Summer Internship vs. Current Career Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
rockstar4488

Bronze

Summer Internship vs. Current Career

Post by rockstar4488 » Thu Apr 15, 2010 10:18 am

Hey all,

I'm looking a bit into the future, but generally speaking... do most part timers get internships? Or do they just continue working at their day jobs through the summer. Also, there's a possibility I could get a stretch assignment for the summer in the legal division here at the Department of Commerce. (current employer) Would this resume redundancy be a liability later on?

Thanks, feedback appreciated!

annapavlova

Bronze

Re: Summer Internship vs. Current Career

Post by annapavlova » Thu Apr 15, 2010 10:47 am

I don't think your 1LE summer is as important as day-time 1Ls. Your 2LE maybe. I say - GET PAID!

jchoggan

New

Re: Summer Internship vs. Current Career

Post by jchoggan » Thu Apr 15, 2010 11:00 am

To you first question: most PT students who want biglaw get internships... either by quitting their job or taking a leave of absence. I'll be working through graduation (2E right now), but I'll be taking a HUGE chunk of leave to do an internship next summer (assuming I land one). Internships are an absolute requirement if you want biglaw. 1E and 2E summers don't matter so much. If you don't want biglaw, just try and get experience and work your resume and contacts.

Firms will generally understand if you have a good reason to keep your current job over the summer. Also, there's nothing wrong with redundancy, as long as you can market the experience to some applicable field or skillset the firm will find valuable. It can even be a good thing. This summer I'll be working, taking 2 classes, and doing an RA position at school (and I have a family). It'll be time consuming, but worth it for OCI.

Good luck with everything!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”