Joint Degrees and Jobs Outside of the Academy Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Joint Degrees and Jobs Outside of the Academy

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jan 05, 2010 10:05 pm

I'm not really sure this merits being anonymous, but I think I'm going to do it anyway :D :

I'm currently a 1L at a HYS law school, and I'm getting pretty serious about pursuing a joint degree in Sociology, with the goal of ultimately entering legal academia. At the same time, I'm somewhat concerned about what doors I'm closing as I open new ones.

I want to pursue the PhD not only for the help it would give in procuring a position in the academy; I like being a student, and I want to continue my studies. However, at what cost would I be pursuing this avenue in terms of other career opportunities? Do federal government and (especially) biglaw firms auto-reject people who pursue these joint degrees as 'having their head in the clouds'? I'm thinking in terms of, say, if I were to get my degrees and then want to work biglaw for at least a couple of years for the experience and to pay down student debt.

I guess that I'm just interested more generally in how pursuing a joint degree impacts legal employment outside of the academy. Can anyone speak to this?

heyguys

Bronze

Re: Joint Degrees and Jobs Outside of the Academy

Post by heyguys » Wed Jan 06, 2010 10:06 am

I would be interested to hear any input folks might have on this as well.

Also regarding legal academia: how necessary is a joint degree nowadays? I mean, I'm sure it depends on subject matter and such, but is it considered requisite at this point to have some type of joint degree?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”