Top Plaintiffs' Firms? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
anon333

New

Re: Top Plaintiffs' Firms?

Post by anon333 » Mon Mar 03, 2014 5:36 pm

Is it just me, or do an inordinate number of plaintiffs firms have offices in San Diego? Is there something about San Diego that makes it plaintiffs-oriented, or is it just because many people consider it a great place to live and work?

beach_terror

Platinum

Post by beach_terror » Mon Mar 03, 2014 7:01 pm

California's consumer protection laws are plaintiff friendly.

bdubs

Gold

Post by bdubs » Mon Mar 03, 2014 7:17 pm

anon333 wrote:Is it just me, or do an inordinate number of plaintiffs firms have offices in San Diego? Is there something about San Diego that makes it plaintiffs-oriented, or is it just because many people consider it a great place to live and work?
One reason may be that SD had shipyards that generated a lot of asbestos claims.

oblitigate

New

Post by oblitigate » Mon Mar 03, 2014 7:31 pm

anon333 wrote:Is it just me, or do an inordinate number of plaintiffs firms have offices in San Diego? Is there something about San Diego that makes it plaintiffs-oriented, or is it just because many people consider it a great place to live and work?
That's the same with Dallas & H-town, and where a huge chunk of the top plaintiff firms are founded/hq'ed

anon333

New

Post by anon333 » Mon Mar 03, 2014 7:46 pm

beach_terror wrote:California's consumer protection laws are plaintiff friendly.
This makes sense. Are you including securities/corporate governance/employment laws? I'm guessing these are more plaintiff friendly in California as well.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Mar 03, 2014 8:00 pm

Anyone know if there are good plaintiffs firms in the Ann Arbor/Detroit/Toledo area?

beach_terror

Platinum

Post by beach_terror » Mon Mar 03, 2014 8:17 pm

anon333 wrote:
beach_terror wrote:California's consumer protection laws are plaintiff friendly.
This makes sense. Are you including securities/corporate governance/employment laws? I'm guessing these are more plaintiff friendly in California as well.
I'm not involved in a lot of our securities cases, but the majority of securities claims and mismanagement claims are under 10b5 and 14/15, and I don't think those standards vary much based on the state you file in. Employment claims maybe - I don't do those though so I can't really comment.

anon168

Silver

Post by anon168 » Tue Mar 04, 2014 8:03 pm

I didn't realize there was an inordinate number of plaintiff's firms in SD, but assuming that's the case, it most likely is the fact that SD is one of the nicest places to live in the continental U.S. (It's why Lerach originally decided to open up a west coast office for the old Milberg firm.)

When I think about it, I think there's actually an inordinate number of plaintiff's shops in NYC (even accounting for the geographical/political location).

Also, not sure that local laws/jurisdictions have much impact on where plaintiff's firms set up shop or locate/expand to. Most plaintiffs firms that do securities work have a national practice because just about all the cases are litigated either under the Securities Act or the Exchange Act, or get removed to federal court. And aside from the rare MTD or MSJ hearing, any court "appearances" can be done telephonically. (As to consumer laws in CA, not sure it's any more/less friendly than other major jurisdictions like NY, Ill, FL, TX, etc. At least one cannot make sweeping generalizations about all consumer laws to that effect.)

InSport

New

Post by InSport » Thu Mar 13, 2014 2:16 pm

Does anybody have advice for applying to the bigger plaintiffs' firms (i.e., the ones listed throughout this thread)? I'm a 3L at a top 10 school (by US News standards), and I've only had luck getting interviews with a couple of those firms, all of which were through on-campus recruiting sessions. When I've applied to other plaintiffs' firms that either accept applications generally or have a specific job posted for 3Ls, I haven't received one response.

I wonder if there is a more proactive method for getting interviews, such as requesting informational interviews from partners (particularly partners that graduated from the same law school). Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

anon333

New

Post by anon333 » Thu Mar 13, 2014 3:18 pm

InSport wrote:Does anybody have advice for applying to the bigger plaintiffs' firms (i.e., the ones listed throughout this thread)? I'm a 3L at a top 10 school (by US News standards), and I've only had luck getting interviews with a couple of those firms, all of which were through on-campus recruiting sessions. When I've applied to other plaintiffs' firms that either accept applications generally or have a specific job posted for 3Ls, I haven't received one response.

I wonder if there is a more proactive method for getting interviews, such as requesting informational interviews from partners (particularly partners that graduated from the same law school). Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
I'm basically speaking out of my ass, but if I were you, I would cold email partners, say you understand they don't do OCI, but that you know in your heart of hearts you want to do plaintiffs work because deep down you know you are a plaintiffs lawyer, and would they please grant you an interview, or at least meet for coffee to discuss how you can position yourself to eventually join their firm.

beach_terror

Platinum

Post by beach_terror » Thu Mar 13, 2014 4:06 pm

The above is basically what I did. Target alumni, meet with them, and include them in cover letters you send out in the future (I.e I met with the MP of Hagens). I think that was a big factor in getting my interview and job. It's a small community.

dresden doll

Platinum

Post by dresden doll » Thu Mar 13, 2014 4:35 pm

This is my theory as well.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Mar 15, 2014 1:32 pm

Anyone have any idea on what its like for a young associate at a top personal injury firm in a big city? I know that there are many unsuccessful PI attorneys, however, there seem to be a handful of firms in each city that appear to be doing extremely well. Any idea how the pay would be for an associate at one of these shops?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

anon168

Silver

Post by anon168 » Mon Mar 17, 2014 6:45 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Anyone have any idea on what its like for a young associate at a top personal injury firm in a big city? I know that there are many unsuccessful PI attorneys, however, there seem to be a handful of firms in each city that appear to be doing extremely well. Any idea how the pay would be for an associate at one of these shops?
This is almost an impossible question to answer. PI firms (and when I say that I mean true PI firms that do nothing but personal injury and not as a side hobby of sorts when a client just happens to walk in the door having spilled coffee on herself) vary so much from locale to locale, as well as year to year, any sort of answer based on your query (i.e., "young associate" "top personal injury firm" and "big city") is nearly impossible.

Generally, any true PI firm will have more dramatic pay swings year-to-year just based on the nature of their practice. And depending on what type of personal injury, and what jurisdiction, the pay can vary from the low 40ks to the high 70ks as a base salary. I mean, for example, if your "top personal injury firm" does a boatload of med-mal cases in a jurisdiction where there is a cap on med-mal pain and suffering damages (i.e., MICRA in CA) then your salary has an inherent ceiling. But if the firm in question does a lot of product defect cases, then who knows.

I know that isn't an answer that provides much traction to your question, but without more info, it's impossible to say with an reasonable guessitmate what you're looking at.

sometimesIwonder

New

Post by sometimesIwonder » Tue Mar 18, 2014 12:51 am

Just so everyone knows...there's no such thing as a "top" plaintiff's firm in the employment law context. Plaintiff's attorney's are generally extortionists at best.

TTRansfer

Gold

Post by TTRansfer » Tue Mar 18, 2014 12:54 am

Just about all of the "legal hell hole" states have very profitable plaintiffs firms. Event he smaller ones and solo shops. Some of those states are so laughably plaintiff friendly it's not even funny.

sometimesIwonder

New

Post by sometimesIwonder » Tue Mar 18, 2014 12:55 am

TTRansfer wrote:Just about all of the "legal hell hole" states have very profitable plaintiffs firms. Event he smaller ones and solo shops. Some of those states are so laughably plaintiff friendly it's not even funny.
Plaintiff friendly state = more jobs for defense guys like me.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

TTRansfer

Gold

Post by TTRansfer » Tue Mar 18, 2014 12:57 am

sometimesIwonder wrote:
TTRansfer wrote:Just about all of the "legal hell hole" states have very profitable plaintiffs firms. Event he smaller ones and solo shops. Some of those states are so laughably plaintiff friendly it's not even funny.
More for everyone. I'll be in one of the worst legal hell holes in the country and there is defense work out the ass.

sometimesIwonder

New

Post by sometimesIwonder » Tue Mar 18, 2014 12:59 am

TTRansfer wrote:
sometimesIwonder wrote:
More for everyone. I'll be in one of the worst legal hell holes in the country and there is defense work out the ass.
Where's that? New Jersey or California?

beach_terror

Platinum

Post by beach_terror » Tue Mar 18, 2014 8:18 am

sometimesIwonder wrote:Just so everyone knows...there's no such thing as a "top" plaintiff's firm in the employment law context. Plaintiff's attorney's are generally extortionists at best.
lolok

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Mar 29, 2014 2:08 am

-
Last edited by Anonymous User on Tue Apr 01, 2014 3:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

oblitigate

New

Post by oblitigate » Sat Mar 29, 2014 2:26 am

sometimesIwonder wrote:Just so everyone knows...there's no such thing as a "top" plaintiff's firm in the employment law context. Plaintiff's attorney's are generally extortionists at best.
Oh awesome what are defense attorneys billing by the hour

Nate

New

Post by Nate » Mon Apr 14, 2014 5:05 pm

anon168 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Anyone have any idea on what its like for a young associate at a top personal injury firm in a big city? I know that there are many unsuccessful PI attorneys, however, there seem to be a handful of firms in each city that appear to be doing extremely well. Any idea how the pay would be for an associate at one of these shops?
This is almost an impossible question to answer. PI firms (and when I say that I mean true PI firms that do nothing but personal injury and not as a side hobby of sorts when a client just happens to walk in the door having spilled coffee on herself) vary so much from locale to locale, as well as year to year, any sort of answer based on your query (i.e., "young associate" "top personal injury firm" and "big city") is nearly impossible.

Generally, any true PI firm will have more dramatic pay swings year-to-year just based on the nature of their practice. And depending on what type of personal injury, and what jurisdiction, the pay can vary from the low 40ks to the high 70ks as a base salary. I mean, for example, if your "top personal injury firm" does a boatload of med-mal cases in a jurisdiction where there is a cap on med-mal pain and suffering damages (i.e., MICRA in CA) then your salary has an inherent ceiling. But if the firm in question does a lot of product defect cases, then who knows.

I know that isn't an answer that provides much traction to your question, but without more info, it's impossible to say with an reasonable guessitmate what you're looking at.
anon168, I sent you a PM. Have an interview next week at one of the big firms you've discussed previously.

reasonable_man

Gold

Post by reasonable_man » Wed Apr 16, 2014 12:25 am

Top plaintiff PI firms (true personal Injury) not securities class action firms, etc. are going to pay at a rate similar to a very good defense firm. Starting salary probably around 60k to 75k...

rad lulz

Platinum

Post by rad lulz » Wed Apr 16, 2014 12:26 am

Morgan and Morgan

For the People

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”