Spleen's Guide to Success at a Strong Regional T1/2/3 Forum

Many years ago TLS held a content competition. The competition is no longer active, but this forum keeps going.
DorthyMantooth

New

Re: Spleen's Guide to Success at a Strong Regional T1/2/3

Post by DorthyMantooth » Tue Apr 30, 2013 3:45 pm

Tagging this

spleenworship

Gold

Post by spleenworship » Wed May 01, 2013 12:04 am

Glad I could help.

Another update: Due to unforeseen circumstances my previous firm and I have parted ways. However... I had made friends with a 3L who had told me about their law firm and how much they liked it. When I needed a new job, fast, I called the 3L up and got an interview within a week. A week after that, I had a job.

Networking, people, don't underestimate it. Make friends with everyone and you'll never go hungry.

ETA: and just to be clear, I also contacted 3 other 3Ls who had firms that might be hiring clerks to replace them, four professors, an assigned mentor (who didn't call me back, ugh... never rely on assigned "mentors"), and several attorneys in the building of my old firm. Also had my old bosses look out for me too (we parted on good terms and they gave me a letter of recommendation).

Scotusnerd

Silver

Post by Scotusnerd » Wed May 01, 2013 6:44 am

Congrats on the second job! Things must have looked bleak for a little while. :shock:

spleenworship

Gold

Post by spleenworship » Wed May 01, 2013 4:36 pm

Scotusnerd wrote:Congrats on the second job! Things must have looked bleak for a little while. :shock:

Law school makes everything bleak.

nickb285

Silver

Post by nickb285 » Wed May 01, 2013 4:39 pm

Last edited by nickb285 on Sun Jul 16, 2017 4:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

spleenworship

Gold

Post by spleenworship » Wed Jul 31, 2013 12:19 am

I'm bumping this again for those of you soon to be 1Ls who might appreciate the advice.

togepi

Silver

Post by togepi » Wed Jul 31, 2013 12:23 am

spleenworship wrote:I'm bumping this again for those of you soon to be 1Ls who might appreciate the advice.
Tagging for later. Thank you :) :) :)

BLUERUFiO

Bronze

Post by BLUERUFiO » Tue Dec 31, 2013 10:24 pm

Tag. Awesome post, thanks :)

IgosduIkana

Bronze

Post by IgosduIkana » Tue Dec 31, 2013 11:03 pm

tagged brother! many thanks!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

spleenworship

Gold

Post by spleenworship » Thu Jan 02, 2014 11:15 pm

Glad I could help. To be honest, though, out of the four potential jobs (ie interviews) I have right now, three were not gained through networking at my T2. But I definitely gained the fourth by following my own advice above.

BLUERUFiO

Bronze

Post by BLUERUFiO » Fri Jan 03, 2014 12:51 am

spleenworship wrote:Glad I could help. To be honest, though, out of the four potential jobs (ie interviews) I have right now, three were not gained through networking at my T2. But I definitely gained the fourth by following my own advice above.
Are the other 3 from mass mailing?

thejerseykid

Bronze

Post by thejerseykid » Fri Jan 03, 2014 1:22 am

This is a perspective you don't often see on this site. Definitely worth the read. Thanks!

spleenworship

Gold

Post by spleenworship » Fri Jan 03, 2014 12:55 pm

BLUERUFiO wrote:
spleenworship wrote:Glad I could help. To be honest, though, out of the four potential jobs (ie interviews) I have right now, three were not gained through networking at my T2. But I definitely gained the fourth by following my own advice above.
Are the other 3 from mass mailing?
All PI jobs, one from Equal Justice Works, the second a JAG Corps, the third from a direct application to a PDs office out of state that I never expected to hear back from.

The fourth from networking also PI, local PDs office - got in good with a supervisor there, and also with one of the paralegals thats been there like 20 years. Make friends at the top and the bottom, that's my advice. The secretary or paralegal that puts in a good word for you is INVALUABLE. Do not underestimate those people.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Scotusnerd

Silver

Post by Scotusnerd » Sat Jan 04, 2014 9:38 am

spleenworship wrote:The fourth from networking also PI, local PDs office - got in good with a supervisor there, and also with one of the paralegals thats been there like 20 years. Make friends at the top and the bottom, that's my advice. The secretary or paralegal that puts in a good word for you is INVALUABLE. Do not underestimate those people.
I second this again, from personal experience. Do not underestimate how useful and essential paralegals and secretaries are. They will be far more valued than your ass will be, at least starting out.

BlueLotus

Gold

Post by BlueLotus » Sat Jan 04, 2014 11:32 am

spleenworship wrote:
barestin wrote:Very helpful info, thanks for sharing. Out of curiosity, what kind of law are you ultimately interested in practicing for small law and are you confident that you will have a 70K-100K job lined up when you graduate?
I am in a small market with lower cost of living, so keep that in mind when you read my answer:

1) Family law, Personal Injury, or the DA's office are my ultimate goals. I still haven't decided yet.

2) I don't want to jinx it, but I think there is a decent chance (70/30) my current firm will give me a job after graduation, unless the economy tanks again just before my bar results come in, and they start at about 60K a year... and since my state has like 40% of people living below the federal poverty level.... well, that ain't bad.
Interesting, what made you switch over from wanting DA to becoming a full-fledged PD gunner?

Great thread--refreshing perspective, btw (T30'er here, interested in family/immigration law).

spleenworship

Gold

Post by spleenworship » Sun Jan 05, 2014 12:40 pm

BlueLotus wrote:
spleenworship wrote:
barestin wrote:Very helpful info, thanks for sharing. Out of curiosity, what kind of law are you ultimately interested in practicing for small law and are you confident that you will have a 70K-100K job lined up when you graduate?
I am in a small market with lower cost of living, so keep that in mind when you read my answer:

1) Family law, Personal Injury, or the DA's office are my ultimate goals. I still haven't decided yet.

2) I don't want to jinx it, but I think there is a decent chance (70/30) my current firm will give me a job after graduation, unless the economy tanks again just before my bar results come in, and they start at about 60K a year... and since my state has like 40% of people living below the federal poverty level.... well, that ain't bad.
Interesting, what made you switch over from wanting DA to becoming a full-fledged PD gunner?

Great thread--refreshing perspective, btw (T30'er here, interested in family/immigration law).
I had a judge, former prosecutor, explain to me the importance of having a client.

TheSenator

New

Re: Spleen's Guide to Success at a Strong Regional T2

Post by TheSenator » Mon Feb 03, 2014 7:12 pm

Mr. Pancakes wrote:
nmop_apisdn wrote:
gaud wrote:
IHeartPhilly wrote:Tag for later reading. Thanks for the info!!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Attax

Gold

Post by Attax » Tue Apr 01, 2014 1:48 pm

spleenworship wrote:I'm bumping this again for those of you soon to be 1Ls who might appreciate the advice.
Thanks! This will help a lot!

chargers

New

Post by chargers » Tue Apr 01, 2014 1:59 pm

Great advice!

spleenworship

Gold

Post by spleenworship » Tue Apr 01, 2014 4:57 pm

I'll update this in the next 6 months to tell everyone whether or not I actually got a job with this. My out of market prospects all failed to work out, so now it's all down to networking.

Scotusnerd

Silver

Post by Scotusnerd » Wed Apr 09, 2014 9:10 pm

Just wanted to bump this guide for truth and effectiveness. I'm now working at a state job over the summer that will likely employ me after school. I've been there for a year now. The subject matter is an area that's pretty hard to get in to.

I especially emphasize the not screwing over your classmates part of the guide. I've seen some people let power go to their heads. I get exposed to all the scuttlebutt about the lawyers in the practice area, and believe me, they know. They also know which law clerks are good and which ones are crap. No one has time for dead weight in this economy, and if they think you're dead weight or not a team player, you'll be politely (but firmly) not rehired. I'll let y'all know how it works out after law school, but right now, going into my 3L summer, it's looking promising.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

spleenworship

Gold

Post by spleenworship » Fri May 09, 2014 11:42 pm

So... I am jobbed. My dream job in fact.

In the end it wasn't my grades, my journal, or my hustle that got me the job (though I'm sure all of those helped in significant ways - don't slack on trying to get good grades and extracurriculars) - it was my network.

I got selected for AF JAG - failed medical. Interviews with like 12 PD offices nationwide (including second and third rounds) - no offers.

In the end a couple of friends I had made at the local PDs went down to the hiring partner and demanded my reconsideration. With them went recommendations from four other people I had worked with there, and a supervisor I had met at a party.

So... I can't say my guide will work for everyone. But I will say it worked like a charm for me, and it isn't going to kill anyone here on TLS to try it. Good luck to all y'all going into school now. May you all get jobs.

Platinum

Post by 03152016 » Sat May 10, 2014 12:21 am

spleenworship wrote:So... I am jobbed. My dream job in fact.

In the end it wasn't my grades, my journal, or my hustle that got me the job (though I'm sure all of those helped in significant ways - don't slack on trying to get good grades and extracurriculars) - it was my network.

I got selected for AF JAG - failed medical. Interviews with like 12 PD offices nationwide (including second and third rounds) - no offers.

In the end a couple of friends I had made at the local PDs went down to the hiring partner and demanded my reconsideration. With them went recommendations from four other people I had worked with there, and a supervisor I had met at a party.

So... I can't say my guide will work for everyone. But I will say it worked like a charm for me, and it isn't going to kill anyone here on TLS to try it. Good luck to all y'all going into school now. May you all get jobs.
Grats! :mrgreen:

Caesar Salad

Diamond

Post by Caesar Salad » Sat May 10, 2014 12:53 am

spleenworship wrote:So... I am jobbed. My dream job in fact.

Awesome! Just saw this thread for the first time and read through it, it was cool to read through your path to getting this job, the other opportunities that came and went, and how it all really hinged on networking. I will be starting at a regional school in the fall so this perspective/advice (as a bunch of people already said) is greatly appreciated.

Danger Zone

Platinum

Post by Danger Zone » Sat May 10, 2014 2:19 am

I read this before starting school, and the advice has served me very well. Thanks for the OP spleen, and congrats on the PD job!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Content Competitions”