Let's talk about Atlanta! Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
gregfootball2001

Silver

Re: Let's talk about Atlanta!

Post by gregfootball2001 » Thu Jul 26, 2018 1:36 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote: Troutman has not yet matched Atlanta raises, to my knowledge. So they start at 155, not 165. He likes it there.
Given their under market pay, I did a quick random check. No surprise. there are very few T14ers or tier one hires (over the last few years). Overall, they are mainly a feeder firm for local LS grads, mainly Mercer and Ga State (some Emory too).
I know like 4 kids from UVA that were there this summer so this is definitely wrong
What I find puzzling is why a T14er would consider hitching up to a firm paying under market.
Not everyone has perfect grades, dipshit
So the earlier reply should have said…. I know like 4 kids from UVA (with mediocre grades) that were there this summer.

(The result of failing to pay market?)
At the time people chose their firms for this summer, Troutman paid Atlanta market.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jul 29, 2018 5:02 pm

Anonymous User wrote: Vault ranking doesn't matter in ATL. Amlaw ranking barely matters.
That’s not exactly true. I placed my out-of-state friend’s name into the candidate pool and she was rejected because she was only practicing at a mid-ranked law firm (in the same metro I lateralled from). A real downer considering I would have received a 10k finder’s fee.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jul 30, 2018 9:58 pm

Morris Manning raised over the weekend.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jul 30, 2018 10:36 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Morris Manning raised over the weekend.
Are they up to the KS/AB scale?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jul 30, 2018 11:37 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Sorry, I don’t have any more details. I assume their 1st years are making 165. I doubt they’re lockstep.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 31, 2018 12:01 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote: Vault ranking doesn't matter in ATL. Amlaw ranking barely matters.
That’s not exactly true. I placed my out-of-state friend’s name into the candidate pool and she was rejected because she was only practicing at a mid-ranked law firm (in the same metro I lateralled from). A real downer considering I would have received a 10k finder’s fee.
My point was that Vault and Amlaw rank doesn't really matter and that practice area is key. In other words, deciding to lateral from Troutman to K&S or JD just because those firms have a higher Vault/Amlaw rating makes zero sense.
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote: Troutman has not yet matched Atlanta raises, to my knowledge. So they start at 155, not 165. He likes it there.
Given their under market pay, I did a quick random check. No surprise. there are very few T14ers or tier one hires (over the last few years). Overall, they are mainly a feeder firm for local LS grads, mainly Mercer and Ga State (some Emory too).
Troutman associate here. Can confirm that we haven't matched 165 yet, but to say that there are few tier one hires and that we mostly hire Mercer and Georgia State grads is ill informed. The vast majority of atlanta office hires are emory, virginia, vanderbilt, north carolina, and georgia, all of which are tier 1. We normally bring in a top 5 mercer student and some top 10 georgia state students as well.
So this is the kind of stuff that I'm talking about. Troutman is a good firm, and the idea that it's "limited" to Mercer/GSU grads is silly. And this comment isn't intended to cast aspersions at Mercer/GSU grads.
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:K&S, Jones Day, and Greenberg are the big firms. I'd probs only work for Jones Day but make efforts to stay out of Engle cases. I don't think I added GT to my list, but they're awful. It used to be a "blood for cash" place because you billed a zillion hours but got way above market bonuses. But I don't think they raised salaries (in response to the 20k bump last year or the 10k bump this year), so their comp is still above market but you have to bill a lot to get there. I can also say from personal experience that at least two of their partners are terrible people. A guy I know also left and made the most bizarre farewell announcement I've ever seen. It heavily implied that he had been asked to do unethical things.

Wheeler Trigg O'Donnell just opened up a shop here. It's probably too soon for that office to take on junior associates (like, it opened a month ago), but it's a phenomenal defense torts shop (Band 2 nationally!) that pays at or slightly above market. I have no idea whether it's a good work environment, but I guarantee you'll get substantive experience working on cool stuff.

Although I don't work at one, I've always been partial to lit boutiques. In my experience, associates get to do more cool stuff, the lower-end matters mean more responsibility, and they tend to be less heavy on the bullshit formalism and endless need to tweak (read: increase billables) that can infect larger law firms.

Weinberg Wheeler would also be an excellent choice if you don't mind doing products liability with some wrecks and medmal thrown in. I don't know what they pay, but I'd be surprised if it was lower than 10-15k below market.

Great info here. Only one question: why would you make efforts to stay out of Engle cases?
IMO, Engle cases are really good at preparing you to do Engle cases. But, at this point, I think they're pretty rote. There's a set trial plan, and they usually stay within pretty defined parameters. It's like asbestos litigation: amazing if you rode it on the way up, but I think the opportunity to get in on the ground floor has passed.

One thing I always recommend avoiding (unless there's something you're really interested in) is avoiding getting pigeonholed. IMO, getting stuck in the Engle machine isn't something that's necessarily the best career move for a junior associate. To be fair, you do get lots of trial time, and there was one recent K&S senior associate that went out on her own after doing a bunch of Engle cases. That could be a viable path, but I don't know that someone starting as a junior now could build a long-term career at K&S by doing Engle cases.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 31, 2018 1:31 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Sorry, I don’t have any more details. I assume their 1st years are making 165. I doubt they’re lockstep.
Do you happen to know how/when this was announced?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 31, 2018 3:06 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Do you happen to know how/when this was announced?
Saturday

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 31, 2018 10:54 pm

Has Kilpatrick raised?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 01, 2018 1:00 am

Anonymous User wrote:Has Kilpatrick raised?
Nope. They’re “still evaluating.”

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 08, 2018 6:20 pm

Does anyone know what current comp is at Arnall?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 08, 2018 6:45 pm

Dang, I like Morris Manning more now.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 08, 2018 7:24 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Does anyone know what current comp is at Arnall?
Check NALP Directory. Also no one calls it that.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 09, 2018 12:09 pm

What is the latest update on firms who raised/did not raise?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 10, 2018 12:56 am

Anonymous User wrote:What is the latest update on firms who raised/did not raise?
Update? KS, AB, Morris Manning, Eversheds, and Bondurant have raised.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 10, 2018 10:14 am

For those firms that have not raised, is what is their typical pay scale?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Aug 12, 2018 1:44 am

Do the major Atlanta firms typically send dings after screeners? Had a few where the interviewers said I would hear back soon (in person or via email following the screener), and have had nothing from any except those quickly offering CBs (no calls, no dings). Wondering if I'm on some waitlist while they see who accepts offers or if I can just assume nothing is coming.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Aug 12, 2018 1:58 am

Anonymous User wrote:Do the major Atlanta firms typically send dings after screeners? Had a few where the interviewers said I would hear back soon (in person or via email following the screener), and have had nothing from any except those quickly offering CBs (no calls, no dings). Wondering if I'm on some waitlist while they see who accepts offers or if I can just assume nothing is coming.
Alston and Bird sent an email ding to me

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Aug 12, 2018 9:06 am

Anonymous User wrote:Do the major Atlanta firms typically send dings after screeners? Had a few where the interviewers said I would hear back soon (in person or via email following the screener), and have had nothing from any except those quickly offering CBs (no calls, no dings). Wondering if I'm on some waitlist while they see who accepts offers or if I can just assume nothing is coming.
Same thing happened to me generally. Out of almost ten Atlanta firms, two dinged me relatively quickly after OCI, and one gave me a callback to schedule. The rest have been silent.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Aug 12, 2018 9:32 am

Also in the same boat. 1 CB, no dings.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Aug 12, 2018 2:34 pm

For firms with 100 (or so) attornies paying under market, is $170k roughly their average pay?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

gregfootball2001

Silver

Post by gregfootball2001 » Mon Aug 13, 2018 10:37 am

Anonymous User wrote:For firms with 100 (or so) attornies paying under market, is $170k roughly their average pay?
$165k is the new "market" for first-years, so no, $170k would not be the average pay for a firm paying under market.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Aug 13, 2018 12:35 pm

gregfootball2001 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:For firms with 100 (or so) attornies paying under market, is $170k roughly their average pay?
$165k is the new "market" for first-years, so no, $170k would not be the average pay for a firm paying under market.
That's good to hear.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Aug 13, 2018 12:53 pm

Any updates from anyone on offers/dings from the big Atl firms? Had approx. 10 interviews at oci and nothing but radio silence since. At this point I am less than optimistic.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Aug 13, 2018 5:23 pm

When I went through OCI, there seemed to be no pattern for callbacks. Sutherland gave me a callback like 2 hours after my interview. Others didn't get back to me for several weeks. Though I was going through OCI closer to the bad old days, so it's possible that firms didn't feel rushed to make decisions.

I wouldn't expect a quick ding.
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:What is the latest update on firms who raised/did not raise?
Update? KS, AB, Morris Manning, Eversheds, and Bondurant have raised.
The full list is K&S, A&B, MMM, Eversheds, Bondurant, and DLA Piper. Jones Day and Paul Hastings are listed as "matching" in a Daily Report article, but I thought they paid above market beforehand.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”