"Are you interviewing at other firms?" Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

"Are you interviewing at other firms?"

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 07, 2010 6:28 pm

I have been asked this question once or twice during an actual interview, but today I was asked when I called to schedule a CB at a big firm. I was surprised by the question, and truthfully answered that I had CBs at 5 other firms. They even asked me to name the other firms.

1. Why would they ask me this question?
2. What would be the appropriate response?
3. How do you think this information will affect my prospects?

This firm is large enough that I find it hard to believe that they would think I would be interviewing with only one or two firms, so I'm not sure why they would need this info...

Anonymous User

Re: "Are you interviewing at other firms?"

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 07, 2010 6:34 pm

I've always leaned towards telling the truth, not in the least because I assume that people at these firms know eachother, and I wouldn't want to be caught in a lie. It's fine to briefly mention the others firms you have CBs from - if anything, it makes you look like an attractive candidate who rightfully deserve(d) a callback from the firm you're interviewing with. They might be asking this to gauge whether they were right in calling you back in the first place. You don't need to go into specifics, aside from the firms' names - and, in fact, you can transition into "Why you like X firm over A, B, C, D, and E firms because of their unique blah blah program," or ask a similar question to that effect.

MrAnon

Gold

Post by MrAnon » Tue Sep 07, 2010 6:39 pm

1. they want to gauge whether they made any mistake in calling you back. did you get called back by am AMLAW 20,000 firm? Or did you get called back by S&C? They just want any type of information they can get. Plus what else are they going to talk to you about?

2. be honest with them

3. people want what they cannot have. They'd rather have someone with lots of callbacks that a desperate person with none.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 07, 2010 6:44 pm

I tell them I am, but I don't say the firms (unless they ask explicitly).

Pablo Ramirez

Bronze

Post by Pablo Ramirez » Tue Sep 07, 2010 6:49 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I tell them I am, but I don't say the firms (unless they ask explicitly).
I usually can tell the question their about to ask before they actually finish asking it. So I just stare into their eyes and utter "Wachtell" by the time they get to " . . . interv . . ."

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 07, 2010 6:57 pm

Did you stop to think that they might have meant which other firms you are visiting during that trip so that they can share the costs? I was asked at most places I set up a callback with if I would be scheduling other firms on the same trip. It was simply logistical.

I have been asked at a CB by a hiring partner what other firms was I looking at, and we had a brief conversation about them.

I wouldn't read too much into it.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 07, 2010 7:01 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Did you stop to think that they might have meant which other firms you are visiting during that trip so that they can share the costs? I was asked at most places I set up a callback with if I would be scheduling other firms on the same trip. It was simply logistical.

I have been asked at a CB by a hiring partner what other firms was I looking at, and we had a brief conversation about them.

Sorry if that sounded snarky.. didn't mean for it to

Diamond

Post by 20160810 » Tue Sep 07, 2010 7:04 pm

I had this question in an answer today and gave an honest answer. It's good for them to know you have a few irons in the fire, and furthermore, they would expect that you do. The important thing I think is to let them know (if it's true) that you're also interviewing at other firms in their market. If you're interviewing with 10 NYC firms and 1 firm in Phoenix, they might be somewhat concerned and conclude that you don't really want to be in that market.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 07, 2010 7:06 pm

I've answered honestly every time (which was an even split between NYC and Houston).

Usually, they'll only press further about what other firms in the specific market.

For someone like myself, who is interested entirely in litigation, it helped show my interest when the four firms I rattled off in their market were lit boutiques.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 07, 2010 7:07 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Did you stop to think that they might have meant which other firms you are visiting during that trip so that they can share the costs? I was asked at most places I set up a callback with if I would be scheduling other firms on the same trip. It was simply logistical.
Sharing costs would make sense, but I am local. And the wanting-what-you-can't-have rationale doesn't exactly apply b/c in this market this firm could have pretty much anyone they want for the most part (<--slight exagerration).

I am always honest with these people and try the whole, "I'm interviewing with X, Y, and Z, but you're my fave" thing, but to be honest I find the question a little distasteful. I mean, I would be uncouth for me to ask them who else they're interviewing, right? It's like "seeing" a girl. You each know that the other is playing the field, but that doesn't mean you give details.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Tue Sep 07, 2010 7:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 07, 2010 7:08 pm

SBL wrote:I had this question in an answer today and gave an honest answer. It's good for them to know you have a few irons in the fire, and furthermore, they would expect that you do. The important thing I think is to let them know (if it's true) that you're also interviewing at other firms in their market. If you're interviewing with 10 NYC firms and 1 firm in Phoenix, they might be somewhat concerned and conclude that you don't really want to be in that market.

Now THIS makes sense...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 07, 2010 7:09 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Sharing costs would make sense, but I am local. An the wanting-what-you-can't-have rationale doesn't exactly apply b/c in this market this firm could have pretty much anyone they want for the most part (<--slight exagerration).

I am always honest with these people and try the whole, "I'm interviewing with X, Y, and Z, but you're my fave" thing, but to be honest I find the question a little distasteful. I mean, I would be uncouth for me to ask them who else they're interviewing, right? It's like "seeing" a girl. You each know that the other is playing the field, but that doesn't mean you give details.
You have no power. They do. So while it may be uncouth for you to ask, it's not for them.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 07, 2010 7:10 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
You have no power. They do. So while it may be uncouth for you to ask, it's not for them.
I get that, too, but it is still a little off-putting, just on principle.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 07, 2010 7:59 pm

And if you don't yet have other callbacks? (Either generally or in that city?) Is there a way to answer the question without hurting your chances for an offer?

Pablo Ramirez

Bronze

Post by Pablo Ramirez » Tue Sep 07, 2010 8:03 pm

Anonymous User wrote:And if you don't yet have other callbacks? (Either generally or in that city?) Is there a way to answer the question without hurting your chances for an offer?
Tell 'em you didn't schedule any other callbacks because they are your top firm and, while you sure enjoy pasties, you're not the kind of person that believes in "safeties."

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 07, 2010 8:07 pm

They aren't asking to split my subway cost.

ruski

Bronze

Post by ruski » Tue Sep 07, 2010 9:07 pm

i dont think it has anything to do with whether they are trying to confirm if they should have given u a callback. hr people see ur resume, grades, personality review from interviews. they are professionals. they know if they want u or not.

i had this done to me (interviewer asked me to list my cb's and offers and asked which date i had received the offers). from what he made it sound like, they do this more to see if you would likely accept/reject if they would give u an offer and if they should be rushing your application through the review process. i think they also do this to see if u are their safety or not or if youre really interested in their firm. like if ur interviewing at gibson dunn and tell the guy u have cb's at cravath, skadden, and wachtell, its pretty obvious they are your backup. i think its a good idea to list a lot of peer firms that are similar to the one ur interviewing at.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 07, 2010 9:24 pm

ruski wrote:i dont think it has anything to do with whether they are trying to confirm if they should have given u a callback. hr people see ur resume, grades, personality review from interviews. they are professionals. they know if they want u or not.

i had this done to me (interviewer asked me to list my cb's and offers and asked which date i had received the offers). from what he made it sound like, they do this more to see if you would likely accept/reject if they would give u an offer and if they should be rushing your application through the review process. i think they also do this to see if u are their safety or not or if youre really interested in their firm. like if ur interviewing at gibson dunn and tell the guy u have cb's at cravath, skadden, and wachtell, its pretty obvious they are your backup. i think its a good idea to list a lot of peer firms that are similar to the one ur interviewing at.
I think this is pretty close to the truth, which makes me think that some tact is required in a reply. They aren't asking for no reason, and they definitely aren't so insecure of their evaluation of you to ask just to make sure that you're really worthy of their attention.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 07, 2010 11:20 pm

Ropes asked me where else I had callbacks and I mentioned wachtell, cravath, Sullcrom etc. and the gut went on to bash those firms and then question what I really wanted in a career. The interview was a disaster but I ended up with a cb anyway. Moral, I think, is that you should list peer firms but it probably won't affect you that much.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 07, 2010 11:45 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Ropes asked me where else I had callbacks and I mentioned wachtell, cravath, Sullcrom etc. and the gut went on to bash those firms and then question what I really wanted in a career. The interview was a disaster but I ended up with a cb anyway. Moral, I think, is that you should list peer firms but it probably won't affect you that much.
You had callbacks at all those firms before landing your Ropes callback? Or were these screening interviews? Or did you mean you ended up with an offer from Ropes?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 07, 2010 11:46 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Ropes asked me where else I had callbacks and I mentioned wachtell, cravath, Sullcrom etc. and the gut went on to bash those firms and then question what I really wanted in a career. The interview was a disaster but I ended up with a cb anyway. Moral, I think, is that you should list peer firms but it probably won't affect you that much.
You had callbacks at all those firms before landing your Ropes callback? Or were these screening interviews? Or did you mean you ended up with an offer from Ropes?
all screeners. i didn't take the ropes cb

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 07, 2010 11:48 pm

What a shitty and unprofessional reaction from the guy. Why not just say something like "Obviously those are top-tier firms, but here's why I think we're potentially a better choice..."

JPeavy44

New

Post by JPeavy44 » Tue Sep 07, 2010 11:48 pm

Pablo Ramirez wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I tell them I am, but I don't say the firms (unless they ask explicitly).
I usually can tell the question their about to ask before they actually finish asking it. So I just stare into their eyes and utter "Wachtell" by the time they get to " . . . interv . . ."
Hahaha awesome

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”