How much do you take the associate billables reqs into acct Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

How much do you take the associate billables reqs into acct

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 08, 2010 12:16 am

Interviewed with 3 firms today, 2 of which had an 1900 hour expectation, the other one having a 1750-hour expectation. Compensation was a little lower, but this sounds pretty sweet. Does anyone else take these into account, or is it wise to assume that everyone will be gunning for 2000+ hours trying to make partner anyhow?

radek

New

Re: How much do you take the associate billables reqs into acct

Post by radek » Wed Sep 08, 2010 12:40 am

Despite lower billable hour requirements, pretty much all firms expect the same quality of work and the same amount of work.
Last edited by radek on Wed Sep 08, 2010 12:59 am, edited 2 times in total.

Aqualibrium

Gold

Post by Aqualibrium » Wed Sep 08, 2010 12:43 am

It is wrong to out people like this. Ass.

radek

New

Post by radek » Wed Sep 08, 2010 12:43 am

Last edited by radek on Wed Sep 08, 2010 1:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

Aqualibrium

Gold

Post by Aqualibrium » Wed Sep 08, 2010 12:47 am

Not really, I didn't know he was at UCLA...technically I still dont, so I suppose he hasn't been outed at all.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

radek

New

Post by radek » Wed Sep 08, 2010 12:50 am

Last edited by radek on Wed Sep 08, 2010 12:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

Diamond

Post by 20160810 » Wed Sep 08, 2010 12:53 am

I have verified that OP does not attend UCLA. In the future, let's keep the smug (if incorrect) prognosticating to a minimum and focus on keeping threads on-topic. Thanks in advance.

DoubleChecks

Gold

Post by DoubleChecks » Wed Sep 08, 2010 12:54 am

radek wrote:
Aqualibrium wrote:Not really, I didn't know he was at UCLA...technically I still dont.
Let's look at the facts:

1) OP said he/she did the interviews (3 of them) today so they must have been screening interviews, not CBs unless OP was on some crazy bizarre CB schedule

2) I don't know of any major job fairs going on today

3) So the interviews were most likely done on campus

4) There are less than 5 NALP firms with billable reqs of 1750.

5) Most firms list their interview schedules online. Look at who did interviews today, and it's not hard to figure out which firm AND which campus the OP interviewed with and on respectively.
i dont think the point was whether it was 'easy' or not to out him...but the fact that you did, thats what the other person had issues with

Aqualibrium

Gold

Post by Aqualibrium » Wed Sep 08, 2010 12:54 am

radek wrote:
Aqualibrium wrote:Not really, I didn't know he was at UCLA...technically I still dont.
Let's look at the facts:

1) OP said he/she did the interviews (3 of them) today so they must have been screening interviews, not CBs unless OP was on some crazy bizarre CB schedule

2) I don't know of any major job fairs going on today

3) So the interviews were most likely done on campus

4) There are less than 5 NALP firms with billable reqs of 1750.

5) Most firms list their interview schedules online. Look at who did interviews today, and it's not hard to figure out which firm AND which campus the OP interviewed with and on respectively.
1) Not all firms have their info on NALP. Go look at Louisiana for example, you telling me there are only 9 firms in the state? I can name 10 firms across the Southeast with billables of 1750 or less.

2) No one in their right mind would do all that crap you suggest in # 5.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Adjudicator

Silver

Post by Adjudicator » Wed Sep 08, 2010 12:57 am

Wow, the wheels came off this thread right from the beginning. Too bad, I think it's an interesting question.

Aqualibrium

Gold

Post by Aqualibrium » Wed Sep 08, 2010 1:02 am

Adjudicator wrote:Wow, the wheels came off this thread right from the beginning. Too bad, I think it's an interesting question.
To answer OP's question:

I never really take it into account. I have, in cases where there is a disparity in the pay, computed an approximate hourly rate to see how the two ( a firm with a higher base salary but higher billable req v. a firm with lower salary lower req) compare. In the end though, what matters most to me is fit and location.

One thing you'll notice though is that when you do compute an approximate hourly pay, the salary comes out about even. That probably weighs in favor of the firm with the lower billable req. because you get a bonus for anything past 1750.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 08, 2010 1:46 am

Aqualibrium wrote:
Adjudicator wrote:Wow, the wheels came off this thread right from the beginning. Too bad, I think it's an interesting question.
To answer OP's question:

I never really take it into account. I have, in cases where there is a disparity in the pay, computed an approximate hourly rate to see how the two ( a firm with a higher base salary but higher billable req v. a firm with lower salary lower req) compare. In the end though, what matters most to me is fit and location.

One thing you'll notice though is that when you do compute an approximate hourly pay, the salary comes out about even. That probably weighs in favor of the firm with the lower billable req. because you get a bonus for anything past 1750.
Yeah, I tried to run the numbers, but it was pretty skewed. The 1900-hour firms were in a major market, so they paid a LOT more than the 1750-hour one, which is in a tertiary market. However, when one factors in COL, the 1750-hour one is still almost surely the better bet fiscally, bonus notwithstanding.

My primary concern is that the 1750 number was fluff, and that to be realistically considered for partner I'll need to put in 1900+ anyhow. I asked, though, and the partners I interviewed with were EMPHATIC that this is not the case, and that it really is 1750, so who knows. I'd love to take them on their word about this, because that's a huge selling point with the firm for me.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”