V15 Partner/OCI Interviewer Answering Questions... Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
itbdvorm

Gold

V15 Partner/OCI Interviewer Answering Questions...

Post by itbdvorm » Thu Aug 18, 2011 1:20 pm

Deal just died, so in here answering some questions. Nothing too personal, don't want to out myself. Very experienced recruiter, senior corporate associate. And...go.

edit - fixed the title :)
Last edited by itbdvorm on Wed Dec 02, 2015 5:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.

dakure

Bronze

Re: V15 OCI Interviewer Answering Questions...

Post by dakure » Thu Aug 18, 2011 1:25 pm

If you are interviewing a very young student without a lot of work experience, what do they have to do, besides have good grades, to separate them from their peers?

Veyron

Gold

Post by Veyron » Thu Aug 18, 2011 1:25 pm

itbdvorm wrote:Deal just died, so in here answering some questions. Nothing too personal, don't want to out myself. Very experienced recruiter, senior corporate associate. And...go.
Grades, how important?

itbdvorm

Gold

Post by itbdvorm » Thu Aug 18, 2011 1:28 pm

dakure wrote:If you are interviewing a very young student without a lot of work experience, what do they have to do, besides have good grades, to separate them from their peers?
Assuming "very young" means straight through, awards / honors in undergrad and/or interesting summer positions certainly helps. Grades are obviously a major factor, as is personality / fit

thescienceguy

New

Post by thescienceguy » Thu Aug 18, 2011 1:29 pm

itbdvorm wrote:Deal just died, so in here answering some questions. Nothing too personal, don't want to out myself. Very experienced recruiter, senior corporate associate. And...go.
What do you look for in candidates during callbacks? Is it more personality fit at that point as opposed to grades/ resume/ ability?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

TaipeiMort

Silver

Post by TaipeiMort » Thu Aug 18, 2011 1:29 pm

1) Can you come across as too forceful or overbearing in an interview by trying to sell your strengths hard.

2) If the interviewer seems like they want to just shoot the breeze, is it better to tone it down or keep selling your strengths?

itbdvorm

Gold

Post by itbdvorm » Thu Aug 18, 2011 1:30 pm

Veyron wrote:
Grades, how important?
Very and not very simultaneously. We do have minimum grade cuts at every school we visit (and they vary school by school). If you're above the line you've got a shot and then fit takes over. Amazing grades can overcome mediocre fit, and amazing fit can overcome mediocre grades (at or just below the line), but awful grades or fit and you're dead in the water.

dakure

Bronze

Post by dakure » Thu Aug 18, 2011 1:31 pm

Thanks!

Do you guys ask questions like "what is your biggest weakness?" and if so, what are the best responses to those questions?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 18, 2011 1:31 pm

How do you view students who are a bit nervous early on in the interview? Sometimes it takes me a few minutes to hit my stride, and I end up doing well, but all I can focus on afterwards is that I was probably visibly a bit nervous to the interviewer(s). Is this an auto-ding?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

itbdvorm

Gold

Post by itbdvorm » Thu Aug 18, 2011 1:31 pm

thescienceguy wrote:
What do you look for in candidates during callbacks? Is it more personality fit at that point as opposed to grades/ resume/ ability?
Moreso, yes, though those still do come into play. We'll take into account the "whole package" at the offer stage.

starchinkilt

Bronze

Post by starchinkilt » Thu Aug 18, 2011 1:32 pm

How do you view transfers?

itbdvorm

Gold

Post by itbdvorm » Thu Aug 18, 2011 1:33 pm

TaipeiMort wrote:1) Can you come across as too forceful or overbearing in an interview by trying to sell your strengths hard.

2) If the interviewer seems like they want to just shoot the breeze, is it better to tone it down or keep selling your strengths?
Yes and tone down. Show, don't tell. If you're smart, or charming, or witty, or clever, etc., demonstrate it by your discussion rather than telling them that you are. Tell a story that demonstrates it, ask an insightful question about the interviewer, make a clever joke (but don't work blue)

itbdvorm

Gold

Post by itbdvorm » Thu Aug 18, 2011 1:34 pm

dakure wrote:Thanks!

Do you guys ask questions like "what is your biggest weakness?" and if so, what are the best responses to those questions?
No I don't (I hate that question). Frankly that can usually be figured out by talking to the person and paying attention to them and/or looking at their resume/grades.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

itbdvorm

Gold

Post by itbdvorm » Thu Aug 18, 2011 1:36 pm

Anonymous User wrote:How do you view students who are a bit nervous early on in the interview? Sometimes it takes me a few minutes to hit my stride, and I end up doing well, but all I can focus on afterwards is that I was probably visibly a bit nervous to the interviewer(s). Is this an auto-ding?
No, not an auto-ding, but it probably does hurt a little bit. I try to focus on the whole package so you've got another 15 min to charm me if you start poorly

dakure

Bronze

Post by dakure » Thu Aug 18, 2011 1:36 pm

What is the average age of your first year associate class?

itbdvorm

Gold

Post by itbdvorm » Thu Aug 18, 2011 1:37 pm

starchinkilt wrote:How do you view transfers?
On a case by case basis. They need to meet the grade cut at their prior school to have a baseline chance.

itbdvorm

Gold

Post by itbdvorm » Thu Aug 18, 2011 1:38 pm

dakure wrote:What is the average age of your first year associate class?
No idea. I'd guess an average of 2-3 years out of college work experience, with a lot of straight through, a few 2-4 years off and a very few 5+ years out

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Kabuo

Silver

Post by Kabuo » Thu Aug 18, 2011 1:39 pm

itbdvorm wrote:
On a case by case basis. They need to meet the grade cut at their prior school to have a baseline chance.
What if the prior school is one you don't typically recruit from/have an established cutoff for?

dakure

Bronze

Post by dakure » Thu Aug 18, 2011 1:40 pm

itbdvorm wrote:
No idea. I'd guess an average of 2-3 years out of college work experience, with a lot of straight through, a few 2-4 years off and a very few 5+ years out
Thank you so much for this btw.

Also, what schools do you primarily hire from? What grades does someone need from HYS, CCN, MVPB, the lower t14, and then 15-20 to have a shot?

itbdvorm

Gold

Post by itbdvorm » Thu Aug 18, 2011 1:42 pm

Kabuo wrote:
itbdvorm wrote:
What if the prior school is one you don't typically recruit from/have an established cutoff for?
Then they're probably in trouble. We have cutoffs for just about every school I can think of. If it's not one of them you better be top 1-5 in your class and/or something really special.

itbdvorm

Gold

Post by itbdvorm » Thu Aug 18, 2011 1:46 pm

dakure wrote:
itbdvorm wrote:
Thank you so much for this btw.

Also, what schools do you primarily hire from? What grades does someone need from HYS, CCN, MVPB, the lower t14, and then 15-20 to have a shot?
don't know all off the top of my head but unsurprisingly it gets tougher as you go lower down the list. law review-level's not a necessity to my knowledge (maybe lower-14 and beyond it is) but certainly even at the top ranges you should be above median

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 18, 2011 1:56 pm

I am well within top 10% with LR from a strong regional school in the T40.
However, I took summer classes and had my GPA drop (my estimate is around top 15%). The class approximations are set for pre-summer class grades, so technically I am still top 10% and I should retain it on the resume (so says CSO). However, my transcript will reflect the change.
How would you view a student in this situation? particularly during the CB.

Thanks!

itbdvorm

Gold

Post by itbdvorm » Thu Aug 18, 2011 2:05 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I am well within top 10% with LR from a strong regional school in the T40.
However, I took summer classes and had my GPA drop (my estimate is around top 15%). The class approximations are set for pre-summer class grades, so technically I am still top 10% and I should retain it on the resume (so says CSO). However, my transcript will reflect the change.
How would you view a student in this situation? particularly during the CB.

Thanks!
During the CB, I'd guess effectively ignored. Beforehand it could be a factor but probably not then either.

dakure

Bronze

Post by dakure » Thu Aug 18, 2011 2:07 pm

How many hours do you expect first year associates to bill annually? How does that change if they are lookign to get onto the partner track? Also, whats the process like for people who, after four years, lateral out? Do most of them end up working for other firms or do a lot of them work inhouse?

itbdvorm

Gold

Post by itbdvorm » Thu Aug 18, 2011 2:12 pm

dakure wrote:How many hours do you expect first year associates to bill annually? How does that change if they are lookign to get onto the partner track? Also, whats the process like for people who, after four years, lateral out? Do most of them end up working for other firms or do a lot of them work inhouse?
A bit of a range for first year associates. The ones who are serious about getting better/learning/advancing, etc., probably bill in the 2100-2500 range. Not necessarily a huge change for those looking to make partner as talent and aptitude is more of a determinative factor than effort

Most corporate laterals seem to go in-house. Some go to smaller firms. Replace in-house with government/not-for-profit and probably true for litigation as well.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”