Let's talk about Atlanta! Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: Let's talk about Atlanta!

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jul 13, 2011 12:19 pm

Do you think the local all stars from Emory/UGA/GSU/etc have a leg up on "outsiders?" ATL is pretty provincial from what I understand...
It depends... (haha). Emory & UGA probably get first spots. Outside, the firms you're talking about love the Top 14 (like everyone else), though it seems like especially UVA. Only a sprinkling of the other T14s, though my guess is that's as much because of region bias by the *students* as much as the firms... If you are T14, from the south, and show a commitment to being in ATL (you'll need to spin your true feelings, it sounds like!), then all these firms would love to have you. Vandy & UNC seem to place really well too (Managing Partner of Kilpatrick who was/is the hiring partner is a UNC grad). A guy who went to Tulane and worked in biglaw here told me that it probably placed in ATL only as well as Georgia State did—and at the time there was probably a 30+ differential in ranking.
I'm wondering if going into a corporate practice in ATL is a good idea, when everyone always talks about the "best" corporate work being in NYC.
No clue as compared to NYC. I'm from GA and never had any intention of working outside ATL. That said, we have our share of Fortune 500 companies and plenty of corp lawyers around here. I don't even know what "best" corporate work means. What is the "best" litigation work, for that matter? That all depends on what you're looking for. In the good ole days of the mid-2000s, there was plenty of corp work to go round. Now it's tighter and fewer slots, but the majority are still employed.
Do you think splitting your 2L summer there is a wise idea? The offer rates in ATL are lower than places like NYC where an offer is almost automatic.
I don't remember feeling like the offer rates were "low," even if they were not as close to 100% like they may be in NYC. I think the % may just be lower because if you have a class of 15 (instead of 80), and you don't offer 1-2 of those, it looks like a big chunk. The anecdotes I've heard in the last 3-4 years made it sound like any no-offer was because: (1) the person "acted like s/he didn't want the job," (2) legit screw up, or (3) economy bombed after summers already brought on. Last year, most all the firms had 100% offer rates.
That said, it does seem like splitting isn't as popular or common as it used to be. My friends that graduated in mid-2000s all split. Now, few do. Or if they do, it's 1 biglaw, 1 small law. Even at the firm I summered at, they said they "didn't allow splits" but they probably would if I'd pressed, though the recruiter was frank and said the "closer" the other firm is to us, the less likely they'd be okay with it. People I knew that "split" didn't really "split," because they did a "whole" summer of 8 weeks at the big firm and then did a "whole" 4-5 weeks at a small firm, sometimes in a different city/state. The big firms all insist on doing first half with them, and you can't do 2 first halves... Smaller class sizes in general (fewer needs for them => meaning fewer offers for you, probably) I think are as much of the reason. But again, I don't know if anyone that "has" to cull 3-5 from a summer class, because they're starting out smaller (again, except for Alston—and it remains to be seen what their offer rate will be. Have all their summers from 2009 even started yet???).

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jul 13, 2011 4:16 pm

This may have already been addressed in-part by a post above, but how can I expect to fare in Atlanta as a median/slightly below median student at MVP (but not V) with family in Atlanta and having attended an undergrad that isn't in Georgia but right over the border (hint..). Targeting all of the usual suspects.

Thoughts? Much appreciated...

cholza00

New

Post by cholza00 » Wed Jul 13, 2011 4:39 pm

useful thread...tag

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jul 13, 2011 4:40 pm

Anonymous User wrote:MVP (but not V)
Huh? I don't know about all the other anons out there, but I didn't get the school you're alluding to... Sorry if I'm dense for not understanding. But I (same guy w/ the long response earlier) would generally say now is not the best time to be a "median/slightly below median" from pretty much any school, unless it's one that doesn't have grades. Top 14 and top half and you're competitive with top 25% at UGA or top 10-15% at GSU.

I am honestly not sure how much of the "local ties" thing people really care about. Again though, that was never something I paid attention to because that was an "easy" thing for me—I'm from here, went to school here (undergrad & law), wife grew up in the city, etc. But you better have the perfect answer when they ask because if you combine a wishy-washy (or even if they suspect you're wishy washy) commitment to ATL with that median or God forbid below, and you are back in the "maybe" pile like when applying to law schools...

With fewer positions than highly qualified candidates that want them, this is not the best place to be. That said, if you *do* really want Atlanta, there are a lot of medium and smaller firms beyond the "usual suspects" that hire people too. Good luck!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jul 13, 2011 4:44 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:MVP (but not V)
Huh? I don't know about all the other anons out there, but I didn't get the school you're alluding to... Sorry if I'm dense for not understanding. But I (same guy w/ the long response earlier) would generally say now is not the best time to be a "median/slightly below median" from pretty much any school, unless it's one that doesn't have grades. Top 14 and top half and you're competitive with top 25% at UGA or top 10-15% at GSU.

I am honestly not sure how much of the "local ties" thing people really care about. Again though, that was never something I paid attention to because that was an "easy" thing for me—I'm from here, went to school here (undergrad & law), wife grew up in the city, etc. But you better have the perfect answer when they ask because if you combine a wishy-washy (or even if they suspect you're wishy washy) commitment to ATL with that median or God forbid below, and you are back in the "maybe" pile like when applying to law schools...

With fewer positions than highly qualified candidates that want them, this is not the best place to be. That said, if you *do* really want Atlanta, there are a lot of medium and smaller firms beyond the "usual suspects" that hire people too. Good luck!
I'm the poster above and the school is Michigan- didn't want to give that up right away I guess, for the sake of anonymity (as in, the MVP tier but not Virginia). How much do you think the top 10 ranking will help?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Wed Jul 13, 2011 5:57 pm

Offer rates WERE low for class of 2010. Something like 42% offers at NLJ250 firms answer NALP.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jul 13, 2011 6:02 pm

rad law wrote:Offer rates WERE low for class of 2010. Something like 42% offers at NLJ250 firms answer NALP.
Any reason to think they will get better?

IrwinM.Fletcher

Silver

Post by IrwinM.Fletcher » Wed Jul 13, 2011 6:06 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
rad law wrote:Offer rates WERE low for class of 2010. Something like 42% offers at NLJ250 firms answer NALP.
C/O 2010 was pretty uniquely screwed when it comes to offer rates given that Lehman Brothers happened after OCI and before the summer program. No way the offer rates for c/o 2012 or 2013 are nearly that bad.

ETA: I did hear, however, that callback ratios were still obscenely terrible last year in Atlanta. Hoping this ameliorates.

ugawarrent

New

Post by ugawarrent » Wed Jul 13, 2011 6:15 pm

IrwinM.Fletcher wrote:No way the offer rates for c/o 2012 or 2013 are nearly that bad. ... ETA: I did hear, however, that callback ratios were still obscenely terrible last year in Atlanta. Hoping this ameliorates.
Class of 2011 offer rates were back up closer to normal -- at least the post-summer offer to join as associates. Though I'd second the "callback ratios" comment for the fall 2010 OCI—it was pretty dismal. But that goes with the poster above who said the classes were smaller. Probably not a whole lot more "offers" in raw numbers than for the c/o 2010, but the "rates" were higher b/c of the smaller starting summer classes.

And FWIW, I saw more people in the 2012 class getting callbacks and summer-offers than in (my) class of 2011. So hopefully all those folks will get full-time offers for post-grad. I'm curious when everyone (both c/o 2011 and 2012) will be starting though.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jul 13, 2011 6:16 pm

IrwinM.Fletcher wrote: ETA: I did hear, however, that callback ratios were still obscenely terrible last year in Atlanta. Hoping this ameliorates.
How bad?

Omerta

Bronze

Post by Omerta » Thu Jul 14, 2011 7:59 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Certainly seems so. First number is 2010 class size, second is 2011 expected size, third is number of offers made. These numbers paint a small, but significantly rosier pictures than what I thought because I only see one no offer.
Expected size (according to NALP)
A+B: 14 --> 28 (all)
King and Spalding: 5 --> 7 (all)
AGG: 3--> 7 (all)
Jones Day: 10 --> 12 (all)
H & W: 0 --> 0-1
PH: 5 --> 6 (all)
Kilpatrick: 10 --> 7 (9)
McKenna: 7 -->7 (all)
dla piper: 3 --> 3 (all)
Sutherland: 7 --> 9 (all)

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Aug 07, 2011 4:20 pm

reviving this thread because it's now relevant (at least to me)...

I got preselect screeners for OCI with some of the Atlanta firms: K&S, Kilpatrick, Jones Day

How deep in the class do they traditionally go at a T17? I don't go to Vandy, so data points are almost non-existent where I am

Roughly top 1/3 with substantial ties and relevant work experience here

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Sun Aug 07, 2011 4:34 pm

Anonymous User wrote:reviving this thread because it's now relevant (at least to me)...

I got preselect screeners for OCI with some of the Atlanta firms: K&S, Kilpatrick, Jones Day

How deep in the class do they traditionally go at a T17? I don't go to Vandy, so data points are almost non-existent where I am

Well they preselected you so they already want to talk to you.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

NoleinNY

Silver

Post by NoleinNY » Sun Aug 07, 2011 4:35 pm

On a human level, I met the SAs for the Kilpatrick class this past summer. Most of them were friendly and the partners seemed personable. I know this means little, but any input helps, I guess. As for schools, I remember a Harvard, UCB, south Carolina, Emory, and I think one or two mercer folks.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Aug 07, 2011 4:38 pm

Grizz wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:reviving this thread because it's now relevant (at least to me)...

Well they preselected you so they already want to talk to you.
It's also possible they were just trying to fill empty slots since I doubt a large number of people even applied to these places.

I guess I was hoping someone knew what type of GPA is usually required to be competitive for a callback (maybe Vandy would be a good comparison?)

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Sun Aug 07, 2011 4:39 pm

Vandy doesn't keep stats.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Aug 07, 2011 10:00 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
It's also possible they were just trying to fill empty slots since I doubt a large number of people even applied to these places.

I guess I was hoping someone knew what type of GPA is usually required to be competitive for a callback (maybe Vandy would be a good comparison?)
At UVA the average GPA is about a 3.36 for Kilpatrick. UVA's mean is a 3.3 Extrapolate as you like.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 09, 2011 6:19 pm

Phone call for Sutherland CB today
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Phone call for Sutherland CB today
Ditto.
from semjf?
No, OCi.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Tue Aug 09, 2011 7:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 09, 2011 7:00 pm

Ditto.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 09, 2011 7:16 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Ditto.
from semjf?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 09, 2011 8:28 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Ditto.
from semjf?
No, OCi.
what schools have already done OCI?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 09, 2011 9:07 pm

Anonymous User wrote:what schools have already done OCI?
It takes only 1 Google Search and 3 mouse clicks to see that Sutherland OCI has only been to 1 school so far: Emory. http://www.sutherlandcareers.com/studen ... interviews.
Tip for when there are live bullets flying: Firms don't like you to ask questions of interviewers if you could find the answer yourself this easily.
. . . .
No, OCi.
This this topic was actually seeking information about firms—not just a place to announce you won a call back, Emory guy... To try and be somewhat informative, I'll add that (in my experience) the call back notification varies from firm to firm, and person to person. Troutman, King & Spalding, Sutherland, Jones Day often make call back decisions or phone calls within a day of the interview. That's based on some calls I/my friends received over 2 OCI cycles. Other firms I interviewed with did not make decisions until weekly or bi-weekly hiring committee meetings, so that delays both call back & offer decisions (this can be especially unnerving).

But even not getting a call immediately may not the end of the story. A friend did not receive a call back from Alston, while his classmates did. So he did not make the "first cut." But weeks later in the cycle, he received a call back invitation and ultimately accepted an offer to be a summer associate. Moral of the story: don't count them a firm out until you get the thin letter in the mail...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 09, 2011 9:40 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
It takes only 1 Google Search and 3 mouse clicks to see that Sutherland OCI has only been to 1 school so far: Emory. http://www.sutherlandcareers.com/studen ... interviews.
Tip for when there are live bullets flying: Firms don't like you to ask questions of interviewers if you could find the answer yourself this easily.
. . . .
No, OCi.
This this topic was actually seeking information about firms—not just a place to announce you won a call back, Emory guy... To try and be somewhat informative, I'll add that (in my experience) the call back notification varies from firm to firm, and person to person. Troutman, King & Spalding, Sutherland, Jones Day often make call back decisions or phone calls within a day of the interview. That's based on some calls I/my friends received over 2 OCI cycles. Other firms I interviewed with did not make decisions until weekly or bi-weekly hiring committee meetings, so that delays both call back & offer decisions (this can be especially unnerving).

But even not getting a call immediately may not the end of the story. A friend did not receive a call back from Alston, while his classmates did. So he did not make the "first cut." But weeks later in the cycle, he received a call back invitation and ultimately accepted an offer to be a summer associate. Moral of the story: don't count them a firm out until you get the thin letter in the mail...
Rather than start a separate CB/offer thread, I thought it'd be better to just piggyback off of this. I'd certainly like to know if I'm out of the running at JD, K&S, Troutman, and others. Thanks for telling me what the thread should/shouldn't be about though.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 09, 2011 11:59 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
It takes only 1 Google Search and 3 mouse clicks to see that Sutherland OCI has only been to 1 school so far: Emory.
I'm sorry next time i will google it

jeeptiger09

Bronze

Post by jeeptiger09 » Wed Aug 10, 2011 12:02 am

Has anyone had any cold mail luck with Atlanta?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”