TLS Contest Description Forum

Many years ago TLS held a content competition. The competition is no longer active, but this forum keeps going.
Ken

Bronze

Re: TLS Contest Description

Post by Ken » Tue Jul 14, 2009 10:53 pm

Requesting articles is excellent as the few topics I put forward was meant to be a springboard for further suggestions. An article on PI is an excellent topic and focusing on what schools offer LRAP is great information as well. A bit of overlap is ok if it occurs on various topics. I am glad to see that everyone is so enthused for this.

I would definitely appreciate any more suggestions on what articles we should be adding as the goal is to help complete areas where TLS is lacking. Thanks everyone!

tha trev

New

Post by tha trev » Tue Jul 14, 2009 11:56 pm

ken, how can we submit our ... submissions?

Arrow

Bronze

Post by Arrow » Wed Jul 15, 2009 12:44 am

Ken wrote:
Post you submissions in this forum as new topics. I welcome any ideas on ways to improve this contest as it is my first attempt. Unleash your genius, make $, and make TLS a better place.

Cheers,

Ken
I almost missed it too the first time, but just write what you have and posted it here in this forum. Perhaps you can secretly PM it to Ken too. :D

Ken

Bronze

Post by Ken » Wed Jul 15, 2009 1:17 am

Thanks Arrow for clarifying. Yes, please post a new reply with your submission. Perhaps if users have any comments on how to improve the article you may want to consider incorporating them since the more valuable the article is to TLS the more likely it is to get an award. I look forward to your submission. Cheers,

Ken

YCrevolution

Gold

Post by YCrevolution » Wed Jul 15, 2009 3:41 pm

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Kohinoor

Gold

Post by Kohinoor » Wed Jul 15, 2009 5:34 pm

http://rapidshare.com/files/256243578/P ... t.xls.html
http://rapidshare.com/files/256243884/P ... .xlsx.html

Same file formatted for Excel 2007 and legacy versions of Excel. Lemme know if it works for you guys.

YCrevolution

Gold

Post by YCrevolution » Wed Jul 15, 2009 5:42 pm

crazycanuck

Gold

Post by crazycanuck » Thu Jul 16, 2009 7:00 pm

Can I request an article or articles about suits and fashion? I would write it but I know absolutely nothing suits and fashion.

Ken

Bronze

Post by Ken » Thu Jul 16, 2009 11:24 pm

You are not so crazy after all! An article on proper business attire for OCI and for interviews and while working at a firm over the summer would be an excellent article.

Also, if there can be any video profiles of any of the law schools I guarantee that they would get a nice prize. Post it on YouTube but mention http://www.top-law-schools.com in the video for prize eligibility.

Hoping to see more articles soon!

While I will not take away a prize for this, I will give money to anyone who can direct me to a talented friend who is applying to or has applied to top business schools or top med schools as I really need writers for those sites. Pay is $12 an hour and should be educational/fun for them and a fun quick mention on one resumes. Anywhere from 10-30 hours a week. Good GPA (3.5+) and most importantly very familiar with business or medical school and the application process. Refer a friend and get a referral fee if they work for more than 100 hours. I need TLS to help http://www.top-b-schools.com take off and get TMS off the ground so thanks for any help there.

Cheers,

Ken

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

nmoor1501

New

Post by nmoor1501 » Thu Jul 16, 2009 11:28 pm

I think I may have something to add in regards to working as a paralegal in California. Hopefully I will get my act together and write it up.

The real point of my post, though, is: Ken you are a Gaucho!!!!! That is awesome!

crazycanuck

Gold

Post by crazycanuck » Thu Jul 16, 2009 11:30 pm

Wow that is so cool with the top-b-schools. Brilliant ideas.

Ken

Bronze

Post by Ken » Thu Jul 16, 2009 11:41 pm

Go Gauchos! I have lived a good life and greatly enjoyed my time at University of California, Santa Barbara. An avid surfer, I left my home state of Florida for California and have never looked back. Biking to surf spots when I had a 2 hour break in classes or watching the sun set over the ocean while a nice swell rolled in were some of the many great memories I have of UCSB. Its academics were excellent for me as my major of mathematics/economics had small classes and allowed me to get a great education and strong letters of rec. I always strive to be the ultimate warrior, succeeding in both life happiness and success (first academic and now financial). UCSB helped provide me with this balance that I seek to carry on for life.

I do hope to expand to TBS and TMS. I am so proud of the TLS community and want to create similar sites where a synergistic group of people all help each other find the right school for their individualistic goals. When applicants know only a little they are slaves to the rankings, but with detailed profiles and dean interviews I can show that although UC Berkeley and Chicago are both tied for 6th, but that they offer very distinct cultures and values and what school is best depends upon each applicant. I am not into telling others what to do, but want to make sure they make an informed decision.

One of my quotes is that "One's own prescription may not be the best medicine." That is, do not assume that what works well for you (your prescription) is what you should prescribe to others.

UCSB gives one many extraordinary life experiences from which to form building blocks of wisdom.

tha trev

New

Post by tha trev » Fri Jul 17, 2009 6:37 am

i think i teared up during that...

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Pufer

Bronze

Post by Pufer » Fri Jul 17, 2009 3:37 pm

Ken wrote:You are not so crazy after all! An article on proper business attire for OCI and for interviews and while working at a firm over the summer would be an excellent article.
It's basically just an aggregate of my various other suit posts, but I've already written the world's longest suit post regarding men's law school suits (particularly related to interviews). I could probably clean it up, make it less redundant, add some tips for surviving a summer on a couple suits, and drop the info on the suit manufacturers that may or may not remain accurate over time if you're interested.

-Pufer

Carnertine

Bronze

Post by Carnertine » Sat Jul 18, 2009 11:50 am

Is there a specific length you do not want over, I started working on the first year success and it is looking like it will be much longer than I anticipated. It looks like it will be ~9 pages single spaced.

cpaige

New

Post by cpaige » Sat Jul 18, 2009 11:57 pm

Great idea! I especially appreciate it given my lackluster financial situation right now. :) A couple of ideas I've considered are 1) a rundown of loan forgiveness programs (which schools offer them, the terms, which ones seem more/less generous), and 2) a comparison of the major rankings systems. I know Ken did a great interview with Brian Leiter about his rankings, and I would certainly include his work, but too often TLSers concentrate on the known-to-be-flawed USNWR rankings. I'd like to do some research on what respected rankings are out there and explore the variances among them.

Let me know if you think these seem like good ideas. It might take a while given the fact that I'm deep into LSAT world and working full-time, but if there's a perceived need for both, I'll eventually write them both up.

Ken

Bronze

Post by Ken » Sun Jul 19, 2009 12:44 am

Pufer, an article on suits taken from your post and then edited and augmented sounds excellent.

Carnertine, your article on first year success sounds excellent and detailed so no length requirement at all. I greatly appreciate your putting so much effort into it.

Cpaige, I am hopeful that the TLS contest will help TLSers a bit with beer money, fun times, etc. in this tough economy. An article on discussing and then comparing LRAP programs would be great. Also an article exploring the ranking systems would be great for indeed, even with other good alternatives such as the Leiter Rankings, the USNews rankings are still the gospel so an article comparing the rankings would be very illuminating and valuable.

I am very appreciative of all of these ideas and really look forward to anyone taking an idea and running with it. If I get a lot of submissions over this summer I will likely expand the prizes at the lower end for I really would like everyone who puts some thought into this get at least $50 (ideally $500 if they win), but I definitely appreciate everyone's efforts and I anticipate that everyone who tries hard to create a good article will win something.

I really wish I started this contest earlier, TLS would be full of great articles as I am finally harnessing the genius of site members.

Onward and upward! Cheers,

Ken

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

acertainslantoflight

New

Post by acertainslantoflight » Mon Jul 20, 2009 5:18 pm

Hi, Ken!

I would be happy to write an article about financing law school! With all the new options for loan repayment and the current interest rate situation, a lot of information on this topic is becoming outdated very fast.

Ken

Bronze

Post by Ken » Sat Jul 25, 2009 10:55 pm

An up to date article on financing law school would be very valuable and much appreciated! Thanks!

Skadden Stairs

Bronze

Post by Skadden Stairs » Sat Jul 25, 2009 11:01 pm

You should give Pufer a prize just for being the best poster.

Ken

Bronze

Post by Ken » Sat Jul 25, 2009 11:40 pm

Loved Pufer's post on suits and looking forward to that being expanded and becoming an article on attire for interviews and while working at firms. Pufer is a definitely an asset to TLS and loved by many :D

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

mallard

Silver

Post by mallard » Wed Jul 29, 2009 7:18 pm

I may try to put something together about picking between biglaw firms, despite not having gone through the process yet. Is that way too self-assured, or do you think the research I've done is enough to make a useful article?

Ken

Bronze

Post by Ken » Thu Jul 30, 2009 2:54 pm

Hi Mallard,

An article exploring BigLaw and options and choices between firms sounds like an excellent addition. I am confident that your brilliance will overcome your lack of experience. Best,

Ken

dpw4040

New

Post by dpw4040 » Sat Aug 01, 2009 2:26 am

Since I've been on TLS I've seen quite a few posters talk about the different concentrations within law school..."international law" etc.

An article explaining what all of these various veins are would seem to be a useful read.

I have some down time to do it if you consider it worthwhile. Otherwise I've got nothing XD

jackassjim

Bronze

Post by jackassjim » Sat Aug 01, 2009 2:30 am

dpw: What kind of guitar is that? Wood looks amazing.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Content Competitions”