February 2019 Love/Hate Contest- Win $ Forum

Many years ago TLS held a content competition. The competition is no longer active, but this forum keeps going.

Please choose between these entries:

Poll ended at Fri Mar 08, 2019 7:51 pm

fatedreality
9%
Raiden
36%
Lolstudent
9%
tommy77
36%
baseballfan660
9%
VVSLaw
No votes

Total votes: 11

tlsadmin3

February 2019 Love/Hate Contest- Win $

Post by tlsadmin3 » Mon Feb 11, 2019 4:32 pm

Since this is the month of love, Top Law Schools wants to know what you Love or Hate about your law school experience.

Was it a person that you fell in love with during the first year, but ended up in every class with them after the horrible breakup?
Or was law school where you found your passion for Evidence or Contracts? Was it where you found your passionate dislike of CivPro? Or was it just the professor that droned on and on and on?

We want to give $50 Amazon gift cards to random winners from each of the “Love” and “Hate” categories. We will announce the winners of these on March 1,2019. Then, TLS admin will pick the their three favorite tales and let you vote for the best one to win a $100 Amazon gift card. (No mod posts will be chosen for the $100 gift card winner, sorry.) The winner of the $100 Amazon card will be announced Friday afternoon on March 8, so make sure to get your votes in.

Here are the rules, yes unfortunately we have to set some rules. Your name will be entered for each post, as long as it is not a repeat of an earlier entry. Please start the post with either “Love” or “Hate”. You can make as many comments as you like, and yes, they can be made anonymously. Let’s have some fun with this and start entering your tales of adoration and woe on Monday, February 11.

ImaginaryDay

New

Re: February 2019 Love/Hate Contest- Win $

Post by ImaginaryDay » Tue Feb 12, 2019 12:47 pm

"Love"

I'd love to win $100, so here goes.

I loved sparring with the professors. And I loved celebrating after finals were finished.

"Hate"
I'd hate to see the money go to someone else, so here is my "hate" entry.

After the first year, I was so sure that I had failed out, I had really high anxiety until grades came out. I realize this is nothing close to taking the bar and waiting on results. But at that time, I wasn't sure how I was going to be able to go home and tell everyone I failed out of law school and this was huge to me. I did finally get my grades and I passed with no problem. Waiting for grades did get a little better until the bar. These huge wait times that bring so much stress is definitely one of the things I hate about law school.

QContinuum

Post by QContinuum » Tue Feb 12, 2019 12:57 pm

"Love"

Somewhat perversely, I loved the gunners in my section. I was endlessly amused by those tryhards and their incessant arm-waving. I was even more delighted whenever they got smacked down by an unamused professor.

"Hate"

The random nature of law school grading. I don't mind the forced curve so much - Yale can get away with not having real grades, but no other school would be able to do that. But the sheer unpredictability and subjectivity of essay grading never failed to drive me up the wall.

christytothemoon

New

Post by christytothemoon » Tue Feb 12, 2019 1:59 pm

I LOVE your story MASH! The waiting game really SUCKS!

Post_Bre

New

Post by Post_Bre » Tue Feb 12, 2019 2:07 pm

I am going to post a "Hate" response.

Law School is the worst thing I've ever done. People think it will be worth it and let me tell you, IT IS NOT. The material is boring as hell. I would rather die than write another memo or brief. The people suck and if I have to hear about class rank/OCI one more time i'm going to lose my mind.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

kckeisel

New

Post by kckeisel » Tue Feb 12, 2019 2:45 pm

Love

On the first day of Law School I learned Lawyers are liars. They can't be trusted and in order to be a successful attorney you need to be the best of the best. Not only do you have to go to a top law school, but you also have to be ranked in the top of your class. There is a connotation about Lawyers and they are respected among other professions. It gives you a power over people! You are able to influence and persuade people and shape society. This instilled a passion to be better than my peers and colleges! This still pushes me everyday to do more!

Hate

I realized in order to achieve my goals I had to be willing to sacrifice everything! You simply don't have time to dedicate to the typical and mundane lifestyles that most of your "friends" did. I was spending hundreds of thousands of dollars on law school, and wanted to get every penny out of it. I didn't go to birthday parties or weddings. I didn't have time for a relationships or even a pet! I put my blood, sweat and tears into becoming who I am today!

QContinuum

Post by QContinuum » Tue Feb 12, 2019 3:13 pm

kckeisel wrote:Love

On the first day of Law School I learned Lawyers are liars. They can't be trusted and in order to be a successful attorney you need to be the best of the best. Not only do you have to go to a top law school, but you also have to be ranked in the top of your class. There is a connotation about Lawyers and they are respected among other professions. It gives you a power over people! You are able to influence and persuade people and shape society. This instilled a passion to be better than my peers and colleges! This still pushes me everyday to do more!
Okay this struck me strongly enough that I felt a need to chime in, even at risk of derailing this thread.
  • Lawyers are absolutely not supposed to lie. Advocate - advocate zealously - yes. Lie - no. Lying can and does preclude admission to the bar - or, after admission, lead to disciplinary action up to and including disbarment.
  • To obtain a "prestigious" legal job, one either needs to go to a top law school, OR needs to be at or near the top of their class (obviously, the lower-ranked the school, the higher up one needs to be ranked in the class, and once you get down to the T3/T4 level, even being the #1 student in the year may not be sufficient to land a "top" job). But the assertion that one needs to be at a top school and be at the top of the class is flat-out false.
  • Being a lawyer does not inherently give anyone "power over people." There are lawyers with power over people - Congresspeople, judges - but the power stems from the office, not from their status as lawyers.

fatedreality

New

Post by fatedreality » Fri Feb 15, 2019 10:26 pm

Hate

I hated my first year law professor who felt like it was their mission to "run a tight ship" in the classroom with a relentlessly brutal line of socratic questioning day after day along with the very strange mandate that anyone who wanted to leave and go use the bathroom "should think twice" (because it would be ungodly disruptive to the rest of the class). Not a fun time.

Love

I loved making some really great friends in law school who didn't take themselves too seriously and knew how to have a good time once finals were over. Sanity saved :D

Raiden

Bronze

Post by Raiden » Sun Feb 17, 2019 11:06 pm

Love -

The breakfast burritos in my law school cafe.

Hate -

That I discovered the breakfast burritos my 3L year.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Lolstudent

New

Post by Lolstudent » Thu Feb 21, 2019 10:16 am

Love-

I love that my "job" in school is to read interesting things all day.

Hate-

See above.

tommy77

New

Post by tommy77 » Sun Feb 24, 2019 8:51 pm

Love- That I have developed great friendships with a number of classmates that I believe I will still consider friends 30 years from now. From study groups with them, to nights out during 1L, to group venting sessions, to sending any one in our group notes whenever they missed class. I felt that friend group was a big part of my success, and helping me to remain sane during my 1L year, and has been a source of continued happiness during my far less stressful 2L year.

Hate- When my Legislation & Regulations (1L course) professor made the entire final on Regulation despite that she had no idea how to teach about the Regulatory state, and we spend 3 out of the 4 months of the semester solely on legislation. I hated my grade as much as the final itself.

baseballfan660

Bronze

Post by baseballfan660 » Tue Feb 26, 2019 8:09 pm

Love-

When my professors went off on know it all gunners who would act like they were better writers than Saclia or RBG. One great moment was when a gunner said SCOTUS and my professor who clerked for a Supreme Court justice went off on him.

Hate-

How papers were not graded anonymously. All tests were, but papers never were. Felt there was some favoritism in some of my paper classes, when there was no reason for them not to be graded blindly.

VVSLaw

New

Re: February 2019 Love/Hate Contest

Post by VVSLaw » Thu Feb 28, 2019 10:11 am

Love: Trial Advocacy Skills, Civ Pro Professor’s rants about ancillary jurisdiction and graduation. :D

Hate: passive aggressive southern patriarchy and boys club mentality (Deep South) and inability to have safe spaces and mentors for minority students. Professors who gave grades based on “delight” and “favoritism” :shock:

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

QContinuum

Re: February 2019 Love/Hate Contest

Post by QContinuum » Thu Feb 28, 2019 4:32 pm

VVSLaw wrote:Professors who gave grades based on “delight” and “favoritism” :shock:
What does "delight" even mean? And did the professors really come right out and say they were using "favoritism"?!

tlsadmin3

Post by tlsadmin3 » Fri Mar 01, 2019 7:48 pm

Congrats to @Raiden and @tommy77 for being the winners of the $50 random drawings. We will do a poll for the $100 Amazon gift card. It will be given on March 8, so place your votes!

Thanks to all that entered.

Raiden

Bronze

Post by Raiden » Sun Mar 03, 2019 6:57 pm

tlsadmin3 wrote:Congrats to @Raiden and @tommy77 for being the winners of the $50 random drawings. We will do a poll for the $100 Amazon gift card. It will be given on March 8, so place your votes!

Thank you!

tommy77

New

Post by tommy77 » Mon Mar 04, 2019 8:52 pm

tlsadmin3 wrote:Congrats to @Raiden and @tommy77 for being the winners of the $50 random drawings. We will do a poll for the $100 Amazon gift card. It will be given on March 8, so place your votes!

Wow, great thing to return home from. Thanks TLS! I am very excited. I tried to reply to your private message with my email information but it did not let me reply because it says I have not participated enough. Is there a certain amount of posts I have to hit, or time I have to be on the site. Happy to post my email on this thread if I have to, but let me know how to proceed.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

QContinuum

Post by QContinuum » Mon Mar 04, 2019 10:47 pm

tommy77 wrote:

Wow, great thing to return home from. Thanks TLS! I am very excited. I tried to reply to your private message with my email information but it did not let me reply because it says I have not participated enough. Is there a certain amount of posts I have to hit, or time I have to be on the site. Happy to post my email on this thread if I have to, but let me know how to proceed.
Could you retry sending that PM now? My understanding is that once you hit 5 posts (and you now have 6), you're able to send PMs.

(And to be clear, you should reply to the administrator who PM'd you. No need to send me your contact info!)

tommy77

New

Post by tommy77 » Tue Mar 05, 2019 3:39 am

QContinuum wrote:
tommy77 wrote:

Could you retry sending that PM now? My understanding is that once you hit 5 posts (and you now have 6), you're able to send PMs.

(And to be clear, you should reply to the administrator who PM'd you. No need to send me your contact info!)
Thanks! I did that, but the message says it is in my outbox, not in the sent messages folder which is weird. I tried twice.

QContinuum

Post by QContinuum » Tue Mar 05, 2019 12:45 pm

tommy77 wrote:
QContinuum wrote:
tommy77 wrote:

Thanks! I did that, but the message says it is in my outbox, not in the sent messages folder which is weird. I tried twice.
That means it's been sent successfully. It'll move from Outbox to Sent once the recipient opens the message.

tommy77

New

Post by tommy77 » Tue Mar 05, 2019 3:28 pm

QContinuum wrote:
tommy77 wrote:
QContinuum wrote:
tommy77 wrote:

That means it's been sent successfully. It'll move from Outbox to Sent once the recipient opens the message.
Thanks! It worked.

tlsadmin3

Post by tlsadmin3 » Fri Mar 08, 2019 1:48 pm

And the winner of the $100 Amazon gift card goes to (drum roll, please!) @tommy77. Thanks to everybody that entered and everybody that voted! To those that didn’t enter, you let @tommy77 win a total of $150 in Amazon money, which is way better than Monopoly money.
Congrats @tommy77, spend your winnings as unwisely as you want, it’s your money!!!!

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Content Competitions”