Diff. between DC and NYC Legal Market Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
PLATONiC

Bronze

Diff. between DC and NYC Legal Market

Post by PLATONiC » Sun May 09, 2010 11:35 pm

Both markets are very big, but I read from somewhere that the nature of the work at these two markets tend to differ. Whereas the DC market provides legal work with regulatory undertones, the NYC market is a little more corporate in nature. Please correct me if I'm wrong with this observation.

1. Are there much more work opportunities in litigation at DC than NY?
2. Is it true that it's harder to find high-stakes corporate transaction cases in DC (in comparison to NYC)?
3. How do the differences in the type of work that the legal community of these two markets affect the general atmosphere? This is vague, I know:D

And lastly,
What is the best school for placing into DC? More specifically, is GULC just as good as CCN/MVP?

Pearalegal

Silver

Re: Diff. between DC and NYC Legal Market

Post by Pearalegal » Sun May 09, 2010 11:39 pm

PLATONiC wrote: What is the best school for placing into DC? More specifically, is GULC just as good as CCN/MVP?

Oh my god, jesus christ no.

PLATONiC

Bronze

Post by PLATONiC » Sun May 09, 2010 11:41 pm

Pearalegal wrote:
PLATONiC wrote: What is the best school for placing into DC? More specifically, is GULC just as good as CCN/MVP?

Then what exactly is GULC good for???

Pearalegal

Silver

Post by Pearalegal » Sun May 09, 2010 11:43 pm

PLATONiC wrote:
Pearalegal wrote:

The same thing as Cornell in New York.

Tautology

Bronze

Post by Tautology » Sun May 09, 2010 11:43 pm

PLATONiC wrote:
Pearalegal wrote:

Keepin' the riff-raff out of the T14

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

PLATONiC

Bronze

Post by PLATONiC » Sun May 09, 2010 11:46 pm

So a person as a significantly better chance at DC employment at UVA than in GULC? I was assuming that GULC's large class sizes would help a lot in terms of employment (+ class size = + alumni base).

Pearalegal

Silver

Post by Pearalegal » Sun May 09, 2010 11:49 pm

PLATONiC wrote:So a person as a significantly better chance at DC employment at UVA than in GULC? I was assuming that GULC's large class sizes would help a lot in terms of employment (+ class size = + alumni base).
You're making a lot of huge generalizations here, without making an attempt to specifying tiers of employment.

From my own experience I would say your statement is dead-on for the more elite firms, but can't speak to the rest of DC.

RPK34

Silver

Post by RPK34 » Mon May 10, 2010 12:12 am

Biggest recruits from top DC firms:

Jones Day: UVA
Wilmer: UVA/NYU/BC
Hogan and Hartson: GW
Akin: UVA

And GULC blows all of them out of the water in terms of total grads.

hithere

Bronze

Post by hithere » Mon May 10, 2010 12:30 am

Dude, GULC is super well-respected in DC. You should have no problems getting a job in DC coming out of there. The other two schools that seem to do well in DC are UVA and Duke (for t-14s).

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Pearalegal

Silver

Post by Pearalegal » Mon May 10, 2010 12:33 am

hithere wrote:Dude, GULC is super well-respected in DC. You should have no problems getting a job in DC coming out of there. The other two schools that seem to do well in DC are UVA and Duke (for t-14s).
GULC is well-respected, but at the most elite, big firms...its still HYS and UVA as the tops. The other T-14s, and to an extent, T-20s have a vague leg up on GULC.

I'm sure someone is about to argue with me, and I'm happy to do so, but only from what I know after working in the top 5 firms in DC, nothing else.

thatsnotmyname

Bronze

Post by thatsnotmyname » Mon May 10, 2010 12:41 am

Pearalegal wrote:
hithere wrote:Dude, GULC is super well-respected in DC. You should have no problems getting a job in DC coming out of there. The other two schools that seem to do well in DC are UVA and Duke (for t-14s).
GULC is well-respected, but at the most elite, big firms...its still HYS and UVA as the tops. The other T-14s, and to an extent, T-20s have a vague leg up on GULC.

I'm sure someone is about to argue with me, and I'm happy to do so, but only from what I know after working in the top 5 firms in DC, nothing else.
How much of it could you attribute to people self-selecting out of DC, though? It seems odd that GULC would get out placed in its home market by lower ranked schools. I've read on these boards before that certain DC firms reserve associate spots for grauating GULC grades each year. I don't know which firms, though I'd be intrigued to find out if someone knows...

PLATONiC

Bronze

Post by PLATONiC » Mon May 10, 2010 1:04 am

Pearalegal wrote:
PLATONiC wrote:So a person as a significantly better chance at DC employment at UVA than in GULC? I was assuming that GULC's large class sizes would help a lot in terms of employment (+ class size = + alumni base).
You're making a lot of huge generalizations here, without making an attempt to specifying tiers of employment.

From my own experience I would say your statement is dead-on for the more elite firms, but can't speak to the rest of DC.
That's nice to hear:D I'm not interested in the super elite firms, but am interested in biglaw. Hoping for the NLJ 250 firms that pay market or just slightly lower than market.

underdawg

Silver

Post by underdawg » Mon May 10, 2010 1:50 am

thatsnotmyname wrote:
Pearalegal wrote:

How much of it could you attribute to people self-selecting out of DC, though? It seems odd that GULC would get out placed in its home market by lower ranked schools. I've read on these boards before that certain DC firms reserve associate spots for grauating GULC grades each year. I don't know which firms, though I'd be intrigued to find out if someone knows...
how could she possibly know that? how can anyone possibly know that? at least without having a ton of career services data?
Last edited by underdawg on Sun Jan 28, 2018 12:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

thatsnotmyname

Bronze

Post by thatsnotmyname » Mon May 10, 2010 2:03 am

underdawg wrote:
thatsnotmyname wrote:
Pearalegal wrote:

how could she possibly know that? how can anyone possibly know that? at least without having a ton of career services data?
I wasn't specifically asking her for a list. Just if anyone knows any firms that do. I recall reading that on here, so that means that someone on these forums must know at least one firm that reserves positions for GULC grads. Any information from anyone is helpful. I wasn't asking for a comprehensive list from anyone.

shmoo597

Bronze

Post by shmoo597 » Mon May 10, 2010 2:26 am

Pearalegal wrote:

Honestly, what T15-T20 places better in DC then GULC? This seems absurd/impossible to me.

TTT-LS

Silver

Post by TTT-LS » Mon May 10, 2010 1:33 pm

Last edited by TTT-LS on Mon Jul 12, 2010 11:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PLATONiC

Bronze

Post by PLATONiC » Mon May 10, 2010 10:01 pm

TTT-LS wrote:ITT, TLS posters ignore OP's central question and instead, per usual, launch into thinly substantiated school rankings wars.

As for the actual point of this thread, a few thoughts:

1. Numerically, yes, there are more attorneys doing lit in NYC than DC--though that may be largely a function of the fact that NYC's legal market is just larger than DC's. On a per capita basis, I imagine that there are probably more litigators in DC than NYC, due to the fact that most regulatory work has at least some lit aspect to it (e.g., APA challenges in court, administrative litigations, rulemakings, etc.) and the fact that so many NYC attorneys work on corporate matters.

2. Yes, although there is more corporate work in DC than most people think.

3. The hours in DC are lower, but the difference isn't huge. The DC legal market revolves more around what goes on in Congress & the agencies, whereas NYC revolves around the finance world. The cultures of the legal communities reflect these facts. If you have more specifc cultural questions, people here could probably provide more info (as we've got several posters who have worked as SAs or paralegals in NYC biglaw, and several DC SAs/paralegals plus at least one junior associate).
Wow, thank you for answering my questions:D I'm curious, though, as to how the cultures differ. Any insights would be much appreciated:D

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue May 11, 2010 12:17 am

DC firms are noticeably more grade focused than NYC firms. This is true even if you are at Harvard.

Many of the small public interest boutiques and organizations are also incredibly elitist, and care a lot about grades/school/federal clerkships, etc.

A lot of top school types want to work in DC, so employers can be as picky as they want. You'll most likely have an easier time finding a job in just about any other major market than you will in DC, coming from any t14.

A'nold

Gold

Post by A'nold » Tue May 11, 2010 12:24 am

I feel like I am high reading this thread right now. It's as trippy as a Pink Floyd laser light show on shrooms (not that I'd know).

Renzo

Gold

Post by Renzo » Tue May 11, 2010 12:26 am

A'nold wrote:I feel like I am high reading this thread right now. It's as trippy as a Pink Floyd laser light show on shrooms (not that I'd know).
Pink Floyd is awful, and a waste of good shrooms. Not that I'd know.

soundgardener

New

Post by soundgardener » Tue May 11, 2010 12:46 am

Renzo wrote:
A'nold wrote:I feel like I am high reading this thread right now. It's as trippy as a Pink Floyd laser light show on shrooms (not that I'd know).
WTF?!?!? David Gilmour is a god!

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Renzo

Gold

Post by Renzo » Tue May 11, 2010 4:48 pm

soundgardener wrote:
Renzo wrote:
WTF?!?!? David Gilmour is a god!
Over- rated. Waaaaaaaaayy overrated.

jnorsky

Bronze

Post by jnorsky » Tue May 11, 2010 4:51 pm

pink floyd is overrated? first ive heard of this. Pretty sure they have their niche and are the best of that niche. And yes, if you are listening to pink floyd, you are wasting your trip haha

Renzo

Gold

Post by Renzo » Tue May 11, 2010 4:53 pm

jnorsky wrote:pink floyd is overrated? first ive heard of this. Pretty sure they have their niche and are the best of that niche. And yes, if you are listening to pink floyd, you are wasting your trip haha
Maybe.. But that's one tiny, useless niche.

PLATONiC

Bronze

Post by PLATONiC » Wed May 12, 2010 12:48 am

I'm very curious, though, how likely it is for a senior associate, or even a mid-level associate, to get court-room experience in a litigation team.

Considering all of the regulatory work being done in DC, would it be fair to say that one has a better chance at stepping into a courtroom before reaching partner in DC than in NYC?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”