Early Decision and Early Action FAQ's and Information Forum

Many years ago TLS held a content competition. The competition is no longer active, but this forum keeps going.
YCrevolution

Gold

Re: Early Decision and Early Action FAQ's and Information

Post by YCrevolution » Sat Jul 25, 2009 6:08 pm

cendien

Bronze

Post by cendien » Sun Jul 26, 2009 12:38 pm

Ooh, lots of activity here in the last few days! Sorry I've been absent!

Yes - I probably need to add a section or at least a mention of the GW ED program, as it is very different from the others and probably offers zero boost due to the scholarship.

Maybe this wasn't as clear as it needs to be, but as YC said - ED can only be used at one school per cycle. Each school's ED contract should make this abundantly clear. You should never run into a problem with conflicting ED acceptances (as you should never get any).

Thanks so much YC for the T2 schools that offer ED - and all the other info he's been providing. I'll either add to the table or at least add mention of them in that section. I'll also update with info on how schools receive info on how/when you've been accepted to other schools - though I think this is at least partially answered in my response above.

I'm glad this has been so helpful to all of you! I'll update this either later today or sometime this week to reflect these changes. Keep your questions and comments coming and I'll continue to offer what I know and update the post as more questions come about!

PunjabiLower

Bronze

Post by PunjabiLower » Mon Jul 27, 2009 12:30 am

Last edited by PunjabiLower on Wed Jul 29, 2009 10:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Skadden Stairs

Bronze

Post by Skadden Stairs » Mon Jul 27, 2009 12:41 am

Note: Notre Dame ED is non-binding (you only have until 1/05 to accept the offer).

Dijon Ketchup

New

Post by Dijon Ketchup » Wed Jul 29, 2009 1:49 am

ty for this thread

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

robin600

Gold

Post by robin600 » Thu Jul 30, 2009 5:25 pm

I'm pretty positive that WUSTL doesn't have an early admissions or early decisions program.

cendien

Bronze

Post by cendien » Thu Jul 30, 2009 5:37 pm

That was brought up in another thread. I found some description of it on some application form on their website, but it may well have been outdated. I'll update the table.

To prove I'm not just making stuff up: --LinkRemoved--

But yeah, it's been brought to my attention that that is probably outdated, and another search of their website makes me think this is true. So I'll update it.

robin600

Gold

Post by robin600 » Tue Aug 04, 2009 4:51 pm

No, we do not.

Thanks,

Megan Bischof

Admissions Counselor

Washington University in St. Louis

314-935-4525

Sent: Tuesday, August 04, 2009 3:09 PM
To: Admissions Account for School of Law
Subject: early decision
- Hide quoted text -

Hello,
Do you have an early decision program?
Thanks,
Erin

--
Erin **********
***************@gmail.com
Michigan State University
College of Social Science
Criminal Justice
National Society of Leadership and Success
Phi Beta Delta International Honor Society
I just emailed the Wash U admissions, they do not have one.

cendien

Bronze

Post by cendien » Tue Aug 04, 2009 5:06 pm

Thanks for checking on that! I will update the list!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

cendien

Bronze

Post by cendien » Tue Aug 11, 2009 3:51 pm

Changelog:
--Wash U and SMU have been updated to reflect newest data from emails with both schools.
--GW has been updated to include info about their full tuition scholarship with ED acceptances.
--I've added data on all T2 schools (50-100). I will try to continue to expand this list to include all ABA schools in the future, but it should be noted that the farther you get down the list, the fewer EA/ED programs there are.
--The list picture is now saved in a different format (png) and is much clearer. Clickthrough takes you to the updated (100 School) list.
--Added a few more things to the future updates notes at the bottom.

If anyone spots any more misinformation on here, please let me know! I have a few ideas for more questions to add which should be coming soon. Hope this is helping!

NosferatuDracon

New

Post by NosferatuDracon » Thu Sep 10, 2009 5:44 pm

I noticed University of Richmond was missing from your spread sheet. They have an Early Decision option. The specifics of it can be found at this website - --LinkRemoved--

Interestingly enough they also have a summer start option.

cendien

Bronze

Post by cendien » Thu Sep 10, 2009 6:40 pm

Thanks for the tip. Must've overlooked Richmond somehow! I will update when I get home.

tiger 786

New

Post by tiger 786 » Thu Sep 10, 2009 6:49 pm

Is Minnesota EA binding? I ask because on LSAC it states that it is, but that is contrary to other information I have found. Please advise!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

cendien

Bronze

Post by cendien » Thu Sep 10, 2009 7:19 pm

Just checked with the website. If you submit before Nov 15, you are automatically considered an Early Action candidate. There is, however, also an ED option, which is binding. This is what you're seeing on the LSAC website. I will update to clarify.

gwen.staci

New

Post by gwen.staci » Wed Sep 22, 2010 3:12 pm

Hi,

Are we allowed to apply EA for more than one school? Do schools automatically enroll you in EA if you apply early? I don't see an option for EA for Fordham.

Thanks.

BlueDiamond

Silver

Post by BlueDiamond » Wed Sep 29, 2010 4:18 pm

gwen.staci wrote:Hi,

Are we allowed to apply EA for more than one school? Do schools automatically enroll you in EA if you apply early? I don't see an option for EA for Fordham.

Thanks.
Fordham law website:
Do you have an early action program?
Yes, although it is not binding and you must qualify. To qualify, you must take the LSAT prior to the October 2010 test date and submit your application by October 15th. You will be notified by December 15th as long as your file is completed and ready for review.

You can apply EA to as many schools as you would like. Sometimes different schools use different names for their early admission programs though; so just make sure that they are non-binding EA applications. For the most part, ED is binding and EA is non-binding (with a few exceptions).

Also, you would not be automatically enrolled at the school.

If any of this is incorrect please feel free to add more information or correct me.

rewyanc

New

Post by rewyanc » Wed Oct 06, 2010 10:59 am

What if you apply ED to a school and are waitlisted or rejected. Can you then apply ED to another school after that point?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

cendien

Bronze

Post by cendien » Wed Oct 13, 2010 2:03 am

rewyanc wrote:What if you apply ED to a school and are waitlisted or rejected. Can you then apply ED to another school after that point?
Yes. The only real restriction is that you can't have more than one ED application at a school open at the same time. Its been a while since I wrote this, but if I remember correctly, UVA's ED program is open throughout the cycle and they offer very fast turn around, so its possible to apply to it early and find out then potentially do the same elsewhere, or vice versa.

Good luck!

2010trojan

New

Post by 2010trojan » Wed Oct 20, 2010 6:17 am

"In most cases, admitted Early Decision applicants are generally not allowed to defer their acceptance to the next year – an option that may exist otherwise under extenuating circumstances for students who wish to wait an extra year before pursuing their J.D."

I'm planning on asking for a deferral after being accepted. I also was planning on applying early decision until I read this. Do you know if there's a list of specific schools who are known to not allow ED students to defer their acceptance?

cendien

Bronze

Post by cendien » Thu Oct 21, 2010 9:03 pm

2010trojan wrote:I'm planning on asking for a deferral after being accepted. I also was planning on applying early decision until I read this. Do you know if there's a list of specific schools who are known to not allow ED students to defer their acceptance?
Its not a hard and fast rule anywhere, I don't think. Its just a much less likely scenario. By applying ED, you're essentially saying its your top choice and you know exactly where you want to be next year. Don't expect to get a warm reception from the school if you then ask to defer the acceptance a year. It could happen, but its much less likely.

ED serves a decent purpose for the school of getting a decent group of kids in that they are almost 100% sure to attend. When you mess with that dynamic, the school might not be too happy. They're not going to rescind your offer, but don't expect the deferral.

If you don't want to go to law school this year, don't apply this year. That would be my advice.

aaroica

New

Post by aaroica » Fri Nov 19, 2010 3:53 pm

I filed an ED application but have not received a decision. I now want to perhaps take a year off and go to China before starting law school. I understand that ED acceptance will not allow deferrals. Do I have the option of withdrawing from the ED application process (I did sign the ED agreement) BEFORE the admissions decision is made, and still stay on the regular admissions trak? Thanks.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

cendien

Bronze

Post by cendien » Fri Nov 19, 2010 4:11 pm

aaroica wrote:I filed an ED application but have not received a decision. I now want to perhaps take a year off and go to China before starting law school. I understand that ED acceptance will not allow deferrals. Do I have the option of withdrawing from the ED application process (I did sign the ED agreement) BEFORE the admissions decision is made, and still stay on the regular admissions trak? Thanks.
I'm fairly sure that the school would have no problem moving you to regular track. I'd either email or call them and just let them know that you'd like to be moved. You might mention that your plans for next year became less sure, but I doubt they'll care one way or the other. Just make sure you do this before you get a response from them. Once you get the response, it will definitely become binding and you'll either need to attend there next year or not attend at all next year.

crooked

Bronze

Post by crooked » Mon Jun 27, 2011 7:06 pm

Sorry to revive an old thread, but I had a question about the early decision process that I couldn't find a ready answer to online: If you apply ED to one school and are not offered admission (so defer or reject), can you apply to another school ED if you find out before that school's deadline? To be clear, I'm not talking about simultaneous ED applications, just multiple ones within a cycle.

Philipsssssss

Bronze

Post by Philipsssssss » Wed Sep 21, 2011 10:58 am

crooked wrote:Sorry to revive an old thread, but I had a question about the early decision process that I couldn't find a ready answer to online: If you apply ED to one school and are not offered admission (so defer or reject), can you apply to another school ED if you find out before that school's deadline? To be clear, I'm not talking about simultaneous ED applications, just multiple ones within a cycle.

I have the same question - Anyone knows the answer?

Samara

Gold

Post by Samara » Wed Sep 21, 2011 11:17 am

At most schools you can do this. However, some schools, like Northwestern, do not allow you to apply ED if you applied somewhere else ED, even if the other school has already rendered a decision.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Content Competitions”