Let's talk about Atlanta! Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: Let's talk about Atlanta!

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jun 28, 2018 8:38 pm

Did K&S update the patent comp scale?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jun 29, 2018 10:47 am

In an earlier post, comparing NYC to Atlanta, the stat is disingenuous, considering the comparison was actually comparing Atlanta to Manhattan. Comparing Buckhead to Manhattan would be a lot more honest.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jun 29, 2018 11:10 am

Anonymous User wrote:In an earlier post, comparing NYC to Atlanta, the stat is disingenuous, considering the comparison was actually comparing Atlanta to Manhattan. Comparing Buckhead to Manhattan would be a lot more honest.
Those cost of living statistics are ridiculous anyways. Maybe for housing, but food is food, clothes are clothes, etc. Those costs aren't going to change THAT much if you live in NYC or Atlanta

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jun 29, 2018 11:13 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:In an earlier post, comparing NYC to Atlanta, the stat is disingenuous, considering the comparison was actually comparing Atlanta to Manhattan. Comparing Buckhead to Manhattan would be a lot more honest.
Those cost of living statistics are ridiculous anyways. Maybe for housing, but food is food, clothes are clothes, etc. Those costs aren't going to change THAT much if you live in NYC or Atlanta
I’ve been to Atlanta and lived in NY. The cost of food/drink varies drastically. For example, chipotle costs like over a dollar more in Manhattan and drinks at Starbucks cost like 50 cents more. It’s a dollar here and there, but that adds up to a lot.

Clothes are probably priced the same everywhere though.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jun 29, 2018 12:13 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
I’ve been to Atlanta and lived in NY. The cost of food/drink varies drastically. For example, chipotle costs like over a dollar more in Manhattan and drinks at Starbucks cost like 50 cents more. It’s a dollar here and there, but that adds up to a lot.

In terms of $$. NYC and Manhattan are not particularly comparable. Ditto, Atlanta v. Buckhead.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jun 29, 2018 12:37 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

In terms of $$. NYC and Manhattan are not particularly comparable. Ditto, Atlanta v. Buckhead.

Even slightly below market, Atlanta associates should be doing fine, but I don't see why an employer should take your cost of living into account to determine salaries. (Going off that, should people without loans or with roommates be paid less? Should people with children be paid more?) The firm has lower overhead for having you in Atlanta vs NYC, but they bill you at the same rate and require the same amount of hours. Paying you less because your rent isn't as high is a windfall to the firm. So yes, 190k is a ton in Atlanta, but firms that don't use local rates but pay below market are being disingenuous.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jun 29, 2018 12:38 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Even when comparing NYC as a whole, it is significantly more expensive than cities like LA, DC, and Boston. Just because Manhattan has astronomical housing doesn’t mean the other parts of NY are cheap.

Also, Buckhead is not that expensive. I don’t get why multiple people keep pointing out Buckhead like it’s some unaffordable Mecca.

Don’t get me wrong, there’s a part of Buckhead where all the rich people live, but the cost of living is still significantly less. And if you want an apples to apples comparison you have to compare that to TriBeCa, SoHo or Greenwich Village.

Chipotle isn’t going to be that much more expensive in Buckhead than it is in Midtown just like it isn’t more expensive in the most parts of the city.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jun 30, 2018 9:39 pm

It isn’t uncommon for Buckhead homeowners to pay a whopping +30k in annual real estate taxes. Compared to 5k for a nice home in a nearby area like Marietta, Sandy Springs, etc. So yes, there is a BIG difference.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jul 01, 2018 1:37 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Did K&S update the patent comp scale?
Does K&S provide a pay bump for patent associates? Is it just those that do patent prosecution, or is it anyone who has passed the patent bar?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jul 02, 2018 2:21 pm

Any word from Kilpatrick, Troutman, Eversheds or others on matching new scale?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jul 02, 2018 5:10 pm

Want to get some opinions. Starting part time law program at GSU in the fall and my goal is biglaw.

What is my path to biglaw OCI's? I know I am competing heavily against higher ranked UGA and Emory as well as other higher ranked national schools - is there still a chance? Do I need to be top 10% to even be considered for interviews? Can I hit career services hard and network my ass off to create opportunities?

Thanks for any help here!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jul 02, 2018 11:40 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Any word from Kilpatrick, Troutman, Eversheds or others on matching new scale?
Kilpatrick has not raised yet.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jul 02, 2018 11:41 pm

Also curious about this.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jul 05, 2018 11:01 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Does K&S provide a pay bump for patent associates? Is it just those that do patent prosecution, or is it anyone who has passed the patent bar?
All patent lit and patent pros associates in big Atlanta firms have started at 160k for many years now. No patent bar required. They did not get a raise in 2016 when every firm moved from 135k to 155k. In other words, their bump went from 25k to 5k. Some suspected they’d get another bump this raise cycle, but it hasn’t happened anywhere yet afaik.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jul 05, 2018 11:08 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
All patent lit and patent pros associates in big Atlanta firms have started at 160k for many years now. No patent bar required. They did not get a raise in 2016 when every firm moved from 135k to 155k. In other words, their bump went from 25k to 5k. Some suspected they’d get another bump this raise cycle, but it hasn’t happened anywhere yet afaik.
And it’s high time to bring it back. Patent litigators at Fish, Finnegan, Paul Hastings, and Jones Day in Atlanta are starting at 190.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jul 06, 2018 8:55 am

I'm a midwesterner who is above median at a t13 school (not Duke or UVA). My parents are retiring in the Pensacola area. Are these good enough ties for Atlanta?

gregfootball2001

Silver

Post by gregfootball2001 » Fri Jul 06, 2018 9:03 am

Anonymous User wrote:I'm a midwesterner who is above median at a t13 school (not Duke or UVA). My parents are retiring in the Pensacola area. Are these good enough ties for Atlanta?
Pensacola...Florida? Maybe I'm confused, but I don't see how any of the above is a tie to Georgia.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jul 06, 2018 9:57 am

gregfootball2001 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I'm a midwesterner who is above median at a t13 school (not Duke or UVA). My parents are retiring in the Pensacola area. Are these good enough ties for Atlanta?
Pensacola...Florida? Maybe I'm confused, but I don't see how any of the above is a tie to Georgia.
Was looking for big law jobs in a major metro area by Pensacola, and I heard both Tampa Bay and Birmingham are impossible. Sounds like Atlanta won't work then either?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jul 06, 2018 10:00 am

Anonymous User wrote:
gregfootball2001 wrote:
Was looking for big law jobs in a major metro area by Pensacola, and I heard both Tampa Bay and Birmingham are impossible. Sounds like Atlanta won't work then either?
You'll be driving distance to your family -- that's a tie. I think the need for strong ties has been overstated. They are helpful, sure, but not necessary. My firm would take an above median T14 grad +Vandy over a top 30% UGA grad. You just need to avoid it coming off like Atlanta was your backup choice. If asked why Atlanta, my advice is to mention how important it is to be close to your family, then feel free to mention the Beltline or college football, then go to why you really want this particular firm. Atlanta has a nice mix of urban and parks/outdoors, is developing rapidly, and doesn't feel cramped like New York. The person interviewing you likes the city, so just say nice things about it and they are likely to agree. Avoid anything condescending that makes it sound like Mayberry or that the attorneys here don't work as hard or aren't as sophisticated as major market counterparts.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jul 08, 2018 3:53 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Want to get some opinions. Starting part time law program at GSU in the fall and my goal is biglaw.

What is my path to biglaw OCI's? I know I am competing heavily against higher ranked UGA and Emory as well as other higher ranked national schools - is there still a chance? Do I need to be top 10% to even be considered for interviews? Can I hit career services hard and network my ass off to create opportunities?

Thanks for any help here!
Graduate at the top of your class. Top 10% to get on the OCI list, but you won't land the job without top 10 stats or something else very significant. Hitting career services and networking is going to have a near negligible impact on your ability to land a job at the top firms.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jul 08, 2018 3:55 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
And it’s high time to bring it back. Patent litigators at Fish, Finnegan, Paul Hastings, and Jones Day in Atlanta are starting at 190.
There is no need to, esp. for prosecution. FIrms aren't losing talent, and prosecution work doesn't belong in GP firms anymore. If you want a job at an F-firm outpost in ATL then go get one - not going to be compelling to the firms that are parting ways with their IP bump in Atlanta.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jul 19, 2018 12:12 am

I have a question regarding OCI and if is worth applying to some firms directly if I did not get an OCI screener.

I am top 20% at Emory (with an even higher second semester GPA). Very deep Atl connections - think one of the West Paces schools and long family ties to the city. My goal is A&B, Troutman, or K&S and I've spoken with attorneys from each to learn about the firms. I was preselected by all three among others. I am not worried about any "why Atlanta" or "why firm" questions - I have solid and honest answers. I really hope these interviews work out, but I understand how much of a crapshoot it is when everyone is applying for 20-25 spots at each of these firms.

However, I really want to work in Atlanta after I graduate and was not selected by a few firms I am also interested in. MMM, Kilpatrick, Eversheds in particular. Is it worth it to apply directly to these firms now, even though they did not select me for an OCI screener? What is the best way to approach this? I want to do everything I can to end up in Atlanta after school.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jul 19, 2018 1:12 am

Anonymous User wrote:I have a question regarding OCI and if is worth applying to some firms directly if I did not get an OCI screener.

I am top 20% at Emory (with an even higher second semester GPA). Very deep Atl connections - think one of the West Paces schools and long family ties to the city. My goal is A&B, Troutman, or K&S and I've spoken with attorneys from each to learn about the firms. I was preselected by all three among others. I am not worried about any "why Atlanta" or "why firm" questions - I have solid and honest answers. I really hope these interviews work out, but I understand how much of a crapshoot it is when everyone is applying for 20-25 spots at each of these firms.

However, I really want to work in Atlanta after I graduate and was not selected by a few firms I am also interested in. MMM, Kilpatrick, Eversheds in particular. Is it worth it to apply directly to these firms now, even though they did not select me for an OCI screener? YES. What is the best way to approach this? I want to do everything I can to end up in Atlanta after school.
You should be in very good shape since ATL hires a lot from Emory, GA and GState (Mercer somewhat).

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jul 19, 2018 3:45 am

Wow, so happy to see a thread that I started when I was a rising 2L getting ready to go through OCI is still going strong. I'm now a 5th year associate working for a large firm in ATL. To commemorate this occasion, I went back and updated my original post. It's probably incoherent, because I wrote it up at 4:30. But I'm happy to try to answer any questions folks might have.
Anonymous User wrote:I have a question regarding OCI and if is worth applying to some firms directly if I did not get an OCI screener.

However, I really want to work in Atlanta after I graduate and was not selected by a few firms I am also interested in. MMM, Kilpatrick, Eversheds in particular. Is it worth it to apply directly to these firms now, even though they did not select me for an OCI screener? What is the best way to approach this? I want to do everything I can to end up in Atlanta after school.
The firms you listed basically don't hire SAs outside of OCI.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jul 19, 2018 8:57 am

Anonymous User wrote:Wow, so happy to see a thread that I started when I was a rising 2L getting ready to go through OCI is still going strong. I'm now a 5th year associate working for a large firm in ATL. To commemorate this occasion, I went back and updated my original post. It's probably incoherent, because I wrote it up at 4:30. But I'm happy to try to answer any questions folks might have.

The firms you listed basically don't hire SAs outside of OCI.
Thanks for the update. I am interested in products liability/mass tort and just saw what you updated about that group at K&S. Could you share some more details about what you heard?

Thanks

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”