Let's talk about Atlanta! Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: Let's talk about Atlanta!

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 04, 2018 10:10 pm

Anonymous User wrote:What are your general thoughts on Atlanta? Would it be dumb to take an Atlanta offer over NYC/DC?

People in my class at a T14 seem "look down" on Atlanta versus other big cities; is their judgment warranted? Or is Atlanta an underrated place to live? Is the law in Atlanta any less complex? Are exit options any materially worse? Re my classmates: law school prestige tunnel vision, or valid conclusion?

I like Atlanta more, but it's really hard not to follow the pack of my classmates.
Biased because I go to Emory, but it's a great place to live and to work. $165k in Atlanta goes a lot farther than $190k in NY/DC, and it's honestly a great place to live - we've actually got trees, and midtown/downtown isn't a stifling concrete jungle. Atlanta is a tough market to break into, though. I have friends here who got multiple offers in NY/DC/Chicago who didn't get a single callback in Atlanta so in a sense, it is a more competitive market (mainly because it's smaller). If you're at some of the "big-name" Atlanta firms like K&S, A&B, maybe Kilpatrick and Troutman, then you'll have a lot of opportunities to do top-of-the-line work and you'll have great exit options in Atlanta. Emphasis here on "in Atlanta" because it's hard to move from Atlanta back to NYC/DC. I would advise you not to pick a job just because your classmates will look more favorably on you.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 05, 2018 12:38 am

As someone who lateraled into Atl from NYC, the lifestyle here (and COL) is so much better….partly because the weather is much nicer. For what it costs for a small NYC/DC apartment you can purchase a very nice 3500sqft home in a safe neighborhood. I recently had an offer from a V DC firm (where I have friends) and turned it down. Atl downside: no mass transportation and traffic is terrible….a 15 mile trip to the office often takes an hour.

Not certain about the mid/smaller firms, but at the V firms, the work is challenging, and 2000 hours is a norm.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 05, 2018 11:25 am

Anonymous User wrote:What are your general thoughts on Atlanta? Would it be dumb to take an Atlanta offer over NYC/DC?

People in my class at a T14 seem "look down" on Atlanta versus other big cities; is their judgment warranted? Or is Atlanta an underrated place to live? Is the law in Atlanta any less complex? Are exit options any materially worse? Re my classmates: law school prestige tunnel vision, or valid conclusion?

I like Atlanta more, but it's really hard not to follow the pack of my classmates.
Are you from Atlanta? You can always lateral from NYC to anywhere later. Honestly, it'd be even easier to get Atlanta as a lateral than through OCI if you don't have ties (as everyone who lives in Atl would totally understand someone wanting to move there as a mid level after a few years in NYC versus being skeptical about people regretting getting Atl through OCI and wanting something bigger since they didn't know much about Atlanta and don't have strong ties.) Personally, I'm from Atlanta and decided to do a few years in NYC before making a move back, and so far I haven't regretted it. Although, after going back to visit family, I'm having a bit of FOMO of all my friends who live near the Beltline and get to Bird over to New Realm. The recent continued growth has me really looking forward to moving back. Here's hoping home prices can flatten out a bit...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 05, 2018 5:04 pm

Anyone know if Morris Manning has made offers?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 05, 2018 7:49 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Anyone know if Morris Manning has made offers?
Silence here. Notably, I emailed asking for an update last week, and I was told we'll hear back this week.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 06, 2018 9:44 am

Having the same total silence experience. Any word on Troutman, KT, or MMM offer status?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 06, 2018 10:50 am

Still have not heard anything from MMM, though I have heard that some people have received offers from them. I have several friends who have already accepted offers from Troutman.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 06, 2018 12:09 pm

I know KT has already extended offers.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 06, 2018 12:16 pm

What about AGG?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 06, 2018 2:15 pm

Does anyone know the new Atlanta lock steps at K&S, A&B, and Eversheds?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 06, 2018 2:48 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Still have not heard anything from MMM, though I have heard that some people have received offers from them. I have several friends who have already accepted offers from Troutman.
Seems like a lot of people haven't heard. Of the students that have heard, do you know what schools they are with?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 06, 2018 2:57 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Does anyone know the new Atlanta lock steps at K&S, A&B, and Eversheds?
K&S is 165, 170, 185, 205 for first through fourth year. Not sure above that.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 06, 2018 2:57 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Still have not heard anything from MMM, though I have heard that some people have received offers from them. I have several friends who have already accepted offers from Troutman.
MMM is my favorite firm, and I thought I destroyed my interview. This makes me devastated. I haven’t heard anything and go to T14.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 07, 2018 11:31 am

Thoughts on A&B / KTS / Sutherland for patent prosecution (EE/CS, specifically)? Mostly curious about QoL/hours and exit opportunities as my end goal is to go in-house.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 07, 2018 2:46 pm

Rejected from MMM via email

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Nov 15, 2018 1:16 pm

With an emphasis on pay and chill (and possibly partnership odds).... Which are the best mid-law Atlanta firms?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Nov 15, 2018 2:00 pm

Going into lit at a V10 firm in NYC next year with hopes of lateraling to ATL eventually. Any idea on how hard that is to do for a T14 grad (top 15%) no clerkships? OCI ATL was pretty sparse here. I have strong ties to the south, but not to ATL specifically. Just wondering if it will be a real grind to get back in 2-3 years. Also, from my research, it seems like I will have to take and pass the GA bar since I won't have 5 years of experience, is that correct?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Nov 16, 2018 11:17 am

It is not necessary to sit for the full GA bar. Numerous openings exist.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Dec 04, 2018 11:39 am

What has the typical Atlanta biglaw bonus structure been in past years?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Dec 04, 2018 5:51 pm

A 4th year in NYC is around $60k, in Atlanta, it is $30k (at ATL versions of BL).

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Dec 05, 2018 12:12 pm

Anonymous User wrote:A 4th year in NYC is around $60k, in Atlanta, it is $30k (at ATL versions of BL).
So if we use 30k at 4th year as a baseline, what is it before that - 7500, 15k, ~20k, 30k? Something along those lines?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Dec 18, 2018 10:07 pm

Does anyone have info on mcguirewoods? Temperament, pay/bonus, etc., etc.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Dec 20, 2018 10:57 am

Anonymous User wrote:It is not necessary to sit for the full GA bar. Numerous openings exist.
Info about the GA attorney's exam: https://www.gabaradmissions.org/attorney-exam

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jan 21, 2019 12:41 am

Haven't heard much about Atlanta for a few months. What's up?

Sprinkler

New

Post by Sprinkler » Mon Apr 08, 2019 4:13 pm

I’ve heard varying “good to bad” opinions about Vernis & Bowling. Anyone here have a take on their Atlanta office?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”