pm

The above convo is kind of irrelevant for a junior corporate associate. It doesn’t matter how “interesting” a deal is if you’re only going to be doing basic due diligence and sig pages.

I agree, though, at the more senior levels, GT has great work in Miami. However, the Miami corporate world is essentially sub-500M deals mostly, so the work is usually less complex.

Not a knock on GT.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jun 14, 2018 3:58 pm

Anonymous User wrote:The above convo is kind of irrelevant for a junior corporate associate. It doesn’t matter how “interesting” a deal is if you’re only going to be doing basic due diligence and sig pages.

I agree, though, at the more senior levels, GT has great work in Miami. However, the Miami corporate world is essentially sub-500M deals mostly, so the work is usually less complex.

Not a knock on GT.
I'm the person from GT who posted above and I agree with your comments.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jun 14, 2018 5:52 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
sflyr2016 wrote:GT folk are so insecure. Like i said, GT is a great firm in Miami. But it’s second rate anywhere else. And the deals it works on aren’t that sophisticated, mainly because its clients aren’t that sophisticated. They have a stronger real estate and lit group tho. If you there, focus on that.
Either I'm insecure, OR I know for a fact that you are wrong and spreading misinformation. Hell, maybe I am in fact insecure, either way, pretending GT in Florida doesn't do legit corporate work is disingenuous and incorrect. Though, we are both on the same page that no one is pretending GT is a Kirkland. I would say GT's FTL practice is stronger or equal to GTs NYC practice (though with less corporate lawyers), for whatever that is worth. I've worked in NY, I work at GT, I'm not trying to boost my own ego or anything, just trying to prevent fake news on here.
Looking back, are you glad you decided NY over Miami after law school or would you recommend for people to just start in Miami?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jun 14, 2018 7:21 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Looking back, are you glad you decided NY over Miami after law school or would you recommend for people to just start in Miami?
its very hard to start in miami and not that difficult to lateral to miami after top law school + v100 NYC firm. Thought i didnt want to live in miami when i graduated for personal reasons and now am tired of nyc and happy here, so wouldnt do anything different. By all means if you know you want to live somewhere and can get a good job go there right away. Though top law school + NYC biglaw experience opens up doors in a lot of markets if you have some plausible ties there.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jun 14, 2018 10:23 pm

Are lateral / exit prospects for corporate in Miami no better than litigation since there is little corporate in Miami?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jun 14, 2018 10:41 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Are lateral / exit prospects for corporate in Miami no better than litigation since there is little corporate in Miami?
People need to stop spreading the misinformation that corporate is dead/nonexistent in Miami. There are few mega deals but there is a constant stream of mid-market deals (in the low to mid 100ms).

And there are plenty of F500 companies in South Florida that are hiring.

sflyr2016

Bronze

Post by sflyr2016 » Thu Jun 14, 2018 10:55 pm

Yeah. That was never the point. All I meant to say was Miami firms aren’t known for their corp work. That said, I know of many corp associates who’ve bounced from firm to firm and gone in house at F500 companies down here. In fact, my buddy just accepted an insane in house offer just a few weeks back (not at GT but at a similar firm doing corp), and he’s pretty junior. Market here is small enough where opportunities open up for people if they’re good; big-fish-small-pond sort of thing.

If i were gunning for corporate work, I’d get training at a Ny firm or one of the Miami satellites being fed work from there and then lateral to a Florida-based firm later where you’ll actually stick out. At that point, you’ll probably have better partnership and in-house odds, but only if you’re any good.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jun 14, 2018 11:31 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Are lateral / exit prospects for corporate in Miami no better than litigation since there is little corporate in Miami?
People need to stop spreading the misinformation that corporate is dead/nonexistent in Miami. There are few mega deals but there is a constant stream of mid-market deals (in the low to mid 100ms).

And there are plenty of F500 companies in South Florida that are hiring.
Does it matter whether you’re in a firm that does more M&A or capital markets / project finance?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jun 15, 2018 7:00 am

Can anyone tell me about the litigation reputation/compensation of the following firms in Miami? TIA

Stearns Weaver
Carlton Fields (think they are 145k, but could be wrong)
McDermott (NALP has them 180k, but might be limited to their Chicago/NYC offices)
Berger Singerman
Foley & Lardner
Fox Rothchild
Baker Mckenzie
Ver Ploeg Lumpkin
Rivero Mestre

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”