Let's talk about Atlanta! Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: Let's talk about Atlanta!

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jun 20, 2012 7:24 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Hi guys, I'm the OP. Atlanta was a fucking wasteland last year and I was unable to get a SA spot there. Fortunately, I did in another city. For all those trying, I can't stress enough to plan on not getting a spot in ATL and also concentrating heavily on home markets and NY.
school and class rank if you don't mind?? thanks for the insight-heard ATL can be brutal.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jun 20, 2012 7:46 pm

Obtainable with good grades from good / regional schools and ties to the south generally.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jun 20, 2012 8:06 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Hi guys, I'm the OP. Atlanta was a fucking wasteland last year and I was unable to get a SA spot there. Fortunately, I did in another city. For all those trying, I can't stress enough to plan on not getting a spot in ATL and also concentrating heavily on home markets and NY.
school and class rank if you don't mind?? thanks for the insight-heard ATL can be brutal.
One of UGA/Emory, top 5%. I had tons of callbacks, but I couldn't seal the deal there. Definitely not due to awkwardness, I had over 20 callbacks total and I fall squarely into the good old boy category. I also don't believe my performance is totally indicative of ATL -- plenty of people with way worse grades than I have got offers -- so don't freak out too bad. But IMO basically nobody should expect an offer from an ATL firm.

Unlike other markets like NY, it's basically impossible to determine how you'll do based on your grades/stats alone.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jun 20, 2012 11:39 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Bump for 2012.
Seconded. Top 20%ish at Vandy, what firms do I have the best shot at in ATL? Ties consist of some family in the city and going to undergrad and law school in the South.
If you're a nice person, you have a very good shot at Alston & Bird.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jun 21, 2012 12:38 am

anyone get any interviews with atlanta firms at SIPJF?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

fatduck

Gold

Post by fatduck » Thu Jun 21, 2012 12:58 am

Anonymous User wrote:anyone get any interviews with atlanta firms at SIPJF?
yea i got a few. not kilpatrick though, sadly.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jun 21, 2012 7:35 am

Something to keep in mind about Atlanta is that the callback-to-offer ratio is much tougher than NY. Where as in NY it might be 80-90%, I know at least one firm that only offered about 30-40% of callbacks. So you cannot let up once you get in the door.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jun 21, 2012 8:23 am

Anonymous User wrote:
I have been hearing differing things.. at my HYS our market consultants have told us that most of the major ATL firms (not including Bondurant, Sutherland, and the smaller elite boutiques) will go into the bottom third of the class if you have ties to the south and a real interest in being in ATL.

rad lulz

Platinum

Post by rad lulz » Thu Jun 21, 2012 9:32 am

This. Fucking wasteland.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jun 22, 2012 7:17 pm

rad lulz wrote:
This. Fucking wasteland.
Im shocked people are so pessimistic. Maybe it varies wildly by school because I have middle third grades at a HYS and a decent resume (corporate leaning) but recruiters/legal staffing consultants, who shouldn't be biased, are making it seem like ATL is clamoring for students from top schools regardless of grades.

prezidentv8

Gold

Post by prezidentv8 » Fri Jun 22, 2012 7:48 pm

Jermaine Dupri wrote:Yo, Yo.. Yo..Yo, Yo,
Welcome to Atlanta where the playas play
And we ride on them things like every day
Big beats, hit streets, see gangsta's roamin'
And parties dont stop til' eight in the mornin'

rad lulz

Platinum

Post by rad lulz » Fri Jun 22, 2012 9:01 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
rad lulz wrote:
This. Fucking wasteland.
Im shocked people are so pessimistic. Maybe it varies wildly by school because I have middle third grades at a HYS and a decent resume (corporate leaning) but recruiters/legal staffing consultants, who shouldn't be biased, are making it seem like ATL is clamoring for students from top schools regardless of grades.
They are not. I don't know what it's like at HYS, but the firms last year were just scooping up dudebros at southern schools with awesome grades. Ties didn't seem to matter that much if you were at a Southern school; it was more about grades.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jun 22, 2012 9:03 pm

Does Emory place well in Atl?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Ruxin1

Silver

Post by Ruxin1 » Fri Jun 22, 2012 9:05 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Does Emory place well in Atl?
If you have top grades.

rad lulz

Platinum

Post by rad lulz » Fri Jun 22, 2012 9:25 pm

Ruxin1 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Does Emory place well in Atl?
If you have top grades.
This.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jun 24, 2012 11:15 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
I have been hearing differing things.. at my HYS our market consultants have told us that most of the major ATL firms (not including Bondurant, Sutherland, and the smaller elite boutiques) will go into the bottom third of the class if you have ties to the south and a real interest in being in ATL.
Your parenthetical is odd. Are you sure this is what they said? Sutherland is probably one of the least grade conscious Atlanta firms. And it's hardly a "boutique"...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jun 24, 2012 11:18 am

Anonymous User wrote:Does anyone know anything about the recent King and Spalding 3L hiring? They've done it for 2 years in a row now.

Also, anyone have any comments on K&S in general?
Since the crash, K&S has been very conservative with summer hiring. They made summer offers very late one year so they didn't get as many people as they wanted (many had already accepted earlier-arriving offers from peer firms). And they have kept their class size considerably smaller than A&B and other firms that have ramped up a bit. (Compare a dozen or so for the past few years to over 20 this year at A&B). So they have done 3L hiring because the work has increased. Pretty simple explanation.

As for general comments, I'm not sure what you're after. It is a good firm, most of the things you hear about it are fairly accurate.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jun 24, 2012 12:00 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Your parenthetical is odd. Are you sure this is what they said? Sutherland is probably one of the least grade conscious Atlanta firms. And it's hardly a "boutique"...
Yea I didn't mean to include Sutherland in "smaller elite boutiques." They referred to Sutherland as "selective" but I am not certain whether they meant grade selective specifically. No one ever goes to Sutherland from here (data shows people didn't go even in boom times) so the consultants are pretty much all I have to go on.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jun 24, 2012 12:55 pm

Anonymous User wrote: school and class rank if you don't mind?? thanks for the insight-heard ATL can be brutal.
Your parenthetical is odd. Are you sure this is what they said? Sutherland is probably one of the least grade conscious Atlanta firms. And it's hardly a "boutique"...[/quote]

Yea I didn't mean to include Sutherland in "smaller elite boutiques." They referred to Sutherland as "selective" but I am not certain whether they meant grade selective specifically. No one ever goes to Sutherland from here (data shows people didn't go even in boom times) so the consultants are pretty much all I have to go on.[/quote]

I agree with you saying Sutherland isn't a boutique, but I definitely think it's more grade selective than Troutman/Kilpatrick/A+B.

My Atlanta ranking by grade selectivity would look something like this:

Band lulz don't even bother: Bondurant

Band 1: K&S, Sutherland, Troutman, Jones Day

Band 2: Kilpatrick, A+B

Band 3: Paul Hastings

Band 4: all other biglaw

Obviously not a total list, but that's about how I felt that it broke down last year.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jun 24, 2012 1:13 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote: school and class rank if you don't mind?? thanks for the insight-heard ATL can be brutal.
Yea I didn't mean to include Sutherland in "smaller elite boutiques." They referred to Sutherland as "selective" but I am not certain whether they meant grade selective specifically. No one ever goes to Sutherland from here (data shows people didn't go even in boom times) so the consultants are pretty much all I have to go on.
I agree with you saying Sutherland isn't a boutique, but I definitely think it's more grade selective than Troutman/Kilpatrick/A+B.

Obviously not a total list, but that's about how I felt that it broke down last year.
Disagree. Sutherland is not that selective, Troutman is even less selective, and A&B is about on par with K&S in terms of selectivity, maybe a tiny bit less.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jun 24, 2012 2:07 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Disagree. Sutherland is not that selective, Troutman is even less selective, and A&B is about on par with K&S in terms of selectivity, maybe a tiny bit less.
Yeah, these "bands" seem fairly far off. Troutman and Sutherland are nowhere NEAR as selective as K&S.

I think it probably goes something like:

Bondurant
K&S
A+B / Kilpatrick / Jones Day
Sutherland
Troutman

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jun 24, 2012 2:21 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Yeah, these "bands" seem fairly far off. Troutman and Sutherland are nowhere NEAR as selective as K&S.

I think it probably goes something like:

Bondurant
K&S
A+B / Kilpatrick / Jones Day
Sutherland
Troutman
Disagreer from above: I agree with this. I think the original poster (in this chain of quotes) was confused by Sutherland and Troutman because they are much more southern than the other big Atlanta firms. They don't hire much from top 14 schools outside the south, so maybe from that perspective they can seem more selective.

vissidarte27

Bronze

Post by vissidarte27 » Sun Jun 24, 2012 7:41 pm

Does anybody have experience looking for PI work in ATL? What kind of stats do you need to land a spot at the DA's office?

eandy

Gold

Post by eandy » Sun Jun 24, 2012 7:49 pm

vissidarte27 wrote:Does anybody have experience looking for PI work in ATL? What kind of stats do you need to land a spot at the DA's office?
This is office and school specific. PM me.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jun 24, 2012 9:56 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
rad lulz wrote:
This. Fucking wasteland.
LOL going to the best law school in the entire country might have something to do with ATL not being that hard.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”