NBLSA Job Fairs Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: NBLSA Job Fairs

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Sep 12, 2011 5:31 am

Cadwalader. It was a joke really. They probably already know who their calling back based off of grades anyway. Barely any partners at these things. Usually just young associates probably practicing for future oci or something. The preselect to callback ratio is abysmal at these fairs. Nothing close to real OCI.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Sep 12, 2011 8:48 am

These fairs in general as PR/Show/Jokes in, however In my experience most of the interviewers were partners, perhaps its telling though if they send associates.

At the BLSAWR Fair, I had a great interview with the Managing partner of a firm, and another interview with an new associate for whom English was a second language.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Sep 12, 2011 1:46 pm

out of consideration to the candidates that fly all over the country to attend these fairs, i think they should a) only interview people they TRULY would hire and b) be realistic in time frame/chances of being hired. I think firms should say we typically have X spots and historically Y% of those are diverse candidates that we recruit from these fairs or oci.

Another thing that candidates can ask is how many in the past have been hired from these fairs. If they don't know, or don't want to share, the number is probably very low.

For students thinking about going to these fairs next year, I would suggest only attending if it is close. Do NOT cancel other plans/interviews to attend the fair, and do NOT spend a lot of money on traveling to get there. I would say callback ratio for this fair is in the 10-15% range and offers made would be even less than that.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Sep 12, 2011 2:22 pm

Definitely agree. There are obviously people at T10 schools with great grades that are gonna get offers but for the most part, these BLSA fairs are useless. They are just selecting people for the sake of selecting people and in the process wasting everyone's time.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Sep 12, 2011 3:25 pm

I had a great outcome out of the BLSA fair, even got an offer from it. I would add that they are not helpful for the majority of students that attend. If anything though I still recommend going because it gives students a chance to interview with more people at a particular firm when combined with OCI. For example, while everyone else at my school interviewed with one person from Firm X, I had two screener interviews and met with three people at the same firm. I'm almost positive that's why I was able to get a callback. When I spoke to the recruiter at the firm, she said I had an edge over everyone else who interviewed from my school because I interviewed with more attorneys. So If students used these career fairs to supplement OCI, then I think they have the potential to be very helpful.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Sep 19, 2011 7:01 pm

anyone hear anything back from Kelley Drye?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jul 25, 2012 9:35 am

The preselcts for this year's fair are up.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jul 25, 2012 10:34 am

Which fair?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jul 29, 2013 6:07 am

Anyone get any preselects for NEBLSA job fair this year?

I think preselects are due Tuesday...if so, this is pretty disheartening.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jul 29, 2013 11:54 am

here's a thread running for this year. Not much action but there's action nonetheless.

http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 3&t=213314
Anonymous User wrote:Anyone get any preselects for NEBLSA job fair this year?

I think preselects are due Tuesday...if so, this is pretty disheartening.

thatgirlthere

New

Post by thatgirlthere » Wed Jul 31, 2013 1:38 pm

Received a few preselects... I'm not sure how this works, but there was the ability today to sign up for interviews with employers who I didn't bid on, or who still said "pending." I signed up just in case, but is this a mistake?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jul 31, 2013 3:17 pm

99% sure it is. We're technically still in the pre-select phase. Allowing anybody to sign up negates the purpose of pre-selection.

Imagine someone who actually got pre-selected (or being next in line bc of the alternate spot) being SOL because non-selects took their spot before the deadline.

This is a mess.
thatgirlthere wrote:Received a few preselects... I'm not sure how this works, but there was the ability today to sign up for interviews with employers who I didn't bid on, or who still said "pending." I signed up just in case, but is this a mistake?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jul 31, 2013 8:29 pm

Did anyone suddenly lose some or all of their pre-selects today?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jul 31, 2013 8:41 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Did anyone suddenly lose some or all of their pre-selects today?
I lost all of mine except one for some reason. Hopefully its just a re-set of the system due to inadvertently allowing non-preselected students to sign up for interviews.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jul 31, 2013 8:52 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Did anyone suddenly lose some or all of their pre-selects today?
I lost all of mine except one for some reason. Hopefully its just a re-set of the system due to inadvertently allowing non-preselected students to sign up for interviews.
Is there a way to contact NBLSA because I'm worried.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jul 31, 2013 9:18 pm

Received this email earlier:

Dear Students:

There was a glitch in the interview scheduling which allowed students who were not preselected to select an interview. This glitch has been corrected.

If you are a student who signed up to interview with an employer with whom you were not preselected, your interview is no longer scheduled.

If you are a student who was preselected, but did not see any available times for you to select an interview, please log back in to simplicity to see all current available times.

Thank you.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jul 31, 2013 9:22 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Received this email earlier:

Dear Students:

There was a glitch in the interview scheduling which allowed students who were not preselected to select an interview. This glitch has been corrected.

If you are a student who signed up to interview with an employer with whom you were not preselected, your interview is no longer scheduled.

If you are a student who was preselected, but did not see any available times for you to select an interview, please log back in to simplicity to see all current available times.

Thank you.
I got that as well. But I had 6 pre-selects before the glitch and now I have 1. The remaining 5 say "not invited" now.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jul 31, 2013 9:24 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Received this email earlier:

Dear Students:

Thank you.
I got that as well. But I had 6 pre-selects before the glitch and now I have 1. The remaining 5 say "not invited" now.
neblsa.jobfair@nblsa.org

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jul 31, 2013 9:25 pm

Last edited by Anonymous User on Wed Jul 31, 2013 9:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jul 31, 2013 9:29 pm

Quick email to that address above fixed the problem.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jul 31, 2013 9:41 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Quick email to that address above fixed the problem.

When did you send the email and how long did it take to get your pre-selects back?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jul 31, 2013 10:28 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Quick email to that address above fixed the problem.

When did you send the email and how long did it take to get your pre-selects back?
Sent the email after receiving the email above and logging in to notice the problem.

Fixed this evening sometime.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 28, 2015 10:35 am

I'm going to resurrect this. Anyone doing it this year?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 28, 2015 11:02 am

Yup, doing the RMBLSA one, or at least planning on doing it.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jul 29, 2015 9:12 am

Just received an email re: neblsa pre-selects. I'm assuming if you got some you got the email.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”