Guide to the LSAC: Transcripts, GPA, and More Forum

Many years ago TLS held a content competition. The competition is no longer active, but this forum keeps going.
refuse2lose

New

Re: Guide to the LSAC: Transcripts, GPA, and More

Post by refuse2lose » Fri Jan 13, 2012 10:23 pm

YCrevolution wrote:
refuse2lose wrote:
YCrevolution wrote:
refuse2lose wrote:Just read this and I'm sort of freaking out. I'm taking the LSAT in June and I have a 3.82 GPA at my undergrad institution. However I received a D in a course my freshmen year, I retook it last year and got an A. It is on my transcript, but it's not listed as having any credit awarded. Am I right that this will count towards my LSAC GPA?

Also, I have taken 12 hours at community college. These were taken in the summer between school years. The reason I took them at CC is because they transfer to my university as P/F, this is the state policy. So even though they went to my university as P/F, do they still count to my LSAC GPA? They are listed on my university transcript as 12 credit hours passed... This is pretty troubling to me because of these 12 hours, 6 are A, 3 B, and 1 as a C.

I'm sort of freaking out here because if all these grades, that I didn't think counted to my GPA, are applied to my LSAC GPA I will only have a 3.6. Even if I earn another 4.0 next semester my GPA will still be quite unimpressive.
The 'D' at your undergrad institution will count.

Given that you need to submit your CC transcript to the LSAC (and provided the CC recorded the grades on the CC transcript), those grades will also count towards your LSDAS GPA.
Thanks, that's what I thought. A little disappointing, but I can still get my GPA up to a 3.7 by the time I apply. So thats pretty good. I 'm guessing I should write an addendum when the time comes?
A brief (one-paragraph) addendum would be helpful, highlight that the D was from freshman year (and hopefully the CC courses were from earlier summers as well).
Thanks, that's exactly what I will do when it comes time to apply. Yes, all CC courses are from earlier semesters. Just curious, how do Law Schools look at GPA addendum's similar to mine? By application time I should have a 3.7 (LSAC) but my University GPA will be almost a 3.9.

deepblue

New

Post by deepblue » Sun Mar 04, 2012 1:54 pm

Ahha.
Last edited by deepblue on Mon Jun 11, 2012 7:53 pm, edited 3 times in total.

YCrevolution

Gold

Post by YCrevolution » Mon Mar 05, 2012 1:12 am

deepblue

New

Post by deepblue » Mon Mar 05, 2012 11:34 am

Yeah, you're right.

ams212

New

Post by ams212 » Sat Jul 07, 2012 8:39 pm

Do Law Schools report the LSDAS GPA to US NEWS or the GPA from the university you attended? Do law schools see your grades and the classes as opposed to just the GPA of each semester and the cumulative?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

YCrevolution

Gold

Post by YCrevolution » Thu Jul 12, 2012 8:19 pm

Puffin

Bronze

Post by Puffin » Fri Aug 31, 2012 10:01 am

I received a D in one class and retook it for an A. Does LSDAS count these as two separate courses when determining GPA or do they only count the lower first attempt?
Thank you!

YCrevolution

Gold

Post by YCrevolution » Wed Sep 05, 2012 8:51 pm

Jacq2212

Bronze

Post by Jacq2212 » Wed Dec 12, 2012 5:35 pm

If applications ask for my GPA from my university do I write the GPA on my transcript or the LSADS GPA? My LSADS GPA was higher than my university GPA, which is why I would love it if instead I could go along with LSADS records ;)

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

YCrevolution

Gold

Post by YCrevolution » Thu Dec 13, 2012 1:34 am

jmjm

Bronze

Post by jmjm » Tue Dec 25, 2012 2:02 am

I took only 1 senior level UG course during summer (non-degree) in a university, many years after obtaining a graduate degree from another university. The course was pass/fail (no letter grade). Do I have to send this course transcript?

PrettyLittleDitty

New

Post by PrettyLittleDitty » Sat Jul 13, 2013 2:41 pm

I completed my undergraduate degree in 2008, and in 2010 I had the brilliant idea that I was going to take some classes at the local community college. I ended up changing my mind after the withdrawl date and basically stopped going. I have F's from these classes, never dreaming that this would come back to haunt me. I've already taken the LSAT and want to apply for admissions in the spring, but am freaking out now that this is going to prevent me from being admitted. Any advice or information would be very much appreciated!!

fsloan

New

Post by fsloan » Thu Jul 03, 2014 12:40 pm

In the initial post you mention that most LSAC GPA's are lower than the ones you receive from your undergradutate institution. Does this primarily have to do with an A- being a 3.67, rather than a 3.7 and a B+ being a 3.33, rather than a 3.3?

On the flip side, is your LSAC gpa primarily only higher if you recieve some A+ grades?

Also, just to clarify, are the grades reported on the TLS top 100 law schools the LSAC GPA or UGPA?

Thanks,

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

ladybruinkp

New

Post by ladybruinkp » Mon Jul 21, 2014 8:34 pm

UCLA is a "real" school and they do give out A+'s

I have received them from three different professors actually, much to my own shock and surprise!

uppsala

New

Post by uppsala » Sun Oct 04, 2015 11:52 pm

Hello, I'm brand new so I apologize if this has been asked as I learn to navigate this site. My question is this: if my undergrad university utilized a third party source to send the transcript to LSAC, and the university does not send via electronic transfer, how to I get the third party the cover sheet requested by LSAC so my transcripts are routed correctly? I attempted to add my LSAC number to my transcript request in hopes of getting it there without the cover sheet.

Thanks!!

KMart

Gold

Post by KMart » Mon Oct 05, 2015 2:12 am

uppsala wrote:Hello, I'm brand new so I apologize if this has been asked as I learn to navigate this site. My question is this: if my undergrad university utilized a third party source to send the transcript to LSAC, and the university does not send via electronic transfer, how to I get the third party the cover sheet requested by LSAC so my transcripts are routed correctly? I attempted to add my LSAC number to my transcript request in hopes of getting it there without the cover sheet.

Thanks!!
I added it on my third address line and it worked fine.

ThatOneAfrican

New

Post by ThatOneAfrican » Sat Aug 13, 2016 5:42 pm

Uh...is there a reason all of the OP's posts have been deleted? :|

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “TLS Content Competitions”