Negotiating Merit Aid Forum

Many years ago TLS held a content competition. The competition is no longer active, but this forum keeps going.
ph5354a

Gold

Re: Negotiating Merit Aid

Post by ph5354a » Wed Mar 13, 2013 4:48 pm

What's the consensus on asking for a specific amount? i.e. being awarded $15,000, requesting $25,000 and hoping they meet you in the middle at $20,000.

Young Marino

Silver

Post by Young Marino » Mon Jun 03, 2013 3:02 pm

So how far above the medians do you need to be for say a 75%-85% tuition scholly. If my lsat is between the above median but below 75th percent but my gpa is way higher than 75th percent, do I still stand a chance of negotiating my way to a scholly that can cover a significant amount of my tuition?

hadisious

Bronze

Post by hadisious » Sat Jun 22, 2013 11:43 am

ph5354a wrote:What's the consensus on asking for a specific amount? i.e. being awarded $15,000, requesting $25,000 and hoping they meet you in the middle at $20,000.
I asked for a specific amount during my negotiation process and was initially denied, but later given the specific amount I asked. I had reasoning though, I calculated cost of living between the schools, etc. and said $X is how much I'll need to attend your school and it cost me the same as attending competitor school. YMMV.

cnjorda

New

Post by cnjorda » Wed Jun 26, 2013 12:04 am

I negotiated my scholarship amount, but didn't think to negotiate the stipulation. I need to be in the top 50% of my class to keep it. I already put down my seat deposit and residence hall security deposit, so I lost a lot (if not all) negotiating power. Any advice about how to approach the subject anyway? I negotiated the amount twice with the Dean of Admissions who basically said not to ask for more money again. Should I talk to him? Talk to my point of contact?

chrisbru

Gold

Post by chrisbru » Wed Jun 26, 2013 11:01 am

cnjorda wrote:I negotiated my scholarship amount, but didn't think to negotiate the stipulation. I need to be in the top 50% of my class to keep it. I already put down my seat deposit and residence hall security deposit, so I lost a lot (if not all) negotiating power. Any advice about how to approach the subject anyway? I negotiated the amount twice with the Dean of Admissions who basically said not to ask for more money again. Should I talk to him? Talk to my point of contact?
You can, but don't expect anything more at this point. Top 50% isn't too bad of a stip though?

Did you say residence hall security deposit? Ouch. I can't imagine living in university housing.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

justonemoregame

Silver

Post by justonemoregame » Wed Jun 26, 2013 11:18 am

cnjorda wrote:I negotiated my scholarship amount, but didn't think to negotiate the stipulation. I need to be in the top 50% of my class to keep it. I already put down my seat deposit and residence hall security deposit, so I lost a lot (if not all) negotiating power. Any advice about how to approach the subject anyway? I negotiated the amount twice with the Dean of Admissions who basically said not to ask for more money again. Should I talk to him? Talk to my point of contact?
That's a tough one since you've already fired two bullets. Maybe you could follow up with another person, and lead-in with a question about the stipulation policy - something that's not answered on the website - how many people lose their scholarships/are scholarships lost completely or reduced? Explain you're relying heavily on funding and toss in an inquiry about the possibility of having the stip removed altogether toward the end.

cnjorda

New

Post by cnjorda » Wed Jun 26, 2013 12:14 pm

chrisbru wrote:
You can, but don't expect anything more at this point. Top 50% isn't too bad of a stip though?

Did you say residence hall security deposit? Ouch. I can't imagine living in university housing.
Yes, the added stipulation to increase my scholarship to a little over half tuition was that I have to stay in the residence hall for the first year. I'm moving across the country, so it's convenient, but damn expensive.

cnjorda

New

Post by cnjorda » Wed Jun 26, 2013 12:15 pm

justonemoregame wrote:
That's a tough one since you've already fired two bullets. Maybe you could follow up with another person, and lead-in with a question about the stipulation policy - something that's not answered on the website - how many people lose their scholarships/are scholarships lost completely or reduced? Explain you're relying heavily on funding and toss in an inquiry about the possibility of having the stip removed altogether toward the end.
Thank you for the advice. I'm going to do that. It's worth a shot.

Young Marino

Silver

Post by Young Marino » Tue Jul 02, 2013 3:37 pm

So I just got off of the phone with Ann Levine and she tried to tell me that acceptance to a higher ranked school with better employment/bar passage rates aren't solid points to bring up in the negotiation process when trying to get money from a lower ranked school. Is she on crack?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

chrisbru

Gold

Post by chrisbru » Tue Jul 02, 2013 3:45 pm

ALeal90 wrote:So I just got off of the phone with Ann Levine and she tried to tell me that acceptance to a higher ranked school with better employment/bar passage rates aren't solid points to bring up in the negotiation process when trying to get money from a lower ranked school. Is she on crack?
No. Acceptance at sticker may not be a negotiating factor. It depends on the disparity of rank, cost, etc.

Young Marino

Silver

Post by Young Marino » Tue Jul 02, 2013 3:55 pm

chrisbru wrote:
ALeal90 wrote:So I just got off of the phone with Ann Levine and she tried to tell me that acceptance to a higher ranked school with better employment/bar passage rates aren't solid points to bring up in the negotiation process when trying to get money from a lower ranked school. Is she on crack?
No. Acceptance at sticker may not be a negotiating factor. It depends on the disparity of rank, cost, etc.
So say the disparity of rank is 2 tiers for one school and one tier for another and at a peer institution, my COA would be lower because I can commute from my parents house. All three schools have better employment and bar passage rates than this lowly tier 4. Still no chance at a solid negotiation letter?

chrisbru

Gold

Post by chrisbru » Tue Jul 02, 2013 4:15 pm

ALeal90 wrote:
chrisbru wrote:
So say the disparity of rank is 2 tiers for one school and one tier for another and at a peer institution, my COA would be lower because I can commute from my parents house. All three schools have better employment and bar passage rates than this lowly tier 4. Still no chance at a solid negotiation letter?
If you're trying to negotiate with a tier 4, you're doing it wrong IMO. But, since this thread isn't for me to tell you that going to a 4th tier school is stupid...

Yeah, in that case it's worth a shot. I wouldn't phrase it like "these schools do better in employment" but rather hey, my COA would be a lot lower here, can you do anything to make that more affordable?

Young Marino

Silver

Post by Young Marino » Tue Jul 02, 2013 9:48 pm

chrisbru wrote:
ALeal90 wrote:
chrisbru wrote:
If you're trying to negotiate with a tier 4, you're doing it wrong IMO. But, since this thread isn't for me to tell you that going to a 4th tier school is stupid...

Yeah, in that case it's worth a shot. I wouldn't phrase it like "these schools do better in employment" but rather hey, my COA would be a lot lower here, can you do anything to make that more affordable?
So pretty much don't remind a school of how shitty they are and that they should literally pay for it. I find that ridiculous. Like c'mon man I have schools with better opportunity to get a jahhb. Why not offer me more money to raise your bullshit medians?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

chrisbru

Gold

Post by chrisbru » Wed Jul 03, 2013 1:40 am

ALeal90 wrote: So pretty much don't remind a school of how shitty they are and that they should literally pay for it. I find that ridiculous. Like c'mon man I have schools with better opportunity to get a jahhb. Why not offer me more money to raise your bullshit medians?
Because the schools know that if you didn't have a reason to go there, you wouldn't bother negotiating. Don't be the girl at the bar that tries to find out which guy will buy her the best drinks and the best breakfast in the AM. If you don't want to go there, then don't go there. If you need to remind a school that you are out of their "league", as you make it seem, then stop fucking them around. You clearly have better offers, is a bottom tier full ride worth it?

(hint: the answer is no. Don't go to a bottom tier school).

Young Marino

Silver

Post by Young Marino » Wed Jul 03, 2013 3:28 pm

chrisbru wrote:
ALeal90 wrote: So pretty much don't remind a school of how shitty they are and that they should literally pay for it. I find that ridiculous. Like c'mon man I have schools with better opportunity to get a jahhb. Why not offer me more money to raise your bullshit medians?
Because the schools know that if you didn't have a reason to go there, you wouldn't bother negotiating. Don't be the girl at the bar that tries to find out which guy will buy her the best drinks and the best breakfast in the AM. If you don't want to go there, then don't go there. If you need to remind a school that you are out of their "league", as you make it seem, then stop fucking them around. You clearly have better offers, is a bottom tier full ride worth it?

(hint: the answer is no. Don't go to a bottom tier school).
Ok. So how about instead stating in my negotiation email, "I've gotten into schools X,Y and Z. Bar passage and employment rates are all a major concern for me. Not to mention, school Y is close enough to my parents house to where I can commute from home. In this instance, my COA would be decreased dramatically as I would have to pay no living expenses by living at home. Again, I appreciate your offer but cost of attendance at your school would be double the price of school Y. Can you make my decision a little easier?" Something along those lines like telling them they're shitty without actually saying it? Lol

Young Marino

Silver

Post by Young Marino » Wed Jul 03, 2013 3:29 pm

Of course put some reasons somewhere in there ob why I would want to attend

chrisbru

Gold

Post by chrisbru » Wed Jul 03, 2013 4:12 pm

ALeal90 wrote: Ok. So how about instead stating in my negotiation email, "I've gotten into schools X,Y and Z. Bar passage and employment rates are all a major concern for me. Not to mention, school Y is close enough to my parents house to where I can commute from home. In this instance, my COA would be decreased dramatically as I would have to pay no living expenses by living at home. Again, I appreciate your offer but cost of attendance at your school would be double the price of school Y. Can you make my decision a little easier?" Something along those lines like telling them they're shitty without actually saying it? Lol
I still don't understand why you so desperately want more money from this school if you think it sucks so much.

However, that sounds fine, but I would definitely put in there why you want to go to the school so they know you are interested and not just dicking them around.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Young Marino

Silver

Post by Young Marino » Wed Jul 03, 2013 5:09 pm

chrisbru wrote:
ALeal90 wrote: Ok. So how about instead stating in my negotiation email, "I've gotten into schools X,Y and Z. Bar passage and employment rates are all a major concern for me. Not to mention, school Y is close enough to my parents house to where I can commute from home. In this instance, my COA would be decreased dramatically as I would have to pay no living expenses by living at home. Again, I appreciate your offer but cost of attendance at your school would be double the price of school Y. Can you make my decision a little easier?" Something along those lines like telling them they're shitty without actually saying it? Lol
I still don't understand why you so desperately want more money from this school if you think it sucks so much.

However, that sounds fine, but I would definitely put in there why you want to go to the school so they know you are interested and not just dicking them around.
Appreciate it brahh. Prob gonna say how beautiful their 1990s facilities are and how nice their profs are. I really want to use the full ride as leverage for a higher ranked school.. But in any case, it would be nice to know that I have a full ride waiting for me somewhere if it doesn't work out that way. I just hope they offer a good amount off the bat. Their 75th percentile gpa/lsat are 3.26/150 for entering fall 2013 class.. My numbers are 3.8/154.. I'm planning to retake in October or December but there's a chance I may be out of the country both months so we'll see. Do you think with my numbers now I would have a full ride shot at this tttt ?

chrisbru

Gold

Post by chrisbru » Wed Jul 03, 2013 5:46 pm

ALeal90 wrote: Appreciate it brahh. Prob gonna say how beautiful their 1990s facilities are and how nice their profs are. I really want to use the full ride as leverage for a higher ranked school.. But in any case, it would be nice to know that I have a full ride waiting for me somewhere if it doesn't work out that way. I just hope they offer a good amount off the bat. Their 75th percentile gpa/lsat are 3.26/150 for entering fall 2013 class.. My numbers are 3.8/154.. I'm planning to retake in October or December but there's a chance I may be out of the country both months so we'll see. Do you think with my numbers now I would have a full ride shot at this tttt ?
You might have a shot. I really don't know much about TTTT scholarships.

Your GPA is good. The LSAT is learnable. There is no rush to go to law school. TCR is obviously retake. You can get that up to a 165 and get full rides to much better schools.

Snowboarder1588

Bronze

Post by Snowboarder1588 » Fri Dec 13, 2013 11:25 am

Hi guys, this is all great info, so thank you for posting it. I have a quick question, do you guys think it's too early to negotiate scholly money at this point? Basically I got 2 offers from very similar schools, but school A happens to be in a better geographic preference for me. School B gave me a renewable scholly, while A only gave me a 1 time scholly. I'm wondering if I should wait a little later into the cycle before negotiating or if it's fine to do it now. Any thoughts?

chrisbru

Gold

Post by chrisbru » Fri Dec 13, 2013 11:30 am

Snowboarder1588 wrote:Hi guys, this is all great info, so thank you for posting it. I have a quick question, do you guys think it's too early to negotiate scholly money at this point? Basically I got 2 offers from very similar schools, but school A happens to be in a better geographic preference for me. School B gave me a renewable scholly, while A only gave me a 1 time scholly. I'm wondering if I should wait a little later into the cycle before negotiating or if it's fine to do it now. Any thoughts?
No, do it now before they can pledge all of their scholarship money. If they are offering you a scholarship this early, they are interested, and you should talk to them about your financial concerns sooner rather than later.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Snowboarder1588

Bronze

Post by Snowboarder1588 » Fri Dec 13, 2013 12:48 pm

chrisbru wrote:
Snowboarder1588 wrote:Hi guys, this is all great info, so thank you for posting it. I have a quick question, do you guys think it's too early to negotiate scholly money at this point? Basically I got 2 offers from very similar schools, but school A happens to be in a better geographic preference for me. School B gave me a renewable scholly, while A only gave me a 1 time scholly. I'm wondering if I should wait a little later into the cycle before negotiating or if it's fine to do it now. Any thoughts?
No, do it now before they can pledge all of their scholarship money. If they are offering you a scholarship this early, they are interested, and you should talk to them about your financial concerns sooner rather than later.
Thanks! I like that prespective.

MURPH

Silver

Post by MURPH » Thu Jan 30, 2014 1:01 am

I graduated in may. I got no law job. I didn't pass the bar and my classmates have to start repaying their tuition now.

I just want to thank the OP of this thread. Without the advice here I'd be in debt.

Instead I got more money out of UCLA Law than anyone ever heard of. My life ain't great right now but if I had not negotiated a great scholarship out of the school I'd have gone elsewhere and paid a hell of a lot more to be in the shitty position I am in now.

In retrospect the only things I'd add to the original post is to apply early, then once you are accepted apply to the non-law scholarships available at the school. I picked up a grad student grant that my school's financial aid dept was not aware of during my 2L year because I went to graduate student admissions and asked them for help too. Many grad school applications are due at the end of October or early December or something. So apply early then bring your acceptance letter to the law school financial aide folks, the grad school financial aid dept and anyone else at the school you can think of.

New

Post by 112 » Sun Feb 23, 2014 8:39 pm

Can I negotiate aid if I am not getting money from a peer school? I have received aid from a t20 school but nothing from a t10. I am below the median and I am a URM. Please help!!

Also waitlisted at other t10's... I am holding out but eventually I will have to make a deposit..

squee116

New

Post by squee116 » Fri Mar 14, 2014 2:21 pm

I just started the negotiation process, and after sending a "cost is important; merit based aid will make a difference" email, the college asked for a request and the other offers.

Am I over-thinking things in believing that request means naming a specific number? Or should I just forward my other offers?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Content Competitions”