Can I pass C&F if there is an open warrent on me? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Can I pass C&F if there is an open warrent on me?

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jan 19, 2010 12:35 pm

Ok. Here is the problem.
The U.S. laws prevent me to serve in the military of other foregin governments.
I came here with my Green Card many years ago with no desire to return to my country.
I am a US citizen now.
I haven't talk to my family since then.
From one of the family friends, I just realized that there is an open warrent on me issued by a foregin sovereignty. The warrent was issued while I was in America.
I didn't really commit any crime back there. I chose to follow the U.S. laws and did not serve in the foregin army.
What should I do now? Can I pass C&F ? I am already in law school now.

bissey

Bronze

Re: Can I pass C&F if there is an open warrent on me?

Post by bissey » Tue Jan 19, 2010 12:47 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Ok. Here is the problem.
I came here with my Green Card many years ago with no desire to return to my country.
I am a US citizen now.
From one of the family friends, I just realized that there is an open warrent on me issued by a foregin sovereignty. The warrent was issued while I was in America.
I didn't really commit any crime back there. I chose to follow the U.S. laws and did not serve in the foregin army.
Are you sure the U.S. prevents its citizens from serving in another country's military? I disagree.

Regardless, I have dual citizenship and have a military obligation to my country of origin. If I do not serve there by a certain age, the only thing that happens is that if I step foot in the country, I will be taken straight to the military and will be forced to serve. But if I never go back, nothing will happen.

No one in the U.S. will know about this (based on experience and opinion) and they will not care because you have done nothing wrong in terms of U.S. laws.

Edit: just checked the first part; you CAN serve for another nation and remain a U.S. citizen as long as you intend to remain a citizen.
Last edited by bissey on Tue Jan 19, 2010 12:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.

kurla88

Bronze

Post by kurla88 » Tue Jan 19, 2010 12:50 pm

...Just wanted to say that the title of this thread is amazing.

But I have no idea. Try the Disciplinary Board of the state you want to practice.

hank44

New

Post by hank44 » Tue Jan 19, 2010 12:52 pm

what school do you go to? your grammar/spelling is.....not so good.

CyLaw

Gold

Post by CyLaw » Tue Jan 19, 2010 1:04 pm

bissey wrote: Edit: just checked the first part; you CAN serve for another nation and remain a U.S. citizen as long as you intend to remain a citizen.
Just to second this part. You can find more information at http://travel.state.gov/law/citizenship ... p_780.html.

I don't think many here will be able to comment on your situation. I would suggest either contacting the Bar directly and anonymously, or talking with a lawyer specializing in immigration to see if there are any protective status you can gain to help you in your C&F.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

GATORTIM

Silver

Post by GATORTIM » Tue Jan 19, 2010 1:15 pm

gatorlion

Bronze

Post by gatorlion » Tue Jan 19, 2010 1:27 pm

You can indeed serve in more than one country's military. My uncle served in both the U.S. Army Reserves and Israel's IDF.

matrix637

New

Post by matrix637 » Tue Jan 19, 2010 1:39 pm

bissey wrote:
I am a US citizen now.
Are you sure the U.S. prevents its citizens from serving in another country's military? I disagree.

Regardless, I have dual citizenship and have a military obligation to my country of origin. If I do not serve there by a certain age, the only thing that happens is that if I step foot in the country, I will be taken straight to the military and will be forced to serve. But if I never go back, nothing will happen.

No one in the U.S. will know about this (based on experience and opinion) and they will not care because you have done nothing wrong in terms of U.S. laws.

Edit: just checked the first part; you CAN serve for another nation and remain a U.S. citizen as long as you intend to remain a citizen.
Bissey, are you Persian by any chance? :|

bissey

Bronze

Post by bissey » Tue Jan 19, 2010 3:08 pm

matrix637 wrote:
bissey wrote:
I am a US citizen now.

Bissey, are you Persian by any chance? :|
I'm Turkish

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

amputatedbrain

Bronze

Post by amputatedbrain » Tue Jan 19, 2010 3:12 pm

I'm still a 0L, but I do know that you can forfeit your US citizenship if you enlist in another nations military. It's probably on a case-by-case basis (i.e. was it UK's military or Chinas), but it's definitely a serious issue, and you can lose your US status.

chicoalto0649

Silver

Post by chicoalto0649 » Tue Jan 19, 2010 3:15 pm

Is there a bounty placed on your head?

CyLaw

Gold

Post by CyLaw » Tue Jan 19, 2010 3:24 pm

amputatedbrain wrote:I'm still a 0L, but I do know that you can forfeit your US citizenship if you enlist in another nations military. It's probably on a case-by-case basis (i.e. was it UK's military or Chinas), but it's definitely a serious issue, and you can lose your US status.
Read the link I posted from the State department website. It only has to do with the intention of the individual (wether they intend to forfeit citizenship or not). Automatic loss is the old law. Things changed in 1967

Oblomov

Bronze

Post by Oblomov » Tue Jan 19, 2010 9:09 pm

This is a fun question to speculate about, but you really need to talk with an expert. Contact the bar in the/a state you'd like to be admitted in and do it soon as there may be a lot of procedural stuff you have to go though viz-a-viz Turkey. Or it could be that they just don't give a shit.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”