Offer contingent upon background check Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: Offer contingent upon background check

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 24, 2012 4:34 pm

Bronx Bum wrote:Can anyone help with this one?:

1. Armed robbery conviction (Felony), did minimal jail sentence at age 21.
2. Arrest for felonious assault on police officer at age 25, dropped down to misdemeanor.
3. Multiple violations throughout life.
4. Felony tax fraud investigation at age 27 (pending).
you're .... joking, right?

isayixnayhearsay

New

Post by isayixnayhearsay » Fri Aug 24, 2012 5:00 pm

You gotta disclose to your employer, brah (and right from the beginning). When you apply to the bar, they look to see whether you disclosed to your employer from the beginning and will hold it against you if you didn't.

See this case for an example:

--LinkRemoved--

relevant part at page 14

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Aug 25, 2012 3:31 pm

What about a mildly shitty employment history? I've been fired from a few shitty jobs (one within the last ten years), not for anything dishonest or immoral, but just for being lazy and irresponsible. Do firms even care about stuff like that? I know most bar examiners pull your law school applications. Do they do the same for your employment applications?

Haha, we really need a "Major Market C&F Analyst Taking Questions" thread.

existenz

Silver

Post by existenz » Sat Aug 25, 2012 6:02 pm

Anonymous User wrote:What about a mildly shitty employment history? I've been fired from a few shitty jobs (one within the last ten years), not for anything dishonest or immoral, but just for being lazy and irresponsible. Do firms even care about stuff like that? I know most bar examiners pull your law school applications. Do they do the same for your employment applications?

Haha, we really need a "Major Market C&F Analyst Taking Questions" thread.
Firms don't give a shit. The bar also won't care as long as there was no fraud or dishonesty involved.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Aug 25, 2012 10:31 pm

Lowest level misdemeanor charge for crim property damage > no contest plea > paid restitution > case dismissed. Thoughts on impact on multiple v15 offers? Should I contact recruiting, hr, hiring committee?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

dingbat

Gold

Post by dingbat » Sat Aug 25, 2012 10:40 pm

Bronx Bum wrote:Can anyone help with this one?:

1. Armed robbery conviction (Felony), did minimal jail sentence at age 21.
2. Arrest for felonious assault on police officer at age 25, dropped down to misdemeanor.
3. Multiple violations throughout life.
4. Felony tax fraud investigation at age 27 (pending).
I know you're joking, but, auto-ding.

I was on the other end for several years (we hired several V10 & V30 firms over the years) and if we found out that they put an associate with that kind of record on a matter of ours, we would drop the firm.
No one is going to hire an associate that can lose them clients

existenz

Silver

Post by existenz » Mon Aug 27, 2012 3:58 am

Anonymous User wrote:Lowest level misdemeanor charge for crim property damage > no contest plea > paid restitution > case dismissed. Thoughts on impact on multiple v15 offers? Should I contact recruiting, hr, hiring committee?
Talk to career services pronto.

Would need to know exactly what the circumstances were to say how it will affect any of your offers. If it was some teenage bullshit then you might lose an offer or two but you should be fine. If you took a bat to your ex's car last year that's a different story.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Aug 27, 2012 6:54 am

Are cases that are now sealed after adjudication withheld 'convictions'?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 29, 2012 5:55 pm

What do you all think about a misdemeanor trespass conviction from 5 years ago when I was 18? The original charges were for two felonies and two misdemeanors. One felony was reduced to the trespass, the other expunged along with one of the misdemeanors. The final misdemeanor was dismissed, but not expunged. (all the same incident/involved drinking).

Thanks

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 29, 2012 9:29 pm

bump

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Mar 27, 2013 8:57 pm

Anybody get a sense when we can be sure nothing would come of this? If nothing has come up by this point are we free to assume nothing will?

And yes I know its silly to bump almost a year old thread, but I just found something out that might be a problem for me.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 10, 2018 10:19 am

Hi all- I know this is an old thread, but had a quick question. I got an offer with a BigLaw firm as a lateral attorney contingent on a background check. I was let go of by my small boutique firm a few years ago for not passing the Bar exam the first time- would they call my previous employers to ask about my performance or merely that I worked at said firm for X years? Any insight would be helpful. Thanks!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jul 20, 2018 10:46 am

Bump

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

albanach

Gold

Post by albanach » Fri Jul 20, 2018 11:32 am

Anonymous User wrote:Hi all- I know this is an old thread, but had a quick question. I got an offer with a BigLaw firm as a lateral attorney contingent on a background check. I was let go of by my small boutique firm a few years ago for not passing the Bar exam the first time- would they call my previous employers to ask about my performance or merely that I worked at said firm for X years? Any insight would be helpful. Thanks!
Most large employers are going to at least check your references. If you have references from a few prior legal jobs, a new employer is unlikely to go that far back - it doesn't add value. Even if they did, so long as your more recent references are strong, it's probably not a problem unless you think they're going to raise red flags about your work product/character.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”