V15 Partner/OCI Interviewer Answering Questions... Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: V15 Partner/OCI Interviewer Answering Questions...

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Apr 07, 2017 5:29 pm

How do firms determine which summer associates get overseas rotations? I assume the decision is qualitative in nature. If I applied for an overseas rotation at a firm where a significant number of summers rotate, and I didn't get one, is this a sign that the firm doesn't view me as a top tier recruit? Or am I reading too much into this

shao

New

Post by shao » Fri Apr 07, 2017 8:33 pm

Thanks for answering the questions!

How much weight are pre-law jobs? Are KJDs at a disadvantage with no real work experience? Do internships matter? What do you suggest KJDs do to make up for it?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Apr 10, 2017 2:57 pm

Would you happen to know how firms view "working remotely" as a summer associate?

My best friend is getting married memorial day weekend and I would like to use the Friday before Memorial Day to travel. As someone who has worked at a law firm before, I know most law firms in NYC are usually ghost-towns by noon the Friday before Memorial Day.

Is it appropriate for me to ask if I can work remotely on that Friday? If so, should I provide a better reason than my best friend's wedding?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Apr 13, 2017 1:24 am

Out of the top 17 schools, what is your/your firm's perception of the hierarchy between them? Is it just by USNWR ranking or does your firm see the schools differently?

(For your convenience, Yale/Stanford/Harvard/Chicago/Columbia/NYU/Penn/UVA/Michigan/Northwestern/Duke/Berkeley/Cornell/UT/Georgetown/UCLA/Vandy)

Along those lines, is there any comparative edge between Chicago v. Columbia or Michigan v. UVA v. Berkeley or UT v. Georgetown v. UCLA v. Vandy?

itbdvorm

Gold

Post by itbdvorm » Thu Apr 13, 2017 3:18 pm

Anonymous User wrote:How do firms determine which summer associates get overseas rotations? I assume the decision is qualitative in nature. If I applied for an overseas rotation at a firm where a significant number of summers rotate, and I didn't get one, is this a sign that the firm doesn't view me as a top tier recruit? Or am I reading too much into this
Probably reading too much into this. Could be something as simple as a lack of fit between your expressed practice areas and those offices

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

itbdvorm

Gold

Post by itbdvorm » Thu Apr 13, 2017 3:19 pm

shao wrote:Thanks for answering the questions!

How much weight are pre-law jobs? Are KJDs at a disadvantage with no real work experience? Do internships matter? What do you suggest KJDs do to make up for it?
Depends on the job. The presence of a great pre-law job will help more than the absence will hurt. Same with summer positions / internships / etc.

I suggest K-JDs get good grades

itbdvorm

Gold

Post by itbdvorm » Thu Apr 13, 2017 3:20 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Would you happen to know how firms view "working remotely" as a summer associate?

My best friend is getting married memorial day weekend and I would like to use the Friday before Memorial Day to travel. As someone who has worked at a law firm before, I know most law firms in NYC are usually ghost-towns by noon the Friday before Memorial Day.

Is it appropriate for me to ask if I can work remotely on that Friday? If so, should I provide a better reason than my best friend's wedding?
Best friend's wedding is a good reason, but otherwise "working remotely" is a terrible idea.

I think OK - reach out to recruiting, but I would say something to the effect of "travel in the afternoon". Then, assuming they say OK, you can make a game-time decision about coming in at all vs. leaving early.

itbdvorm

Gold

Post by itbdvorm » Thu Apr 13, 2017 3:22 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Out of the top 17 schools, what is your/your firm's perception of the hierarchy between them? Is it just by USNWR ranking or does your firm see the schools differently?

(For your convenience, Yale/Stanford/Harvard/Chicago/Columbia/NYU/Penn/UVA/Michigan/Northwestern/Duke/Berkeley/Cornell/UT/Georgetown/UCLA/Vandy)

Along those lines, is there any comparative edge between Chicago v. Columbia or Michigan v. UVA v. Berkeley or UT v. Georgetown v. UCLA v. Vandy?
My guess is there's a vague linear hierarchy, but zero chance anyone would ever say "no, take this kid, he went to Chicago and she went to Columbia so Chicago is better"

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Apr 13, 2017 3:29 pm

How would you recommend someone that has been no-offered after their 2L SA approach an interview question about not returning to the firm? For reference, I was no-offered from a V100 firm but have subsequently begun a District Court clerkship. In general the firm has a pretty low offer rate (~75% firm wide and ~50% in the office I was in) but I was told that it came down to a singular assignment. However, the classes before me and after me have faced the same issue so I feel it's more likely the firm's process than a single assignment.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

stannis

Silver

Post by stannis » Fri Apr 14, 2017 12:56 am

How early can a junior associate take 1-2 days off for a small vacation around a long weekend? Is thanksgiving too early?

Assume +-50 lawyers, biglaw hours, associates "belong" to specific partners, litigation (not insurance defense).

itbdvorm

Gold

Post by itbdvorm » Fri Apr 14, 2017 11:01 am

Anonymous User wrote:How would you recommend someone that has been no-offered after their 2L SA approach an interview question about not returning to the firm? For reference, I was no-offered from a V100 firm but have subsequently begun a District Court clerkship. In general the firm has a pretty low offer rate (~75% firm wide and ~50% in the office I was in) but I was told that it came down to a singular assignment. However, the classes before me and after me have faced the same issue so I feel it's more likely the firm's process than a single assignment.
Unlikely you'll get many questions about this post-clerkship

itbdvorm

Gold

Post by itbdvorm » Fri Apr 14, 2017 11:02 am

stannis wrote:How early can a junior associate take 1-2 days off for a small vacation around a long weekend? Is thanksgiving too early?

Assume +-50 lawyers, biglaw hours, associates "belong" to specific partners, litigation (not insurance defense).
I would usually say no extra days off (maybe the Wed before Thanksgiving) until your stub year is over

rpupkin

Platinum

Post by rpupkin » Fri Apr 14, 2017 1:47 pm

itbdvorm wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:How would you recommend someone that has been no-offered after their 2L SA approach an interview question about not returning to the firm? For reference, I was no-offered from a V100 firm but have subsequently begun a District Court clerkship. In general the firm has a pretty low offer rate (~75% firm wide and ~50% in the office I was in) but I was told that it came down to a singular assignment. However, the classes before me and after me have faced the same issue so I feel it's more likely the firm's process than a single assignment.
Well, you're unlikely to get directly asked "did you get an offer after your summer?," but you will often get asked if you're considering returning to your SA firm. You should have an answer ready for that question—something more than just a "no."

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Apr 14, 2017 2:05 pm

rpupkin wrote:
itbdvorm wrote:
Well, you're unlikely to get directly asked "did you get an offer after your summer?," but you will often get asked if you're considering returning to your SA firm. You should have an answer ready for that question—something more than just a "no."
I have a pretty solid answer to that. I just wasn't certain if I would have to reveal I was no-offered.

rpupkin

Platinum

Post by rpupkin » Fri Apr 14, 2017 2:08 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I have a pretty solid answer to that. I just wasn't certain if I would have to reveal I was no-offered.
Good. Yeah, you likely won't have to reveal that you didn't get an offer.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Apr 14, 2017 2:59 pm

rpupkin wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I have a pretty solid answer to that. I just wasn't certain if I would have to reveal I was no-offered.
Good. Yeah, you likely won't have to reveal that you didn't get an offer.
Anon, I was in a position similar to yours.

I learned that some clerks include a notation on their resume along the lines of "associate offer extended." I learned that the hard way when an interviewer asked directly if I'd received an offer and, if so, why I hadn't indicated as much. I had to admit that I didn't get an offer, and that sucked. No offer from that firm, obviously.

But none of my other 30+ interviewers asked the same question, and everything worked out.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Apr 14, 2017 3:02 pm

Does your firm offer part-time work to 3Ls who are in the area? If I'm summering at a firm that offers part-time opportunities to some, but not all 3Ls, how should I go about making sure I'm one of the lucky ones?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

stannis

Silver

Post by stannis » Fri Apr 14, 2017 3:52 pm

itbdvorm wrote:
stannis wrote:How early can a junior associate take 1-2 days off for a small vacation around a long weekend? Is thanksgiving too early?

I would usually say no extra days off (maybe the Wed before Thanksgiving) until your stub year is over
I'm glad I asked. That sounds reasonable though.

Tiny Rick!

Bronze

Post by Tiny Rick! » Fri Apr 14, 2017 3:57 pm

stannis wrote:
itbdvorm wrote:

I'm glad I asked. That sounds reasonable though.
Ask around at your firm. I didn't take any time off, but still went home and was just available to work remotely.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Apr 15, 2017 5:43 pm

If an interviewee had to take a year off from school after 1L because of a psychiatric condition but eventually improved, how would you view that? Is there anyway that that particular gap year can be mitigated in an interview?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Apr 18, 2017 8:13 pm

How does/would your firm evaluate a lateral application from a junior associate candidate with a nonstandard post-law school experience, e.g. someone who went to work for a startup rather than a firm/clerkship/gov position? I'm assuming the biggest concerns would be about sticking (does this person actually want biglaw/will they stick around long-term/why didn't they take a firm job) and about the quality/transferability/usefulness of the experience -- are there other really big ones, iyo? And what would you want to hear to overcome those questions?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

itbdvorm

Gold

Post by itbdvorm » Fri Apr 21, 2017 6:52 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Does your firm offer part-time work to 3Ls who are in the area? If I'm summering at a firm that offers part-time opportunities to some, but not all 3Ls, how should I go about making sure I'm one of the lucky ones?
I know we have previously but don't think we currently do - could be wrong. I think I've mentioned previously some tips about how to be a good summer, but I'll reiterate a few anyway:

-pay attention when you go to meetings. take notes, be eager, re-read them later, ask follow-up questions. people want you to be trying, or at least seem like you're trying. not a "you get an A for effort", but seem like that's what you're trying to do (and be smart enough that you can back it up)
-don't be that guy
-turn in work on time. better yet, early. but either way, proofread the hell out of it first (and maybe have a summer you trust spot-check things for you and do the same for him/her). substantive analysis being incorrect because you don't quite get the issue is much less of a killer than sloppiness at this stage.
-show up at 9. don't leave before 6. do this every day for the first two weeks. then adjust if need be, but don't be egregious. you're being paid a ridiculous amount of money to do a very easy job. don't act entitled. act like you're grateful. BE grateful.
-demonstrate, consistently, that you have the temperament, demeanor, skillset and desire to be a long-term colleague of everyone you meet, whether the senior-most partner or the lowliest mailroom clerk.

itbdvorm

Gold

Post by itbdvorm » Fri Apr 21, 2017 6:57 pm

Anonymous User wrote:If an interviewee had to take a year off from school after 1L because of a psychiatric condition but eventually improved, how would you view that? Is there anyway that that particular gap year can be mitigated in an interview?
A little tough, but probably doable. I guess the issue is when you open up that can of worms people are going to wonder what happened and how confident they can be that it wouldn't return. This job triggers stress, and I would encourage you to consider triggers - obviously I am not a medical professional but would hate to put someone in a horrible position.

itbdvorm

Gold

Post by itbdvorm » Fri Apr 21, 2017 6:59 pm

Anonymous User wrote:How does/would your firm evaluate a lateral application from a junior associate candidate with a nonstandard post-law school experience, e.g. someone who went to work for a startup rather than a firm/clerkship/gov position? I'm assuming the biggest concerns would be about sticking (does this person actually want biglaw/will they stick around long-term/why didn't they take a firm job) and about the quality/transferability/usefulness of the experience -- are there other really big ones, iyo? And what would you want to hear to overcome those questions?
I guess it would be what are you trying to transition into and why? What were you doing before? Someone going law school -> startup -> venture work is a much easier discussion than law school -> startup -> FINRA analysis

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Apr 21, 2017 6:59 pm

Does 1L summer experiences matter much at all during OCIs?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”