Let's talk about Atlanta! Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: Let's talk about Atlanta!

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Aug 14, 2017 11:46 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Curious about this process. If I received neither a callback or a ding from a firm (say, JD) does that mean I'm still in the running? Or does it just mean I probably am a ding but just havn't heard yet?
From my limited experience, southern firms tend to move slower. So, if you haven't gotten a ding, you are still in the running. It seems that many firms (JD included) have gone through at least one round of dings and CBs, meaning while you weren't their first choice, you aren't a "no way" either. Some firms I think are still entirely silent (looking at you Troutman). Anyway, this is all speculation based on anecdotal evidence. They may be saving the best for last!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 15, 2017 9:12 am

Anonymous User wrote:CBs extended from:
K&S
A&B
JD
Morris Manning
Baker Hostetler
Eversheds Sutherland
Bryan Cave
Smith Gambrell & Russell
Troutman

Dings:
Bryan Cave
Eversheds Sutherland
A&B
JD
Morris Manning
Added Troutman CB

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 15, 2017 9:56 am

Anyone with the knowledge willing to do a run down of the major ATL firms - similar to the one on p.1 ITT from 2011?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 15, 2017 11:51 am

Does anyone have actual information on Bondurant? They just reached out to me asking to set up a phone interview. I'm interested given the reputation, but know nothing about hours culture etc. it also seems weird that they have this amazing reputation for talent when only 2 of their 12 associates graduated from t14s, and most seem to have gone to UGA or Georgia state.

Minnietron

Silver

Post by Minnietron » Tue Aug 15, 2017 6:42 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Does anyone have actual information on Bondurant? They just reached out to me asking to set up a phone interview. I'm interested given the reputation, but know nothing about hours culture etc. it also seems weird that they have this amazing reputation for talent when only 2 of their 12 associates graduated from t14s, and most seem to have gone to UGA or Georgia state.
Pretty liberal firm--Jason Carter is a partner and there was a lot of support for his campaign throughout the firm. Hours are what you would expect at any high-level firm. Did you see how many of those associates graduated summa? Summa is no small feat at most any T1 school. UGA awards ~4 a year.
Last edited by Minnietron on Sat Jan 27, 2018 11:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 15, 2017 7:04 pm

Have an offer at one of the top firms in Atl, also offer at a top firm in NYC. I am leaning towards doing the NYC corporate deal for a couple of years or so and then coming back to Atl. Is this a dumb thing to do when I already have the option to come back? I am a little worried that even at a V5 lateraling back will be very difficult and this may be my only shot to get a big law gig in GA.

Lesion of Doom

Bronze

Post by Lesion of Doom » Tue Aug 15, 2017 7:31 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Have an offer at one of the top firms in Atl, also offer at a top firm in NYC. I am leaning towards doing the NYC corporate deal for a couple of years or so and then coming back to Atl. Is this a dumb thing to do when I already have the option to come back? I am a little worried that even at a V5 lateraling back will be very difficult and this may be my only shot to get a big law gig in GA.

I'm curious about this as well. I've always been told that you can NYC experience to damn near anywhere, and that what matters more is the specific practice area. And trying to go from the Southeast to NYC would be much more difficult.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 15, 2017 8:17 pm

I chose ATL over NYC and just finished an SA at KS/AB. The firm has many former NYC associates so it's definitely an option. But lateral associate hiring is different and done by need. So if you decide to lateral from NYC to ATL in your fourth year, say, then you have to find a firm that is looking for a fourth year in your practice area. So it's doable, but probably wrong to think that you can walk out the door of a V5 and into a top Atlanta firm whenever you want.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 16, 2017 6:49 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
K&S
A&B
JD
Morris Manning
Baker Hostetler
Eversheds Sutherland
Bryan Cave
Smith Gambrell & Russell
Troutman

Dings:
Bryan Cave
Eversheds Sutherland*
A&B*
JD
Morris Manning
Added Troutman CB
Added* for sneaky snail mail dings

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 16, 2017 10:37 pm

Any movement from Arnall? Interviewed with them at OCI a couple of days ago

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 16, 2017 10:50 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Any movement from Arnall? Interviewed with them at OCI a couple of days ago
I interviewed with them at Emory (aug 2nd) and it has been radio silence since then.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 17, 2017 3:55 pm

Just got a ding e-mail from K&S.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 17, 2017 4:01 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
K&S
A&B
JD
Morris Manning
Baker Hostetler
Eversheds Sutherland
Bryan Cave
Smith Gambrell & Russell
Troutman

Dings:
Bryan Cave
Eversheds Sutherland*
A&B*
JD
Morris Manning
K&S
Added Troutman CB
Added* for sneaky snail mail dings
Added K/S

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Aug 27, 2017 11:09 pm

Any news?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Aug 28, 2017 7:36 am

Anonymous User wrote:Any news?
My only update that isn't reflected in the most recent list is an e-mail ding from SGR.

magnum_law

Bronze

Post by magnum_law » Mon Aug 28, 2017 8:11 am

Anonymous User wrote:
My only update that isn't reflected in the most recent list is an e-mail ding from SGR.
Post-screener or post-CB?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Aug 28, 2017 8:13 am

What's the word on Bryan Cave ATL? Seems that the small summer classes makes it difficult to get info on culture/work.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Aug 28, 2017 11:10 am

Anyone heard from Burr Forman?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Aug 28, 2017 3:00 pm

magnum_law wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Post screener, but it took a while. I had no CB.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Aug 28, 2017 3:24 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
magnum_law wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
I got a post-CB ding at the end of last week if that's helpful info

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Aug 28, 2017 3:33 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
magnum_law wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
me too lmao

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

pauleycat

New

Post by pauleycat » Mon Aug 28, 2017 3:37 pm

Anonymous User wrote:What's the word on Bryan Cave ATL? Seems that the small summer classes makes it difficult to get info on culture/work.
I had a CB there a few weeks ago, and really liked the people I met/vibe of the office. Seemed much more laid back and down-to-earth than some of the other ATL firms. I waited a few extra days in the hopes I might hear something from them, but ultimately decided to take an offer elsewhere.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Aug 28, 2017 9:02 pm

pauleycat wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:What's the word on Bryan Cave ATL? Seems that the small summer classes makes it difficult to get info on culture/work.
I had a CB there a few weeks ago, and really liked the people I met/vibe of the office. Seemed much more laid back and down-to-earth than some of the other ATL firms. I waited a few extra days in the hopes I might hear something from them, but ultimately decided to take an offer elsewhere.
First, congrats on your offer and acceptance! BC ATL has not yet offered anyone that I know of (I know about 5 who had a CB at the ATL office) and some have had almost a month pass since their CB. I have heard of post-CB dings as well.

If you don't mind me asking, is the firm whose offer you accepted also located in ATL?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Aug 28, 2017 9:46 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
pauleycat wrote:
First, congrats on your offer and acceptance! BC ATL has not yet offered anyone that I know of (I know about 5 who had a CB at the ATL office) and some have had almost a month pass since their CB. I have heard of post-CB dings as well.

If you don't mind me asking, is the firm whose offer you accepted also located in ATL?
Just an FYI, I know of someone who just accepted an offer from BC. You might have not heard b/c the summer class is only 3-4 people this yr.

magnum_law

Bronze

Post by magnum_law » Mon Aug 28, 2017 9:54 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
magnum_law wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Very helpful - thanks for sharing. Hope you find something even better.
How long from CB to ding in your experience?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”