Is everyone in Biglaw unhappy? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
DanInALionsDen

Bronze

Is everyone in Biglaw unhappy?

Post by DanInALionsDen » Tue Jan 05, 2010 11:36 am

I have a cousin who works in a big NY law firm and HATES it. I hear the same story from a lot of people I know who've gone to law school and worked in Biglaw: insane hours, treated terribly, etc. Is this the case for everyone (or almost everyone)? Does it get better with time?

Zojirushi

Bronze

Re: Is everyone in Biglaw unhappy?

Post by Zojirushi » Tue Jan 05, 2010 11:41 am

Anecdotal but I have friends who love big law. I think much of it depends of the personality of both the firm and the employee.

nycparalegal

Bronze

Post by nycparalegal » Tue Jan 05, 2010 11:44 am

I think it depends. Biglaw has an attrition rate of about 60%. There's very little mentoring because there is no incentive to teach someone when the chances of them not making partner is very high. The billable hours are a killer, and the type of work you do weighs down on a person's soul.

Aeroplane

Bronze

Post by Aeroplane » Tue Jan 05, 2010 11:52 am

If you think you'd like the work but hate the hours and are not gung ho about living in NYC, consider "biglaw" in a smaller market.

agentzer0

Bronze

Post by agentzer0 » Tue Jan 05, 2010 11:58 am

Aeroplane wrote:If you think you'd like the work but hate the hours and are not gung ho about living in NYC, consider "biglaw" in a smaller market.
what exactly is "the work"? document review?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Zojirushi

Bronze

Post by Zojirushi » Tue Jan 05, 2010 12:05 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Aeroplane wrote:If you think you'd like the work but hate the hours and are not gung ho about living in NYC, consider "biglaw" in a smaller market.
Why are you anonymous? One of my friends works in patent litigation, but due to slow business, he has been doing a lot of pro bono work, mostly immigration. Either way, he finds it very satisfying and finds plenty of time for leisure.

Aeroplane

Bronze

Post by Aeroplane » Tue Jan 05, 2010 12:07 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
I'm not really an expert on what a day in the life of biglaw is like. I'd guess it'd depend on your practice group.

Helmholtz

Gold

Post by Helmholtz » Tue Jan 05, 2010 12:08 pm

christ, people, overusing the anon function?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jan 05, 2010 12:09 pm

Probably :P
Last edited by Anonymous User on Tue Jan 05, 2010 2:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

BradyToMoss

Bronze

Post by BradyToMoss » Tue Jan 05, 2010 1:26 pm

Helmholtz wrote:christ, people, overusing the anon function?

bceagles182

Silver

Post by bceagles182 » Tue Jan 05, 2010 1:36 pm

I work as a paralegal at a BigLaw firm now. Every single lower level associate I know hates their job with a passion. At the same time, most of them don't hate it enough to give up the money.

starstruck393

Silver

Post by starstruck393 » Tue Jan 05, 2010 1:42 pm

To answer your basic question, not everyone in biglaw hates it. I know attorneys there that love it. So that invalidates "everyone." But biglaw is too complex to generalize about. Happiness there depends on the city, firm, practice area, partners you work with, associates you work with, your own personality, with the list going on. Each office is unique, and you'd have to see it first hand to determine how you'd fit in

DavidYurman85

Bronze

Post by DavidYurman85 » Tue Jan 05, 2010 2:16 pm

Zojirushi wrote:Anecdotal but I have friends who love big law. I think much of it depends of the personality of both the firm and the employee.
+1 and I also think it depends on firm location and ranking. I have several friends practicing at biglaw firms in D.C. and NYC and there seems to be a love-hate sort of feeling with biglaw. I think for most of them-the money and prestige helps to reconcile their bad days.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

CE2JD

Silver

Post by CE2JD » Tue Jan 05, 2010 2:17 pm

Everyone I know in biglaw wants to killself.

eye

Bronze

Post by eye » Tue Jan 05, 2010 2:53 pm

I know a 5-year biglaw associate (married w/ a kid) and she absolutely loves her work. I think it also depends on the person.

Helmholtz

Gold

Post by Helmholtz » Tue Jan 05, 2010 3:06 pm

If biglaw doesn't work out, I can always go manage a hedge fund or something.

ruleser

Silver

Post by ruleser » Tue Jan 05, 2010 3:15 pm

jayzon wrote:
Zojirushi wrote:Anecdotal but I have friends who love big law. I think much of it depends of the personality of both the firm and the employee.
I only have one friend who works for big law, but she loves it. She also really enjoys having a whole lot of money.
This - it depends what you want. Do you think working less but having divorces as your job would be preferable to working your ass off but being involved in the largest cases out there? Different answers for different people.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

A'nold

Gold

Post by A'nold » Tue Jan 05, 2010 11:27 pm

ruleser wrote:
jayzon wrote:
I only have one friend who works for big law, but she loves it. She also really enjoys having a whole lot of money.
This - it depends what you want. Do you think working less but having divorces as your job would be preferable to working your ass off but being involved in the largest cases out there? Different answers for different people.
Both of those sound craptastic. I'd rather be in the trenches suing insurance companies for med. malpractice. To each his/her own. :)

underdawg

Silver

Post by underdawg » Wed Jan 06, 2010 1:13 am

according to my interviewers, they all LOVE it :) :) :)
Last edited by underdawg on Sun Jan 28, 2018 1:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

harvey2L

New

Post by harvey2L » Wed Jan 06, 2010 1:47 pm

some love it, some hate it. doesn't matter for most, as it's not really available, despite the representations of career service offices. . .

Kiersten1985

Silver

Post by Kiersten1985 » Wed Jan 06, 2010 1:49 pm

I really think it depends on what your expectations are going in. If you know you're going to be a slave to the firm for the next 7-8 years, but make BANK, then you'll be just fine. If you think it's going to be glitz and glam (or real responsibility) right off the bat, you're going to be disappointed and hate it.

I know a lot of BigLaw attorneys who love (or at least like) their jobs.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

GeePee

Silver

Post by GeePee » Wed Jan 06, 2010 2:05 pm

underdawg wrote:according to my interviewers, they all LOVE it :) :) :)
lol

ps494

Bronze

Post by ps494 » Wed Jan 06, 2010 2:10 pm

A lot of the dissatisfaction with biglaw has to do with the fact that most entering associates have never had a job before. As a result, it's kind of a shock to them, because they've never been in the real world before. They go into biglaw expecting it to consist of intellectually stimulating work, tons of cash, and cocktail parties. When these naive people actually realize what work is, they feel cheated.

ps494

Bronze

Post by ps494 » Wed Jan 06, 2010 2:14 pm

LOL. There are 777 views of this thread already.

Kohinoor

Gold

Post by Kohinoor » Wed Jan 06, 2010 2:17 pm

ps494 wrote:A lot of the dissatisfaction with biglaw has to do with the fact that most entering associates have never had a job before. As a result, it's kind of a shock to them, because they've never been in the real world before. They go into biglaw expecting it to consist of intellectually stimulating work, tons of cash, and cocktail parties. When these naive people actually realize what work is, they feel cheated.
180^180
x100000
/thread

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”