First round of winners Forum

Many years ago TLS held a content competition. The competition is no longer active, but this forum keeps going.
Ken

Bronze

First round of winners

Post by Ken » Thu Jul 30, 2009 3:10 pm

Dear TLS Members,

While the prizes, including the grand prize of $500, will be issued in September, we will have prizes every two weeks for the best submission during that period. Our first period, ending July 31st, is almost over. These prizes of $50 are just to say great job and one still is entered in the main contest.

I was looking for feedback from users on what articles they thought were the best. Generally, I will award one prize per 2 weeks, but since there were so many good articles I wanted to bump that up to 3 prizes for $50.

Please let me know what you feel were the best 3 articles written. Arrows great advice on succeeding in 1L is also eligible and I thought was a great contribution. Please list below what articles/contributions you thought were the best.

Cheers,

Ken

Dtackpat75

Bronze

Re: First round of winners

Post by Dtackpat75 » Thu Jul 30, 2009 3:14 pm

I particularly liked Nancy Botwins post that has the list of admission requirements for the top 50 schools. Not really an article but helpful.

LSATfromNC

Silver

Post by LSATfromNC » Thu Jul 30, 2009 3:16 pm

Not sure if its an article but Lawschoolpredictor FTW!

srb

New

Post by srb » Thu Jul 30, 2009 3:30 pm

I particularly enjoyed the Business and Golf article, the Early Action/Early Decision article, and the LSAT Retaking article. All three were informative, and the latter two could have really helped me had they been written in time for my cycle!

Hats off to everyone else, you are all phenomenal writers.

Ken

Bronze

Post by Ken » Thu Jul 30, 2009 3:37 pm

Thanks for the quick feedback. Before I go into any likely winners this round, I wanted to say that I was very impressed with all of the articles and I know that they will all win some level of prize when the final winners are announced. I wanted to thank them all for taking the time to make TLS a better place.

I think Nancy's article really is informative and is likely one of our 3 winners for this round. Lawschoolpredictor.com is amazing and is being done as a passion and to make TLS better, but I would have it be outside of the contest as it is a separate project.

The Early Action/Early Decision article will certainly be one of the ones considered for a winner for this cycle and the LSAT Retaking article was also full of great advice. Nice to have so many great articles to choose from, which is why I expanded it from 1 to at least 3 winners for this round.

Please keep the feedback coming. Best,

Ken

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

wired

Bronze

Post by wired » Thu Jul 30, 2009 7:59 pm

NancyBotwin's app reqs list was the most helpful to me.

YCrevolution

Gold

Post by YCrevolution » Fri Jul 31, 2009 12:26 pm

Ken

Bronze

Post by Ken » Fri Jul 31, 2009 12:36 pm

Hey YC,

I always appreciate unbiased responses so I appreciate your recommendations. Those are the 3 I am leaning towards as well in regards to getting a prize for this first period of the TLS contest.

cendien

Bronze

Post by cendien » Fri Jul 31, 2009 12:54 pm

I will be updating and extending the ED/EA page as much as possible, though I've been busy this week unfortunately.

My suggestions for winners (excluding my article):
  • Chuch's Negotiating Merit Aid (this was a terrifyingly good article)
    NancyBotwin's Requirements List
    and I kinda have a tie between:
    Splitt3r's Retaking Guide
    YCrev's Guide to LSAC
Splitt3r's article helped me more personally, as I will be retaking this Sept and this information is incredibly important to me. Having been reading about the app process for months now, I was more familiar with most of what YCrev posted, so it didn't help me as much, but it is nonetheless an incredibly informative article and I have little doubt that it will be very useful for countless others.

FWIW, I also like my article :wink:

Anyway, these are some amazing submissions, and I can't wait to see what others are produced. If I have time this coming semester I may attempt another one (once the first is finished).

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Ken

Bronze

Post by Ken » Mon Aug 03, 2009 6:35 pm

I wanted to thank everyone who submitted in this first round of submissions for their excellent work. All of the submissions were of excellent quality and will definitely get a prize.

Even though I expanded the list of winners in this first round of submissions from 1 to 3, it was still very hard to select 3 as so many of the articles were amazing.

After much thought, I am going to go with YCrevolution's analysis and pick the following 3 for the bonus $50 awards:

Negotiating Merit Aid by Chuch (even if it's a bit dense), the Apps Requirements list by NancyBotwin, and the ED/EA article by Cendien (hopefully expanded a bit at a later date).

With so many great articles, I wanted to again thank everyone for writing and all of these articles will be granted prizes at the end of the content competition. Any improvements or expansions before the end of the contest will improve the likelihood of getting a higher prize level.

Thanks again! Cheers,

Ken

OperaSoprano

Gold

Post by OperaSoprano » Mon Aug 03, 2009 6:43 pm

Oh my! Ours is coming soon! DA and I are coauthoring the comprehensive guide to waitlist admissions. It shall hopefully be epic! I'll do the profiles this week, too.

YCrevolution

Gold

Post by YCrevolution » Mon Aug 03, 2009 6:57 pm

ConnectUsNow

New

Post by ConnectUsNow » Tue Nov 03, 2009 6:05 pm

I have found Arrow's article on succeeding as a 1L most helpful! As an evening student at his alma mater, I am particularly grateful for the detail and clarity of each of his recommendations. For example, he not only explains what to do when working with practice exams, but also how to get them when they may not seem immediately available (i.e. try finding them at a nearby school of similar ranking, such as Pepperdine). Thank you Arrow! And Arrow, if you're reading this, can I PLEASE see your Torts, Property and Contracts outlines? :? :idea: :arrow: :)

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Content Competitions”