Business and Golf Forum

Many years ago TLS held a content competition. The competition is no longer active, but this forum keeps going.
Slimpee

Silver

Re: Business and Golf

Post by Slimpee » Wed Aug 12, 2009 10:07 am

wtx wrote:Specs on clubs aren't as important for ppl just starting out, but once you start to get the hang of things it's important to be up to date on equipment. Never underestimate the importance of technology in this game.
I think it's much more important to hone your swing than to keep up with technology. I worked at a course for 6 years and saw countless chumps come in, drop $400 on a new driver or $900 on a new set of irons and then go out to the range and continue to flub and hack and slice their way through a bucket of balls.

Certainly technology CAN help but the club is no better than the person swinging it.

I know, wtx, that you never said that technology is more important than the swing but I think that buying the newest and the greatest is far too overhyped for 90% of golfers...

My advice to absolute newbs: get the cheapest set of clubs that fit reasonably well (ie, not blatantly too-tall or too-short). Seriously, these could be a garage-sale special.

After you have a swing that is semi-reproducible on a regular basis buy a decent set of used clubs (ie Ping, Taylor Made, Callaway, Titleist, etc.) that again, fit reasonably well. Unfortunately, finding clubs that fit is tough if you're 6'+ or 5'8"-

After you've "grooved" your swing and you generally hit the ball the same way most times pay the dough for a set of clubs that fit to you. They certainly don't have to be custom-made but fit is very important if you're going to have any sort of consistency. For example, my Ping Eye2s are 2 degrees flat. I'm 6'2" so I need something like 1 degree upright so my divots tend to be toe-deep. This is caused but the toe of the club digging deeper into the ground than the sole and heel of the club and thus the face is flared open and bad things happen. I think Ping does a great job with their fitting program (at least 3 years ago when I was last working at a course) but most manufacturers will alter their standard specs if you order it.

Granted, I've played maybe 10 times over the past 3 years so I suck right now (golf is damn expensive!). Do as I say, not as I do!

Genki

Bronze

Post by Genki » Wed Aug 12, 2009 10:34 am

I've never played golf before in my life... sad, but true.

However, learning the basics is on of the things I want to do during my break between UG and law school.

stab master arson

Bronze

Post by stab master arson » Wed Aug 12, 2009 9:32 pm

crazycanuck wrote:The ladies' parlor game of golf is closely correlated with ”big business” and is one of the most effective and important tools for networking and deal making in the modern business world.
Fixed.

hijk781

New

I would like to say to the woman

Post by hijk781 » Sun Aug 30, 2009 1:47 pm

I AM A SPAMMER!!!

insidethetwenty

Bronze

Post by insidethetwenty » Wed Feb 24, 2010 11:16 am

This is a great slideshow for people who are just starting out or who want to break 100 or 90.

Arnie's Timeless Tips

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

KNW13

New

Post by KNW13 » Wed Mar 10, 2010 1:14 pm

You should add this disclaimer: If you didn't start playing golf before you were 16 the sport will make a mockery out of you.

:lol:

nStiver

Bronze

Post by nStiver » Mon Feb 07, 2011 9:55 am

crazycanuck wrote: Men should never wear skirts.
Thank you for this insightful information.

vexion

Bronze

Post by vexion » Mon Feb 07, 2011 11:14 am

nStiver wrote:Thank you for this insightful information.

northwood

Platinum

Post by northwood » Mon Feb 07, 2011 11:22 am

KNW13 wrote:You should add this disclaimer: If you didn't start playing golf before you were 16 the sport will make a mockery out of you.

:lol:

Golf makes a mockery of us all!!!!!!!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

prezidentv8

Gold

Post by prezidentv8 » Mon Feb 07, 2011 11:26 am

Wait...this isn't within the dress guidelines?

northwood

Platinum

Post by northwood » Mon Feb 07, 2011 11:27 am

gotta wear a hat bro

nStiver

Bronze

Post by nStiver » Tue Feb 08, 2011 8:59 pm

vexion wrote:
nStiver wrote:Thank you for this insightful information.
lol

pu_golf88

Bronze

Post by pu_golf88 » Wed Feb 09, 2011 9:01 am

Slimpee wrote:
wtx wrote:Specs on clubs aren't as important for ppl just starting out, but once you start to get the hang of things it's important to be up to date on equipment. Never underestimate the importance of technology in this game.
I think it's much more important to hone your swing than to keep up with technology. I worked at a course for 6 years and saw countless chumps come in, drop $400 on a new driver or $900 on a new set of irons and then go out to the range and continue to flub and hack and slice their way through a bucket of balls.

Certainly technology CAN help but the club is no better than the person swinging it.

I know, wtx, that you never said that technology is more important than the swing but I think that buying the newest and the greatest is far too overhyped for 90% of golfers...

My advice to absolute newbs: get the cheapest set of clubs that fit reasonably well (ie, not blatantly too-tall or too-short). Seriously, these could be a garage-sale special.

After you have a swing that is semi-reproducible on a regular basis buy a decent set of used clubs (ie Ping, Taylor Made, Callaway, Titleist, etc.) that again, fit reasonably well. Unfortunately, finding clubs that fit is tough if you're 6'+ or 5'8"-

After you've "grooved" your swing and you generally hit the ball the same way most times pay the dough for a set of clubs that fit to you. They certainly don't have to be custom-made but fit is very important if you're going to have any sort of consistency. For example, my Ping Eye2s are 2 degrees flat. I'm 6'2" so I need something like 1 degree upright so my divots tend to be toe-deep. This is caused but the toe of the club digging deeper into the ground than the sole and heel of the club and thus the face is flared open and bad things happen. I think Ping does a great job with their fitting program (at least 3 years ago when I was last working at a course) but most manufacturers will alter their standard specs if you order it.

Granted, I've played maybe 10 times over the past 3 years so I suck right now (golf is damn expensive!). Do as I say, not as I do!
Well most places a custom order is about the same price is OTR now. Also, with the new adjustable hossle technology that everyone is using, you could just buy one driver and adjust shafts/lies on it. I think the most overlooked part of club fitting is the shaft; especially in irons. When you do buy that set that's meant to last, make sure you get the shafts fit as well.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Content Competitions”