telling employer about transfer Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

telling employer about transfer

Post by Anonymous User » Fri May 14, 2010 9:44 am

i have a 1L SA position with a NLJ250 firm and will most likely be transferring from my T20 to GULC. when is the appropriate time to mention this to my employer over the summer? i really hope to get an offer from them for 2L year, so should i ask them first if its ok before fully committing on the transfer? I don't think the firm has any particular connections with my old school, but I still want to be as open/honest with them from the beginning as possible.

lostjake

Bronze

Re: telling employer about transfer

Post by lostjake » Fri May 14, 2010 9:49 am

Maybe tell them that you have the oppurtunity to transfer and ask their opinion about it now. That way they can think they're part of the decision making process, everyone likes to give their $.02 about things. 0L disclaimer.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri May 14, 2010 9:59 am

thanks for the reply. i guess my primary question is whether this is something i should bring up the first day/early on to the HR person i've been dealing with or partner i'm working with, or should i just casually ask about it as summer goes along and i get to know the partner or my mentor better...

the crux of my concern is i want to position myself as best as possible to get a 2L offer... on one hand, transferring to a better school may make me more attractive. on the other hand, i don't want them to think i want to transfer because i want to go to another firm...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri May 14, 2010 10:34 am

did you already get in to GULC? are you still planning to apply to other schools over the summer? I wouldn't tell them until you are positive about where you are going to be.

I was wondering something similar about fall externships though. A lot of them have you apply over the summer and before you know where you might be in the fall. Do you lose the externship if you change schools? (assuming it's one you found on your own judge/gov agency and not one you used the original school's connections to get).

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri May 14, 2010 10:38 am

already got into gulc... probably not applying to more schools...

yeah, my question is pretty similar to yours - i got my job through the firm's symplicity, but i'm pretty sure it was a mass-posting to multiple schools... don't think the firm has a particularly strong connection with my t20... there are more gulc alums than the school i'm transferring from if anything...

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”