Law Firms and Undergraduate Grades Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Law Firms and Undergraduate Grades

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jan 09, 2010 10:30 am

I know that law firms care about your law school grades. And I know that they ask for law school transcripts. But do they care about undergraduate performance? Do they ask for a copy of your undergraduate grades. Let's say there was a student who did stellar on the LSAT but had a low 3.1 undergraduate GPA. However, that student got excellent marks in a decent law school. Would law firms care about their undergraduate performance? Also, let's say that the student took 5 years off after graduating from college.

awesomepossum

Silver

Re: Law Firms and Undergraduate Grades

Post by awesomepossum » Sat Jan 09, 2010 10:33 am

the only situation where I know that firms care are in the case of IP boutique firms.

Aberzombie1892

Gold

Post by Aberzombie1892 » Sat Jan 09, 2010 10:45 am

awesomepossum wrote:the only situation where I know that firms care are in the case of IP boutique firms.
While I would generally agree with this, more and more law firms (that I have seen) request an unofficial undergraduate transcript.

However they do not share how your undergrad transcript would affect your job opportunity with the firm (especially if you have less than top notch law school grades).

The only reason they are doing this is because they can be as selective as they want to be now (economy issues).

awesomepossum

Silver

Post by awesomepossum » Sat Jan 09, 2010 11:01 am

Aberzombie1892 wrote:
awesomepossum wrote:the only situation where I know that firms care are in the case of IP boutique firms.
While I would generally agree with this, more and more law firms (that I have seen) request an unofficial undergraduate transcript.

However they do not share how your undergrad transcript would affect your job opportunity with the firm (especially if you have less than top notch law school grades).

The only reason they are doing this is because they can be as selective as they want to be now (economy issues).

I did screening interviews at probably 35 V50 firms did 10 callbacks and had offers from 9. None of them asked for an undergraduate transcript of any kind. What sort of firms asked for an undergraduate transcript that you know of?

chadwick218

Silver

Post by chadwick218 » Sat Jan 09, 2010 11:04 am

I have casually talked with the recruiting manager at a lower ranked V100 ... she indicated that although undergraduate grades generally do not matter a great deal, if they are faced with a candidate with median grades at a T14, but graduated magna or summa from undergrad, they still may be given strong consideration.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Aberzombie1892

Gold

Post by Aberzombie1892 » Sat Jan 09, 2010 11:08 am

awesomepossum wrote:
Aberzombie1892 wrote:

I did screening interviews at probably 35 V50 firms did 10 callbacks and had offers from 9. None of them asked for an undergraduate transcript of any kind. What sort of firms asked for an undergraduate transcript that you know of?
I guess I should have been more clear.

I meant for my 1L summer.

I really haven't checked further than that at this point -

It may just be a southern tradition (TX, LA, MS, etc).

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jan 09, 2010 11:11 am

1L here. I was asked by a recruiting person to bring a UG transcript to an interview over break. I brought it but nobody asked me for it at the interview itself so I just kept it.

chadwick218

Silver

Post by chadwick218 » Sat Jan 09, 2010 11:18 am

I have an interview of Monday and was asked to bring transcripts from any degree granting institution.

Georgiana

Silver

Post by Georgiana » Sat Jan 09, 2010 12:07 pm

For OCI: The quoted and Cravath or Wachtell (I don't remember which one, leaning toward Cravath).

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

thesealocust

Platinum

Post by thesealocust » Sat Jan 09, 2010 12:08 pm

n/m
Last edited by thesealocust on Sat Dec 25, 2010 12:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

PoliticalJunkie

Bronze

Post by PoliticalJunkie » Sat Jan 09, 2010 12:10 pm

awesomepossum wrote:I did screening interviews at probably 35 V50 firms did 10 callbacks and had offers from 9. None of them asked for an undergraduate transcript of any kind. What sort of firms asked for an undergraduate transcript that you know of?
Can''t compare V50 firms with others. Folks going after those jobs are at top law schools and likely got good undergrad grades in the first place so the point is moot.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jan 09, 2010 6:28 pm

TITCR. I had dreadful undergrad grades (sub 3.0) but still went 26/29 on screeners (virtually all V50 and mostly V20), and 8/10 on the callbacks I did (all DC), including an offer from W&C. None of the firms asked for or cared about undergrad grades. They simply are not a factor for 2L SA hiring.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”