Let's talk about Atlanta! Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: Let's talk about Atlanta!

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Mar 21, 2017 10:21 pm

MyNameIsFlynn! wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Ties are so overblown for ATL. If you go to emory or uga and are in the top 20%+LR you'll do very well in OCI. If you're normal/non-aspie you'll do fine in interviews. If you don't, its not because you didnt go to westminster and spend your highschool weekends in Buckhead...
ATL is very ties-sensitive, but you're right that attending Emory/UGA law is probably sufficient to show a tie to Atl. Someone from a random non-GA school should be concerned about ties though.
Anonymous User wrote:No it's not necessarily a negative. I've had plenty of conversations about the various metro Atlanta high schools that I and my friends have gone to throughout Cobb, Gwinnett, north Fulton etc.
Agreed.
Thank you all for clarifying. Regardless having pretty strong ties, seems it doesn't matter if I'm not top 20%.

I still have no answer for the diversity hire question. TBH, not even sure if it's an answerable one, but if any of y'all have anecdotes to share, I'd be glad to read them. I'm no gunner, not yet at least, but I'll take any advantage I can get.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Mar 21, 2017 10:56 pm

Your original inclination regarding diversity bumps / hires is more or less accurate. Like URM, but a bit broader (particularly depending on practice area—e.g., african americans are particularly under represented in STEM, whereas asian americans are less so).

Regarding ties and the "20%" mentioned, if Atlanta biglaw is your end game, I would be thinking UVA/Duke. With ties, URM, and a T14 degree from UVA or Duke you should have plenty of options.

That said, you could have plenty of great options beyond biglaw for cheaper at UGA. But you'd essentially be rolling a six-sided die on biglaw and hoping for that six.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Mar 22, 2017 8:59 pm

Does anybody know how stringent ATL firms are for laterals not barred in GA? im currently admitted to 3 bars (MD, DC and VA) and for personal reasons want to move back down to ATL this fall. Thought i would take the Attorney's exam in July and apply for firms in the fall, but just realized the deadline for that was in December (wtf???). Anyway, if i applied in the fall would i be seriously disadvantaged vs. other people or are the firms generally ok with hiring me and then letting me study and pass it later?

Toni V

Bronze

Post by Toni V » Thu Mar 23, 2017 11:06 am

While anecdotal, not being barred in GA is not a barrier to securing an offer. Atlanta's bigger firms regularly hire out of state laterals. Also, shortly before the exam, the firm provides a few paid weeks off plus they pay for Barbri, etc.

SplitMyPants

Gold

Post by SplitMyPants » Fri Apr 14, 2017 3:40 pm

What is it with secondary markets and no offers? Just checked NALP and noticed that A&B no offered someone for the third year in a row that I'm aware of

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

DrSpaceman11

New

Post by DrSpaceman11 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 11:52 am

How do Emory grads do in Atlanta when they are outside the top 1/3? What job opportunities are people graduating from 33%- around median? I assume BigLaw is completely out.

ookoshi

Bronze

Post by ookoshi » Fri Apr 21, 2017 3:20 pm

SplitMyPants wrote:What is it with secondary markets and no offers? Just checked NALP and noticed that A&B no offered someone for the third year in a row that I'm aware of
I summered at a different firm, but from talking to friends who summered at A&B, I'm just gonna say you have to do something exceedingly dumb to be no-offered.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Apr 21, 2017 4:19 pm

ookoshi wrote:
SplitMyPants wrote:What is it with secondary markets and no offers? Just checked NALP and noticed that A&B no offered someone for the third year in a row that I'm aware of
I summered at a different firm, but from talking to friends who summered at A&B, I'm just gonna say you have to do something exceedingly dumb to be no-offered.
i summered there a couple years ago, and i still don't know what the person who got no offered did to get no offered... so while i would expect your statement to be true, it remains less clear after my summer there.

arrowkarrow

New

Post by arrowkarrow » Thu Apr 27, 2017 7:05 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Starts at 160, then add 15 and from 3rd year on up, add 10 more annually.
Can someone explain to me what this looks like? Also, the firms are starting at 155

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Apr 28, 2017 9:05 am

Any reason not to choose PH or JD in Atlanta over any other firm there considering the NY pay scale? Say PH v Alston or K&S? I think the latter two are considered more prestigious in the city, but is that worth it for the pay decrease?

crouton62

New

Post by crouton62 » Fri Apr 28, 2017 2:05 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Any reason not to choose PH or JD in Atlanta over any other firm there considering the NY pay scale? Say PH v Alston or K&S? I think the latter two are considered more prestigious in the city, but is that worth it for the pay decrease?
Don't let money be the decider if you prefer one of the ATL-based firms. Per Vault, JD and PH pay $160K in Atlanta, only $5K more than A&B and K&S. And remember JD's blackbox comp and potential for lower bonuses means a lot of their midlevels are likely making less than market. K&S and A&B are objectively the two best large firms in ATL and for sure have the lay prestige in town. If you're trying to be an ATL lifer, the hometown firms are likely to give you more bang for your buck in later jobs searches.

JD probs has the best or close second M&A practice in town behind K&S, if you're thinking corporate. I don't see or hear much about PH ATL, but PH overall is obviously a very nice firm. I have friend at all four firms, and from I can tell, K&S, JD, and PH work their associates like rented mules. My friends at A&B seem much happier overall but YMMV.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Apr 28, 2017 2:42 pm

crouton62 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Any reason not to choose PH or JD in Atlanta over any other firm there considering the NY pay scale? Say PH v Alston or K&S? I think the latter two are considered more prestigious in the city, but is that worth it for the pay decrease?
Don't let money be the decider if you prefer one of the ATL-based firms. Per Vault, JD and PH pay $160K in Atlanta, only $5K more than A&B and K&S. And remember JD's blackbox comp and potential for lower bonuses means a lot of their midlevels are likely making less than market. K&S and A&B are objectively the two best large firms in ATL and for sure have the lay prestige in town. If you're trying to be an ATL lifer, the hometown firms are likely to give you more bang for your buck in later jobs searches.

JD probs has the best or close second M&A practice in town behind K&S, if you're thinking corporate. I don't see or hear much about PH ATL, but PH overall is obviously a very nice firm. I have friend at all four firms, and from I can tell, K&S, JD, and PH work their associates like rented mules. My friends at A&B seem much happier overall but YMMV.
PH is 180k in Atlanta now. 25k seems like a pretty big difference, but maybe not worth the difference in quality of life or exit options in ATL.

arrowkarrow

New

Post by arrowkarrow » Sat Apr 29, 2017 1:43 am

Anonymous User wrote:
crouton62 wrote:

PH is 180k in Atlanta now. 25k seems like a pretty big difference, but maybe not worth the difference in quality of life or exit options in ATL.
The 25k is just the starting difference. It seems as if the K&S, A&B, etc are on a compressed scale too. But I'm in no position to say what is worth it. From a local perspective, it seems as if K&S and A&B have more prestige.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jun 15, 2017 11:09 am

How did everyone do in the GA bar? I heard the pass rate wasn't horrendous but less than normal. No data that I know of was released on ATL.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jun 16, 2017 12:09 am

Passed

ookoshi

Bronze

Post by ookoshi » Mon Jun 19, 2017 12:00 pm

Anonymous User wrote:How did everyone do in the GA bar? I heard the pass rate wasn't horrendous but less than normal. No data that I know of was released on ATL.
I dunno about you, but personally I find the numbers to be pretty bad.

https://www.gabaradmissions.org/georgia ... stics#0217

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jun 20, 2017 11:00 am

ookoshi wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:How did everyone do in the GA bar? I heard the pass rate wasn't horrendous but less than normal. No data that I know of was released on ATL.
I dunno about you, but personally I find the numbers to be pretty bad.

https://www.gabaradmissions.org/georgia ... stics#0217
Good info. This is the stat I was most interested in. As a lateral with only two weeks to study, very happy to be one of the 89.1%!

Total of Lawyers Admitted in Another State Taking Examination - 119
89.1% Passed

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jun 27, 2017 4:38 pm

So I've begun mass-mailing, but I'm pretty sure I have no shot. Little over 3.0 at MPBCNG, URM, Good - Great Softs, 100% Ties, etc. It seems like even with the positives, my gpa will keep me out of my own hometown due to the selectivity in the market. Is there anything I can/should do to help improve my chances?

ookoshi

Bronze

Post by ookoshi » Tue Jun 27, 2017 5:39 pm

Anonymous User wrote:So I've begun mass-mailing, but I'm pretty sure I have no shot. Little over 3.0 at MPBCNG, URM, Good - Great Softs, 100% Ties, etc. It seems like even with the positives, my gpa will keep me out of my own hometown due to the selectivity in the market. Is there anything I can/should do to help improve my chances?
Hard to answer with just the info here. PM me.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 10, 2017 10:37 am

Does anyone know both the current entry salary & overall salary structure for the following ATL outposts:

Nelson Mullins
Burr & Forman
Baker Donelson

It seems that there is either old information or no information available online. I also haven't seen what the progression is like and if it mimics A&B, K&S, Kilpatrick, etc.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Aug 14, 2017 6:00 pm

Wanted to compile what I've gathered from various threads so far from the Atlanta market.

CBs extended from:
K&S
A&B
JD
Morris Manning
Baker Hostetler
eversheds sutherland

Dings:
Bryan Cave
eversheds sutherland
A&B

Update and add at will.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Aug 14, 2017 6:30 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Wanted to compile what I've gathered from various threads so far from the Atlanta market.

CBs extended from:
K&S
A&B
JD
Morris Manning
Baker Hostetler
Eversheds Sutherland
Bryan Cave
Smith Gambrell & Russell

Dings:
Bryan Cave
Eversheds Sutherland
A&B

Update and add at will.
Added CBs:

Bryan Cave
Smith Gambrell

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Aug 14, 2017 10:37 pm

CBs extended from:
K&S
A&B
JD
Morris Manning
Baker Hostetler
eversheds sutherland
Bryan Cave
Smith Gambrell & Russell

Dings:
Bryan Cave
eversheds sutherland
A&B
JD

Added JD ding

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Aug 14, 2017 10:40 pm

CBs extended from:
K&S
A&B
JD
Morris Manning
Baker Hostetler
eversheds sutherland
Bryan Cave
Smith Gambrell & Russell

Dings:
Bryan Cave
eversheds sutherland
A&B
JD
Morris Manning

Added MMM ding

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Aug 14, 2017 10:48 pm

Curious about this process. If I received neither a callback or a ding from a firm (say, JD) does that mean I'm still in the running? Or does it just mean I probably am a ding but just havn't heard yet?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”