Hypo: Callback with your ultimate, #1 choice firm! Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Hypo: Callback with your ultimate, #1 choice firm!

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 19, 2010 4:57 pm

I was lucky enough to wrangle a CB with my ultimatenumber1topchoice firm. Needless to say, I'm psyched about it. Thinking forward, and based upon what I've learned about the CB in general, I obviously want to be enthusiastic about the position and my fit within the firm. Thus, I'm wondering, what is the appropriate etiquette for expressing such interest in the firm/position? Aside from something like, "Hey dood i luv ur firm gimme job plz," what might a candidate say, without sounding too desperate and/or lame, to show the interviewing partner that his/her firm is the candidate's top choice? Would saying something to the effect of, "When I decided to go to law school, I envisioned working at a firm like ____ because ::elaborates upon reasons::. Moreover, throughout my job search, ____ has been my top choice because ::elaborates upon reasons::."

Thoughts?

Anonymous User

Re: Hypo: Callback with your ultimate, #1 choice firm!

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 19, 2010 9:31 pm

Anything?

rcb5142

New

Post by rcb5142 » Thu Aug 19, 2010 9:40 pm

This is kind of a pathetic thread you have here. Do you really need advice on this? If they are your #1 dream firm, then just tell them that they are your top choice and then give them a number of reasons why. Just be genuine, and don't be vague with your reasons. I'm sure you'll do great. Interviewers tend to respond well to enthusiasm. Take a few deep breaths and RELAX, then start preparing for your CB.

Bosque

Gold

Post by Bosque » Thu Aug 19, 2010 9:45 pm

Wow, you waited an astounding 4.5 hours to bump your thread during the begining of class, when everyone is busy with OCI or with orientation. Your patience knows no bounds! :P

Seriously, give it time. Takes a while to get responses around this time of year. For my part, I would just be conservatively earnest. If asked, tell them honestly why the firm is your top choice, but don't start to gesture wildly and get a crazed look of hunger in you eye.

And I wouldn't use your line. Sounds faked and corny. Just know the firm backwards and forwards and speak off the cuff. If you are really interested in the firm, spontaneous remarks will always be more convincing than a rehearsed statement.

Adjudicator

Silver

Post by Adjudicator » Thu Aug 19, 2010 10:12 pm

If you got this far, I'm sure you can figure out how to handle this, too.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 19, 2010 10:29 pm

being honest with them that they are your number one choice doesn't necessarily mean that you will come across as desperate

just say something like:
"i have interviewed and had callbacks with several very strong firms, but [firm name] is my number one choice because [list reasons: it's in the market i want to be in, it has the practices areas i'm interested in, some comment about the culture of the firm, etc.]. i would be honored to spend next summer at your firm"

instead of:
"you have been my dream firm all throughout oci, i would do anything to get an offer from you guys. i don't know what i'll do if you don't give me an offer. i don't like any of the other firms but i seriously love you guys. please please please give me an offer."

edcrane

Bronze

Post by edcrane » Thu Aug 19, 2010 10:47 pm

I wouldn't over do it. The truth is that if this is really a firm you like, it will come across in the way you express yourself and ask questions. That will likely be worth more than even an artfully phrased expression of love for the firm, which could potentially come across as naive.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”