Years postgrad, will Exp.>LS in terms of national reach? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Zannie1986

New

Years postgrad, will Exp.>LS in terms of national reach?

Post by Zannie1986 » Thu Feb 25, 2010 12:00 am

Let's say you end up going to a school with a better regional than national rep. Someday, in maybe 5, 10 years post LS--you MIGHT want to explore a different territory in the U.S. How many years does a person have to establish himself/herself in the field (not big law, most likely public interest, non-profit) to easily make such a transition? Or will the law school haunt you whenever you leave and hurt your chances FOR THE REST OF YOUR LIFE. I know it's better to go to a better ranked school, a better rep nationally, but as scholarships come in from lower ranked, more regionally reputable schools, I might be lowering standards. I also just generally don't know where the heck I want to end up, if I do choose something with more of a regional name; I could see myself getting sick of any of the areas, after long enough.

nealric

Re: Years postgrad, will Exp.>LS in terms of national reach?

Post by nealric » Thu Feb 25, 2010 1:39 am

Depends entirely on your practice. You could become truly national (or international) or actually become even less portable based on what niche you establish in.

iShotFirst

Bronze

Post by iShotFirst » Thu Feb 25, 2010 1:43 am

Im sure the above poster is correct in that your practice area will have a lot of impact on your prospects. But I think the bigger issue is that after years as a lawyer in a certain area, you will have connections, prospects, relationships, etc in that area, and therefore it would be pretty hard to leave just because of that. Getting up and tearing out your roots, forgoing your connections and going somewhere else would be pretty rare, I'd imagine, unless it was an expat assignment or to another office of the firm youre working with.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Feb 25, 2010 1:49 am

I personally know an extremely successful attorney (like, photo with Obama successful) who went to a TTT law school. So, that is to say, 10+ years out (maybe less so with 5) it depends on how successful you are as a lawyer and the connections you make and reputation you develop as a result. Big name schools give you early cache, but it can't overcome poor performance, while skill can certainly make up the difference longer term.

Gold

Post by 270910 » Thu Feb 25, 2010 1:52 am

You just have to keep in mind that out of law school, talent is the driving force behind hiring decisions - but after law school, it's connections. Talent breeds connections, but if you're the most established, go-to guy for local government contracts in Miami there just isn't going to be a firm clamoring to hire you in Philadelphia. It's nothing personal, it's just the way of things, you know? Certain career paths will open doors in certain markets and close them in others.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

underdawg

Silver

Post by underdawg » Thu Feb 25, 2010 2:19 am

keep in mind the vast majority of people graduating from law school will be thoroughly average lawyers. "i'm gonna kick ass once i start working" is just as dumb as "i'm going to make top 5%!"
Last edited by underdawg on Sun Jan 28, 2018 1:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TTT-LS

Silver

Post by TTT-LS » Thu Feb 25, 2010 12:42 pm

Last edited by TTT-LS on Tue Jul 06, 2010 6:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Attucks

New

Post by Attucks » Thu Feb 25, 2010 1:32 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I personally know an extremely successful attorney (like, photo with Obama successful) who went to a TTT law school.

Charles Barkley

Bronze

Post by Charles Barkley » Thu Feb 25, 2010 1:39 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I personally know an extremely successful attorney (like, photo with Obama successful) who went to a TTT law school. So, that is to say, 10+ years out (maybe less so with 5) it depends on how successful you are as a lawyer and the connections you make and reputation you develop as a result. Big name schools give you early cache, but it can't overcome poor performance, while skill can certainly make up the difference longer term.
This.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

vanwinkle

Platinum

Post by vanwinkle » Thu Feb 25, 2010 1:41 pm

TTT-LS wrote:
nealric wrote:Depends entirely on your practice. You could become truly national (or international) or actually become even less portable based on what niche you establish in.
This sounds about right.
Agreed.

Dick Whitman

Bronze

Post by Dick Whitman » Thu Feb 25, 2010 1:46 pm

The prestige of your firm will probably be as much of a factor as your law school. So to the extent that the regional school helps get your foot in the door at a great firm in that region, then it is less of a detriment. Neither is important as your personal connections. Unfortunately (or fortunately, depending), a national law school will give you both a (geographically) broader rollodex of personal connections as well as a broader list of alumni you have an excuse to call.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”