Just above 50% at UT. OCI chances? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
sawyer09

New

Just above 50% at UT. OCI chances?

Post by sawyer09 » Thu Jul 08, 2010 11:42 am

I have a 3.4 and am above the median (3.3). Any insight into my chances at OCI and what type of firms I should be looking at? Thanks for the help

taxguy

Bronze

Re: Just above 50% at UT. OCI chances?

Post by taxguy » Thu Jul 08, 2010 11:44 am

No one here can give you any insights. I do know that there was a poster who went to Cornell and was in the middle of his class. He still can't find a job. You will see his post in the law job forum where he want to just "give up."

nealric

Post by nealric » Thu Jul 08, 2010 11:50 am

taxguy wrote:No one here can give you any insights. I do know that there was a poster who went to Cornell and was in the middle of his class. He still can't find a job. You will see his post in the law job forum where he want to just "give up."
But I thought you sat next to a biglaw associate on an airplane. Doesn't that mean you are the resident biglaw expert?

To the OP:
Don't count on OCI to get you anywhere in ITE. Might as well try, but it probably won't happen. Bid midlaw and more regional firms to the extent they are available for you.

Because OCI probably won't be happening, start a multi-pronged search now among smaller firms, the government, and public interest organizations. If you haven't already, start thinking about how you are going to start developing a specialty. Choose one. Seize any reasonable opportunity to talk to practitioners in the field. Contact alumni in the field just to talk about their practice and how they got to where they are. This isn't about asking for a job, but building relationships that will serve you down the line. A targeted mailing won't hurt either. Do that now, while it's summer.

You probably won't end up like the Cornell person if you do the above. Good luck!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jul 08, 2010 12:09 pm

If top half is unlikely to yield results, what class rank usually gets jobs through OCI at a school similarly ranked to UT?

nealric

Post by nealric » Thu Jul 08, 2010 12:25 pm

what class rank usually gets jobs through OCI at a school similarly ranked to UT?
Boom time it was top 40% (top 50% had a shot)
Now more like top 20% (top 1/3 has a shot)

(assuming this year is not significantly better than last year)

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

taxguy

Bronze

Post by taxguy » Thu Jul 08, 2010 1:01 pm

nealric said,"But I thought you sat next to a biglaw associate on an airplane. Doesn't that mean you are the resident biglaw expert? "

Response: If you are going to be a lawyer at least quote people correctly and use the right wording. Yes, I did sit next to someone who worked at Big Law plus I do know many people who work and have worked at Big Law BUT I NEVER said that I was an expert. Again, you are ascribing words that were never said.

However, you will make a good lawyer, of that I am sure. There is an old saying among lawyers that is still true today:

When you have the law on your side, argue the law
When you have the facts on your side, argue the fact
and when you have neither, "baffle em with bullshit."
You are terrific at the latter.

nealric

Post by nealric » Thu Jul 08, 2010 1:07 pm

Response: If you are going to be a lawyer at least quote people correctly and use the right wording. Yes, I did sit next to someone who worked at Big Law plus I do know many people who work and have worked at Big Law BUT I NEVER said that I was an expert. Again, you are ascribing words that were never said.
Why so serious?

I was just giving you a hard time.

rayiner

Platinum

Post by rayiner » Thu Jul 08, 2010 1:09 pm

taxguy wrote:nealric said,"But I thought you sat next to a biglaw associate on an airplane. Doesn't that mean you are the resident biglaw expert? "

However, you will make a good lawyer, of that I am sure. There is an old saying among lawyers that is still true today:

When you have the law on your side, argue the law
When you have the facts on your side, argue the fact
and when you have neither, "baffle em with bullshit."
You are terrific at the latter.
I don't think you get to use lawyer sayings until you are a lawyer.

let/them/eat/cake

Silver

Post by let/them/eat/cake » Thu Jul 08, 2010 1:18 pm

taxguy wrote:nealric said,"But I thought you sat next to a biglaw associate on an airplane. Doesn't that mean you are the resident biglaw expert? "

taxguy wrote:No one here can give you any insights. I do know that there was a poster who went to Cornell and was in the middle of his class. He still can't find a job. You will see his post in the law job forum where he want to just "give up."
Anonymous User wrote: I just don't know what happen. I am at a T-14 law school (DGMVPN)
see ^. the thread you referred to earlier in this thread in which the OP wanted to "give up," that person definitely is not a Cornell student. Just ftr, RC fail on your part. Wasn't going to say anything, but then you went and got huffy.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”