Let's talk about Atlanta! Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
SplitMyPants

Gold

Re: Let's talk about Atlanta!

Post by SplitMyPants » Thu Feb 09, 2017 4:37 pm

Wow that's an awesome change. I always thought the previous sxale was overly compressed relative to the primary markets.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Feb 10, 2017 1:50 pm

Deleted
Last edited by Anonymous User on Tue Mar 21, 2017 1:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

pleasesendhelp

Bronze

Post by pleasesendhelp » Fri Mar 17, 2017 2:20 am

Any updates from the young and restless?

S.Picquery

Silver

Post by S.Picquery » Sat Mar 18, 2017 7:55 am

If I want to be in Atl after graduation and I'm in at Mich, UVa and Emory, would Michigan be an obvious bad move? I'm reluctant to completely discount it, but would I be shooting myself in the foot employment-wise coming from Mich to Atlanta?

MyNameIsFlynn!

Silver

Post by MyNameIsFlynn! » Sat Mar 18, 2017 9:08 am

S.Picquery wrote:If I want to be in Atl after graduation and I'm in at Mich, UVa and Emory, would Michigan be an obvious bad move? I'm reluctant to completely discount it, but would I be shooting myself in the foot employment-wise coming from Mich to Atlanta?
Short answer is yes. Go to uva instead.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

crouton62

New

Post by crouton62 » Sat Mar 18, 2017 10:37 am

I would agree that UVA is best choice for ATL; UVA places very well in ATL BigLaw and all firms go to UVA OCI. At Michigan, you might have to do more of the legwork yourself. But if you really like Michigan and do well there, I see no reason why ATL can't happen for you. Firms may press you a little harder on why ATL and your ties coming from Michigan. If you don't have strong ties to or a good reason for ATL, that might be another factor for UVA.

Toni V

Bronze

Post by Toni V » Sat Mar 18, 2017 3:50 pm

S.Picquery wrote:If I want to be in Atl after graduation and I'm in at Mich, UVa and Emory, would Michigan be an obvious bad move? I'm reluctant to completely discount it, but would I be shooting myself in the foot employment-wise coming from Mich to Atlanta?
As subjective as this is, Atlanta BL firms are wildly emphatic about ties, if you are on an “Atlanta or bust” mission, strongly consider UGA, they easily more than hold their own. Emory too (although pricier). For those graduating with honors, Tech and State will open doors. To some extent Mercer (with the highest honors) might get you in.

I do not quibble with those suggesting Duke, Vandy or UVA ― just pointing out that local ties are a unique aspect of this market.

SplitMyPants

Gold

Post by SplitMyPants » Sat Mar 18, 2017 9:30 pm

Toni V wrote:For those graduating with honors, Tech and State will open doors. To some extent Mercer (with the highest honors) might get you in.
Tech barely has liberal arts, much less a law school...

S.Picquery

Silver

Post by S.Picquery » Sun Mar 19, 2017 9:44 am

Toni V wrote: As subjective as this is, Atlanta BL firms are wildly emphatic about ties, if you are on an “Atlanta or bust” mission, strongly consider UGA, they easily more than hold their own. Emory too (although pricier). For those graduating with honors, Tech and State will open doors. To some extent Mercer (with the highest honors) might get you in.

I do not quibble with those suggesting Duke, Vandy or UVA ― just pointing out that local ties are a unique aspect of this market.
I have ties to Atlanta as is, and my Emory scholarship makes it much cheaper than UGA.

Thanks everyone for the input. That was incredibly helpful.

E:for grammar

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

SplitMyPants

Gold

Post by SplitMyPants » Sun Mar 19, 2017 12:13 pm

S.Picquery wrote:
Toni V wrote: As subjective as this is, Atlanta BL firms are wildly emphatic about ties, if you are on an “Atlanta or bust” mission, strongly consider UGA, they easily more than hold their own. Emory too (although pricier). For those graduating with honors, Tech and State will open doors. To some extent Mercer (with the highest honors) might get you in.

I have ties to Atlanta as is, and my Emory scholarship makes it much cheaper than UGA.

If that's the case, try negotiating with UGA. If you really have an Emory scholly that makes it cheaper right now than UGA, you should likely be able to get UGA for free. Both schools have similar big law / fed clerkship numbers.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Mar 19, 2017 6:14 pm

SplitMyPants wrote:
S.Picquery wrote:

If that's the case, try negotiating with UGA. If you really have an Emory scholly that makes it cheaper right now than UGA, you should likely be able to get UGA for free. Both schools have similar big law / fed clerkship numbers.
I mean, Emory's tuition is only 10k right now and I just like it much better than UGA. But in any other situation I agree with you. It's really down to visiting campuses now to determine UVA vs. Emory, I suppose (with Michigan only being "worth it" if they decide to seriously up the scholarship).

Again, thank you for the input. I really appreciate it :)

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Mar 19, 2017 8:16 pm

What GPA range is competitive for ATL biglaw from Texas/GTown/Vandy for someone from ATL area? How important is flagship law journal?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Mar 19, 2017 9:19 pm

Anonymous User wrote:What GPA range is competitive for ATL biglaw from Texas/GTown/Vandy for someone from ATL area? How important is flagship law journal?
Annecdata:
T20
Top 10%
Non-flagship journal
Strong ties

CB: K&S, A+B, Troutman, Kilpatrick, and AGG. Multiple Offers.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Mar 19, 2017 9:26 pm

Erm... just realized I should have mentioned that I'm gunning hardcore for PI. Does this change any of the advice already given? Sorry to leave that out. But yeah, PI in Atl is the dream/goal.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Mar 19, 2017 10:02 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Erm... just realized I should have mentioned that I'm gunning hardcore for PI. Does this change any of the advice already given? Sorry to leave that out. But yeah, PI in Atl is the dream/goal.
Go to Emory and network while in school.

ETA: Take advantage of intern/externships while at Emory.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Mar 20, 2017 12:37 pm

Hello! thanks for all the useful advice (started reading from page one. lots of useful info, but possibly outdated?).

Anyways, I'm wondering why it seems nearly everyone is basically saying go to UGA over Emory because they have similar, if not better, employment opportunities in ATL. LST puts them at 20% BigLaw+Fed, while Emory is at/slightly above 30% BigLaw+Fed.

Is it mainly due to cost, or networking? From what I hear, Emory networking is nothing to joke about (though they dont have any legit sports teams. Not that the bulldogs are actually any good anymore.) There's over a 10 place differencei n rank as well, but we all know USNEWS doesn't mean shit. Just thought I'd throw that in there.

So many questions. So sorry.

What constitutes "ties"? I see this emphasized a lot as well regarding ATL legal employment. Is this referring to family, history (living in Atl for a long time), work experience, or network? I'm assuming it's all of the above, but some specificity would be nice. Sorry if I'm asking for too much.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Mar 20, 2017 1:37 pm

What GPA range is competitive for ATL biglaw from Texas/GTown/Vandy for someone from ATL area? How important is flagship law journal?
Same ballpark of schools as you but transferred in from T50. Top 20% at old school and got on law review, but no journal at the new school. Really strong ties to ATL. Didn't get anything from the top ATL firms like K&S and A&B but got multiple offers from elsewhere.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

MyNameIsFlynn!

Silver

Post by MyNameIsFlynn! » Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:45 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Hello! thanks for all the useful advice (started reading from page one. lots of useful info, but possibly outdated?).

Anyways, I'm wondering why it seems nearly everyone is basically saying go to UGA over Emory because they have similar, if not better, employment opportunities in ATL. LST puts them at 20% BigLaw+Fed, while Emory is at/slightly above 30% BigLaw+Fed.

Is it mainly due to cost, or networking? From what I hear, Emory networking is nothing to joke about (though they dont have any legit sports teams. Not that the bulldogs are actually any good anymore.) There's over a 10 place differencei n rank as well, but we all know USNEWS doesn't mean shit. Just thought I'd throw that in there.

What constitutes "ties"? I see this emphasized a lot as well regarding ATL legal employment. Is this referring to family, history (living in Atl for a long time), work experience, or network? I'm assuming it's all of the above, but some specificity would be nice. Sorry if I'm asking for too much.
Re ties: look at the bios for junior associates at KS, AB, Troutman, Sutherland, etc and you'll see that many (most?) went to one of a handful of high schools ITP and attended Emory, UGA, or another SEC flagship for undergrad. And a significant number went to UGA or Emory law. That's the typical level of ties. so to answer your question, all of the above.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:58 pm

MyNameIsFlynn! wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Hello! thanks for all the useful advice (started reading from page one. lots of useful info, but possibly outdated?).

Re ties: look at the bios for junior associates at KS, AB, Troutman, Sutherland, etc and you'll see that many (most?) went to one of a handful of high schools ITP and attended Emory, UGA, or another SEC flagship for undergrad. And a significant number went to UGA or Emory law. That's the typical level of ties. so to answer your question, all of the above.
Muchos gracias. I'm assuming i'll be somewhat alright then since I've lived in ATL my whole life and have connections in law enforcement. I did do my undergrad in abroad though...Also, what's ITP. In the past? Something Something Private? In Their Prime?

Totally different question:

I have also heard of something called diversity hires. Is this similar to URM status for LS, but expanded beyond African-Americans, Hispanics, Native Americans, and Pacific Islanders? (Forgive me if I've left any out. Don't know exactly what counts as URM these days).

I've 100% committed to living and working in ATL. Hence all the questions. Just love the weather, the abundance of trees, the heart exploding food of the gods, and good ol' southern hospitality. I'm appalled by how some people outside of GA don't say please or thank you, or even open doors for people. Damn heathens.

SplitMyPants

Gold

Post by SplitMyPants » Tue Mar 21, 2017 1:21 am

You've lived in Atlanta your whole life and haven't heard of OTP (outside the perimeter) vs ITP (inside the perimeter)? (Perimeter being I-285...)

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Mar 21, 2017 2:17 am

SplitMyPants wrote:You've lived in Atlanta your whole life and haven't heard of OTP (outside the perimeter) vs ITP (inside the perimeter)? (Perimeter being I-285...)
Should've been more specific. I lived in the burbs.Not familiar with city folk terminology.

So I'm guessing not attending a high school ITP (GAC for example) is a negative?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Mar 21, 2017 3:26 pm

No it's not necessarily a negative. I've had plenty of conversations about the various metro Atlanta high schools that I and my friends have gone to throughout Cobb, Gwinnett, north Fulton etc.

ClubberLang

Bronze

Post by ClubberLang » Tue Mar 21, 2017 5:37 pm

Anonymous User wrote:No it's not necessarily a negative. I've had plenty of conversations about the various metro Atlanta high schools that I and my friends have gone to throughout Cobb, Gwinnett, north Fulton etc.
Yeah, but if you're from Cherokee or Rockdale or somewhere like that you are better off not even applying.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Mar 21, 2017 6:32 pm

Ties are so overblown for ATL. If you go to emory or uga and are in the top 20%+LR you'll do very well in OCI. If you're normal/non-aspie you'll do fine in interviews. If you don't, its not because you didnt go to westminster and spend your highschool weekends in Buckhead...

MyNameIsFlynn!

Silver

Post by MyNameIsFlynn! » Tue Mar 21, 2017 9:38 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Ties are so overblown for ATL. If you go to emory or uga and are in the top 20%+LR you'll do very well in OCI. If you're normal/non-aspie you'll do fine in interviews. If you don't, its not because you didnt go to westminster and spend your highschool weekends in Buckhead...
ATL is very ties-sensitive, but you're right that attending Emory/UGA law is probably sufficient to show a tie to Atl. Someone from a random non-GA school should be concerned about ties though.
Anonymous User wrote:No it's not necessarily a negative. I've had plenty of conversations about the various metro Atlanta high schools that I and my friends have gone to throughout Cobb, Gwinnett, north Fulton etc.
Agreed.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”