What articles do you want written by fellow TLSers? Forum

Many years ago TLS held a content competition. The competition is no longer active, but this forum keeps going.
pjarron

New

Re: What articles do you want written by fellow TLSers?

Post by pjarron » Fri Aug 07, 2009 1:04 am

Maybe an article on dual degree programs with the law degree and the benefits, or lack of benefits, of getting a jd/mba, jd/mpa/mpp/mph etc. Also, whether its better to apply to both schools at the same time or after your first year of law school.

Ken

Bronze

Post by Ken » Fri Aug 07, 2009 1:25 am

This would be an excellent article, with a particular emphasis on the JD/MBA since that is the most common dual degree.

deadatheist

Bronze

Post by deadatheist » Fri Aug 07, 2009 1:44 am

pjarron wrote:Maybe an article on dual degree programs with the law degree and the benefits, or lack of benefits, of getting a jd/mba, jd/mpa/mpp/mph etc. Also, whether its better to apply to both schools at the same time or after your first year of law school.
i completely agree. it would be particularly interesting for a lot of people interested in (say) government, policy and public affairs to see a side-by-side comparison between public policy and law; or better yet, testimonials from people who have researched these different routes before and made their own choice as to what route is best for them.

i also think it may be useful for someone to create a simple article for people new to tls, particularly to the forums... sometimes the stickies are disregarded, and i think a lot of people would have a better experience with tls if they got a feel for the ropes, so to speak, sooner than later. perhaps a sample use of the search forum, a list of links to the better stickies and tls/law school jargon, etc. just a thought.

and while i'm at it.... it would also be interesting if there was a way to note posters' areas of interest or law school related expertise/specialty/research (for example some are good with etiquette, some with editing, others with finaid calculations, exam-taking, lsat methods or analyzing rankings, w.e.) to help others navigate amongst the plethora of posters here whose posts would be particularly helpful ones to read back or follow further. not sure if this is practical or feasible (and likely not material for an article per se), but i think somewhere down the line such a feature could be useful when certain useful posts and perspectives may unfortunately get buried in time.

that's all :)

legal_penguin

New

Post by legal_penguin » Thu Aug 13, 2009 10:44 pm

It would be great to have some advice for and samples of diversity statements, "Why School X" statements, law school resumes, and addenda. These are things we haven't had too many samples of.

There is a resume section on the site as well as a few DS' in the URM forum, but both could be greatly improved.

Just my suggestions!

lawduder

Bronze

Post by lawduder » Thu Aug 13, 2009 11:00 pm

Echoing the idea of an article about career paths, I'd love to have something that explained career paths in public interest. Biglaw isn't for everyone and "PI" seems to be such a broad topic.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

kurla88

Bronze

Post by kurla88 » Thu Aug 27, 2009 1:35 am

With 1L just around the corner, I really want to see some articles on 1L success. Something that covers how one actually does this law school thing, discusses supplements or lack thereof, etc. I know we have a few of these already, but more are always good!

Oh and something on applying for 1L summer jobs! This is a giant mystery to me.
Last edited by kurla88 on Thu Aug 27, 2009 3:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

reasonable_man

Gold

Post by reasonable_man » Thu Aug 27, 2009 2:15 am

I'm so writing an article lol

IHaveDietMoxie

Bronze

Post by IHaveDietMoxie » Sat Nov 07, 2009 10:28 pm

lawduder wrote:Echoing the idea of an article about career paths, I'd love to have something that explained career paths in public interest. Biglaw isn't for everyone and "PI" seems to be such a broad topic.
Agreed. Perhaps a mix of this with the dual degree idea. Something comprehensive that covers in a general way all the various paths one can conceivably take would be truly helpful to everyone. This would be very long I'm thinking, and would require a great deal of cooperation.

solotee

Bronze

Post by solotee » Tue Nov 17, 2009 12:50 am

A schedule of important dates and what law students should be doing during different phases of law school. Such as 1L winter break, 1L summer, etc, supplemented with the different intern/extern/clinic options available. I'm still trying to understand what I should be doing during 1L besides getting good grades.

Also an article on networking! Especially ITE.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Unadilla Kayaker

Bronze

Post by Unadilla Kayaker » Wed Nov 18, 2009 8:50 am

This is probably aimed at Ken because I think it will take a good bit of credibility.

I'd like to see interviews with lawyers, judges, hiring partners, clerks, and others with their impressions of how things work after law school. I think that we have a good basis of information from law school deans (and that is continuously expanding) but that for students who are in law school hearing what they want to see and how best to approach them or contact them would be great. What impresses a particular judge? How does a hiring partner run the process at a V5 firm? A V50 firm? A mid-sized law firm? A secondary market firm? Maybe interviews with DAs about their jobs and hiring new ADAs. We have so much discussion about law school and so much speculation about applying that has been answered in large part by those who have gone through the process. What is lacking is information for those in law school about next steps and future careers/jobs/opportunities and how to maximize them. Students speculate on this but hard data is hard to come by. It also may be hard to get but I think its at least worth pursuing.

Core

Silver

Post by Core » Wed Feb 10, 2010 12:17 pm

I'd like to see an article on how (and when) to prepare and apply for 1L summer jobs, as well as what types of jobs are available and general info about our options.

ontologyfail

Bronze

Post by ontologyfail » Wed Feb 10, 2010 12:45 pm

Unadilla Kayaker wrote:This is probably aimed at Ken because I think it will take a good bit of credibility.

I'd like to see interviews with lawyers, judges, hiring partners, clerks, and others with their impressions of how things work after law school. I think that we have a good basis of information from law school deans (and that is continuously expanding) but that for students who are in law school hearing what they want to see and how best to approach them or contact them would be great. What impresses a particular judge? How does a hiring partner run the process at a V5 firm? A V50 firm? A mid-sized law firm? A secondary market firm? Maybe interviews with DAs about their jobs and hiring new ADAs. We have so much discussion about law school and so much speculation about applying that has been answered in large part by those who have gone through the process. What is lacking is information for those in law school about next steps and future careers/jobs/opportunities and how to maximize them. Students speculate on this but hard data is hard to come by. It also may be hard to get but I think its at least worth pursuing.
+1

vanwinkle

Platinum

Post by vanwinkle » Thu Feb 11, 2010 9:37 pm

Core wrote:I'd like to see an article on how (and when) to prepare and apply for 1L summer jobs, as well as what types of jobs are available and general info about our options.
Done. :D

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

j.wellington

Bronze

Post by j.wellington » Mon Feb 22, 2010 3:50 pm

mistergoft wrote:I believe that an article detailing different career paths of lawyers would be extraordinarily helpful. Many of us aren't quite sure what sort of practice areas are available (i.e. patent, estates, real estate, tax, M&A); an article describing the various aspects of legal practice and the careers associated with them would undoubtedly help pre-law students make decisions about whether or not to attend law school and, if applicable, which school to attend.
Ditto this. The overwhelming majority of the posters here seem to be aiming for or already employed in Biglaw, and there's a lot of advice floating around for them, there's far less for those of us who are interested in the public or non-profit sectors. It would be great if you could solicit firsthand articles from lawyers in underrepresented fields about why they chose their careers and their experiences.

jdubb990

Bronze

Post by jdubb990 » Thu Jul 22, 2010 1:27 am

Ken,

In the past 3 day's I have read Scribes contribution "How to learn how to do Well on a law school exam" as well as Xeoh85's, Arrow's and Wahoo1L's advice. I think these are all fantastic contributions to TLS. One thing that they seem to be missing though is significant discussion of legal writing. It seems most law schools have a legal writing class as a required 1L curriculum in both fall and spring semester thus it's 20% of the classes you take first year. I'd really be interested in getting suggestions on how I can do well in LW.

Thanks

thegor1987

Bronze

Post by thegor1987 » Thu Sep 02, 2010 5:16 pm

I'd like to see an article about 'How to get into a Top14 Law School' - maybe something along the lines of tips and tricks by someone who has gained admission to several T14's.

jtemp320

Bronze

Post by jtemp320 » Thu Sep 02, 2010 5:39 pm

I liked the article analyzing schools in the NY market and would love to see something similiar done with California (LA/SF), the midwest (Chicago), DC ect.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

jtemp320

Bronze

Post by jtemp320 » Thu Sep 02, 2010 5:39 pm

Ken wrote:This would be an excellent article, with a particular emphasis on the JD/MBA since that is the most common dual degree.
+1 this would be great

deadhipsters

Bronze

Post by deadhipsters » Thu Sep 02, 2010 5:59 pm

I'd like to see more articles on how to procure prestigious public interest work. There is a lot of discussion of Biglaw, but very little talk of prestigious PI (e.g. State Department, D.C. Prosecution, more on D.O.J, etc.) There is some general advice on these topics, but nothing substantial.

jdubb990

Bronze

Post by jdubb990 » Tue Oct 12, 2010 8:31 pm

Ken, I was thinking that in regards to legal writing help, a "memo bank" or "brief bank" could be created. Members could post or submit their A or B+ papers so that others could have examples to learn by. I didn't have many resources for my first legal memo, and I feel like if I had, my grade would have been significantly better.

inchoate_con

Bronze

Post by inchoate_con » Wed Oct 13, 2010 2:35 am

jdubb990 wrote:Ken, I was thinking that in regards to legal writing help, a "memo bank" or "brief bank" could be created. Members could post or submit their A or B+ papers so that others could have examples to learn by. I didn't have many resources for my first legal memo, and I feel like if I had, my grade would have been significantly better.
Second this.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

winnipeg7

New

Post by winnipeg7 » Wed Oct 13, 2010 2:48 am

-maybe some more articles on some of the less famous, but nevertheless "top" law schools would be helpful (like Cardozo, UC-Irvine, Loyola, U of Minnesota, Wisconsin, San Diego).
-Also, maybe some more on Canadian law schools
-More on LLM programs (esp. tax LLMs)
-advice on paying for law school and managing how much student debt you take on

MURPH

Silver

Post by MURPH » Sat Oct 16, 2010 12:27 pm

jdubb990 wrote:Ken,

In the past 3 day's I have read Scribes contribution "How to learn how to do Well on a law school exam" as well as Xeoh85's, Arrow's and Wahoo1L's advice. I think these are all fantastic contributions to TLS. One thing that they seem to be missing though is significant discussion of legal writing. It seems most law schools have a legal writing class as a required 1L curriculum in both fall and spring semester thus it's 20% of the classes you take first year. I'd really be interested in getting suggestions on how I can do well in LW.

Thanks
This legal writing class is a total pain in the ass. hopefully someone takes jdubb990 up on this and writes a How to write a 1L essay guide.

furrywalls

New

Post by furrywalls » Sun Dec 05, 2010 8:09 pm

Any advice on note-taking with a Mac or how to get the most out of using a Mac in law school would be greatly appreciated.

ack

New

Post by ack » Mon Dec 20, 2010 11:51 pm

I agree with the fashion suggestion and the memo/brief bank suggestion. I'd also like to hear more about what others did to do well in Canadian law schools, and what they did to get jobs in Canada. Any scholarship info for Canadian law schools would also be helpful. LSN info is severely lacking for all things Canadian. Also, if the great minds of TLS were able to derive some meaningful career statistics from the bits and pieces available from Canadian law school CSOs and whatever other sources they can find, that would be terrific.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Content Competitions”