Military Service in the private sector Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Gamble426

New

Military Service in the private sector

Post by Gamble426 » Mon Jun 07, 2010 2:29 pm

Hello,
I'm wanting to join the ROTC and still go to law school after I graduate. I have several options on how I can do this ....
1.I can delay my obligation until after law school become a jag and then go on active duty for Four years and then move to the private sector. At which point I would be 30
2. I can delay my obligation until after law school and become a jag "reserve" for 8 years.
3. I can serve my full obligation in the Army (4 years) then go to lawschool. At which point I would be 26.

However, Im having a hard time determining which is the best for what I want to do...Which is corporate law and im not sure how law firms especially those who are large view military service. I realize if I choose option 1 it will disqualify me from the on campus interviews, which would be very beneficial. Option three on the other hand would put me graduating law school at 29 which seems to be alright, but it puts me at a much higher risk of facing direct combat in the military which I'm not to keen with.

On that note, Its not that I want to take advantage of the government I'm largely considering my family.

Secondly any advice or perspective into how you corporate lawyers view military service or any one who has been a JAG and is now a private lawyer I would love to hear your thoughts...

happy187

Bronze

Re: Military Service in the private sector

Post by happy187 » Mon Jun 07, 2010 2:45 pm

As a 10 year Army officer let me just throw out that you need to check some of the dates you are throwing out. As I recall all Army obligations are 8 years. 4 years active + 2 reserve + 2 inactive ready reserve, or some combination of each. The only reason I throw that out is I have seen many reserve, and IRR officers get pulled for deployments, especially JAG officers as they are a specialty combat service support. Make sure you read the fine print on your contract and ask direct questions to your PMS and ROTC command.

I can tell you I was at your same cross roads 6 years ago and I decided to post pone law school and complete my service first. And, I couldn't be happier. After leading a platoon and company in combat I feel like I learned a lot about myself. Although I know law school classrooms, and actual court rooms will be stressful and challenging, they never will involve someone shooting at me with an AK-47 (or at least I hope not).

Edit: added this response to same post in military law thread.

mardimar

New

Post by mardimar » Mon Jun 07, 2010 2:51 pm

Last edited by mardimar on Fri Aug 19, 2011 10:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

Gamble426

New

re:happy187

Post by Gamble426 » Mon Jun 07, 2010 2:59 pm

Thanks happy, do you know any thing about the role of Financial Officers I have looked all over the Army website and can't really get any straight answers, I just wish these people would be up front I mean recruiters say left and right rotc=4 years and the websites say 8 it just doesn't make sense but thanks.

happy187

Bronze

Re: re:happy187

Post by happy187 » Mon Jun 07, 2010 3:11 pm

Gamble426 wrote:Thanks happy, do you know any thing about the role of Financial Officers I have looked all over the Army website and can't really get any straight answers, I just wish these people would be up front I mean recruiters say left and right rotc=4 years and the websites say 8 it just doesn't make sense but thanks.
its 8, its always been 8. recruiters will sell you 4 + 4 IRR, they always just forget to mention the IRR. And, yes on IRR you are a name on a list that basically just has to periodically check in and keep records up to date. However, when you are in the IRR you can be pulled as an individual argumentee which increases your likelihood of deployment vs ING (inactive national guard) where your entire unit needs to be put on title 10 orders.

Finance officers are similar to JAG in the sense that they are combat service support with many applicants and few slots. From my understanding to get a Finance officer slot is extremely rare, just because of the lack of positions. When you commission you fill your wish list and then the army gives you a branch based on its needs. Sure being top cadet helps but does not guarantee any branch, or at least that's how it was when I commissioned. I would suggest if you really want one particular branch over another you drill at a national guard unit as a cadet in the branch you want. Every cadet we had that wanted to stay in their particular branch, drilled for 2 years with the unit got a letter from the BC and all got first choice. This is what I did as well, I really wanted Armor and wanted to go Cav, so I joined a Cav unit and got my top choice and SLC.

hope that helps

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Gamble426

New

Re: happy

Post by Gamble426 » Mon Jun 07, 2010 4:06 pm

I'm sorry I'm very new to all this when you say drill what does that mean exactly while I'm in the ROTC program? Also when you mention joining the NG is that possibly the Simaltaneous membership program (SMP)

happy187

Bronze

Post by happy187 » Mon Jun 07, 2010 4:11 pm

Yeah SMP. Although, you don't have to take the SMP scholly to do so, if you are already on ROTC scholly.

Although this may vary from state to state. I am in TX and that is how our NG works.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”