master's degree in paralegal studies or law school? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

master's degree in paralegal studies or law school?

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Apr 14, 2010 1:23 pm

looking at a master's degree from GW in paralegal studies vs. a lower tiered law school. Which degree offers the better job prospects?

http://onlinegwu.com/plx/program_overview.asp

nealric

Re: master's degree in paralegal studies or law school?

Post by nealric » Wed Apr 14, 2010 4:12 pm

You should be able to get a paralegal job with your undergrad degree. The idea of a masters seems pretty asinine to me.

If I were you, I would get a job as a paralegal now and see how you like it. You can always go to law school later.

Bert

Bronze

Post by Bert » Wed Apr 14, 2010 4:15 pm

nealric wrote:You should be able to get a paralegal job with your undergrad degree. The idea of a masters seems pretty asinine to me.

If I were you, I would get a job as a paralegal now and see how you like it. You can always go to law school later.
Not everywhere. In some southern states and I believe in DC as well, a paralegal certificate is needed to be recognized as a paralegal (as opposed to a legal assistant), and you need to get a paralegal degree in order to get the paralegal certificate.

prezidentv8

Gold

Post by prezidentv8 » Wed Apr 14, 2010 4:22 pm

Bert wrote:
nealric wrote:You should be able to get a paralegal job with your undergrad degree. The idea of a masters seems pretty asinine to me.

Not everywhere. In some southern states and I believe in DC as well, a paralegal certificate is needed to be recognized as a paralegal (as opposed to a legal assistant), and you need to get a paralegal degree in order to get the paralegal certificate.
:shock:

Doodsmack

Bronze

Post by Doodsmack » Wed Apr 14, 2010 4:29 pm

I'm a paralegal in DC w/ no certificate, although my job is no different than what other firms call a legal assistant.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Bert

Bronze

Post by Bert » Wed Apr 14, 2010 4:32 pm

Thanks for clearing that up.

Maybe a paralegal certificate is merely encouraged in DC then. FWIW, my brother is a paralegal in DC and needed to have a certificate in order to be considered at the firms at which he interviewed.

SteelReserve

Bronze

Post by SteelReserve » Wed Apr 14, 2010 4:35 pm

I think some of the biglaw firms require their paras to have those degrees. Paras at bigfirms make big money but they do work pretty hard and I do not know what the market is for biglaw paras right now; presumably it's better then the market for JDs but I doubt it's a great market.

Also, if you do decide later to go to law school, you will have an awesome in at your firm and you could go to a cheap law school and still get into biglaw. I know two people at my school that did this; the will be working for the same biglaw regional offices that they worked for as paralegals yet they have full rides at my school.

It's a great 'backdoor' to biglaw which enables you to get around the T14 issue and also avoid the T14 debt.

Pleasye

Platinum

Post by Pleasye » Wed Apr 14, 2010 4:39 pm

I'm pretty sure there are some places where a paralegal certificate is necessary in order to be paralegal.

I doubt a masters in paralegal studies is necessary.

Doodsmack

Bronze

Post by Doodsmack » Wed Apr 14, 2010 4:44 pm

SteelReserve wrote:I think some of the biglaw firms require their paras to have those degrees. Paras at bigfirms make big money but they do work pretty hard and I do not know what the market is for biglaw paras right now; presumably it's better then the market for JDs but I doubt it's a great market.

Also, if you do decide later to go to law school, you will have an awesome in at your firm and you could go to a cheap law school and still get into biglaw. I know two people at my school that did this; the will be working for the same biglaw regional offices that they worked for as paralegals yet they have full rides at my school.

It's a great 'backdoor' to biglaw which enables you to get around the T14 issue and also avoid the T14 debt.
This is arguable; at my firm, anyway, you still need the same excellent grades that they would require of any other incoming associate. And most of the time, a top school.
Last edited by Doodsmack on Wed Apr 14, 2010 4:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Pearalegal

Silver

Post by Pearalegal » Wed Apr 14, 2010 4:45 pm

There are different tiers of paralegals at biglaw firms in DC. Most have 2 or 1 year paralegal programs for new grads and then another staff of senior/career paralegals who usually have a certification in a specialized area of law.

I believe many smaller firms only hire specialized paralegals, as they have the skills to take on more substantive work while also doing the more secretarial side of being a paralegal, simply because they can't afford to keep on two different paralegal staffs.

nealric

Post by nealric » Wed Apr 14, 2010 5:33 pm

Not in DC. My fiancee is a paralegal here with just an undergrad. AFIK there is no formal category of "legal assistant" as opposed to "paralegal".

yabbadabbado

Bronze

Post by yabbadabbado » Wed Apr 14, 2010 6:32 pm

If you want to be a para, start applying for paralegal jobs. You definitely don't need that Master's degree to be a paralegal. My guess is that this Master's program is another recent invention to cash-in on students that don't know any better. A lot of universities are coming up with all sorts of BS Master's programs because they are big moneymakers.

If the idea of attending a lower tiered law school bothers you, try to study more for the LSAT to get a higher score the next go around, take a prep course, hire a tutor, etc.

If you are unsure about law school at all, working as a paralegal might help you decide whether its for you or not. Law school isn't going anywhere and you can always go in a couple years if you want.

I wouldn't waste money on a paralegal certificate of any kind either, unless you are ABSOLUTELY sure you need one in order to be a paralegal in your city/state.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Apr 14, 2010 6:58 pm

Pretty sure that the original post is just an unpaid advertisement for this on-line paralegal degree.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

SteelReserve

Bronze

Post by SteelReserve » Wed Apr 14, 2010 8:47 pm

Pretty sure that the original post is just an unpaid advertisement for this on-line paralegal degree.
Doubtful since the post invites debates over job prospects, but why so anonymous? Don't be afraid.

Renzo

Gold

Post by Renzo » Wed Apr 14, 2010 8:53 pm

SteelReserve wrote:I think some of the biglaw firms require their paras to have those degrees. Paras at bigfirms make big money but they do work pretty hard and I do not know what the market is for biglaw paras right now; presumably it's better then the market for JDs but I doubt it's a great market.

One of my classmates was a paralegal at a big NYC firm, they basically told him/her, "call us if your grades are good" when she left for law school. So I'm guessing YMMV with region and firm when attempting this "backdoor."

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”