Nine reasons not to go to law school Forum

Many years ago TLS held a content competition. The competition is no longer active, but this forum keeps going.
crankyankees

New

Nine reasons not to go to law school

Post by crankyankees » Tue Mar 27, 2012 3:19 pm

A cynical, pessimistic list of why you should do anything else but attend law school. 15% exaggerated humor, 85% get me the hell out of this place.

http://imakebaddecisions.wordpress.com/ ... aw-school/

But seriously, best of luck to everyone driving themselves crazy over acceptances. It's the most wonderful time of the year!

nkp007

Bronze

Re: Nine reasons not to go to law school

Post by nkp007 » Tue Mar 27, 2012 3:26 pm

crankyankees wrote:A cynical, pessimistic list of why you should do anything else but attend law school. 15% exaggerated humor, 85% get me the hell out of this place.

But seriously, best of luck to everyone driving themselves crazy over acceptances. It's the most wonderful time of the year!
True or false?

rad lulz

Platinum

Post by rad lulz » Tue Mar 27, 2012 3:31 pm

Last edited by rad lulz on Sun Apr 21, 2013 6:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lobolawyer

Bronze

Post by lobolawyer » Tue Mar 27, 2012 3:31 pm

nkp007 wrote:
crankyankees wrote:A cynical, pessimistic list of why you should do anything else but attend law school. 15% exaggerated humor, 85% get me the hell out of this place.

True or false?
Some slight embellishing, but an accurate assessment of most of my feelings about the past 3 years.

crankyankees

New

Post by crankyankees » Tue Mar 27, 2012 3:31 pm

nkp007 wrote:

True or false?
absolutely true. the "15% exaggerated humor" is my pessimistic, sarcastic opinion of the entire legal education system. I realize I'm posting this to a bunch of hopefuls/current attendees/alums, so I just wanted to stress that my goal wasn't to dissuade or insult anyone from their life choices, just present a truthful account of my experience.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

adam1

Bronze

Post by adam1 » Tue Mar 27, 2012 3:33 pm

I thought this was going to be an mtal thread. let down..

t14fanboy

Bronze

Post by t14fanboy » Tue Mar 27, 2012 3:55 pm

Good for you.

congusto

New

Post by congusto » Tue Mar 27, 2012 11:01 pm

What did you think, that law school would be easy? That people wouldn't be put together enough to hand in their memos with time to get a full night's rest before dressing in the morning so they don't look like slobs? Did you think that everything would be on an even playing field? Sorry, but life isn't fair -- people make the most of it. If you can't handle eating alone every now and then, you have far deeper issues than those revealed through your law school travails.

BBLobster

New

Post by BBLobster » Tue Mar 27, 2012 11:19 pm

I'm kind of amazed... going to the same school and being in the same year, I dont really find this to apply to my experiences at all. It's too bad that you took to the internet to make anonymous personal attacks on some people in your class, because it's really unfair to them that you'd say things behind their back in a public forum instead of to their faces.

I'd say to those who don't know the actual people called out: take these words with a grain of salt, because many of the people who are discussed are actually some of the nicest people you'd ever meet.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

rad lulz

Platinum

Post by rad lulz » Tue Mar 27, 2012 11:23 pm

BBLobster

New

Post by BBLobster » Tue Mar 27, 2012 11:25 pm

What can I say, we stand up for our own.

nkp007

Bronze

Post by nkp007 » Tue Mar 27, 2012 11:27 pm

BBLobster wrote:I'm kind of amazed... going to the same school and being in the same year, I dont really find this to apply to my experiences at all. It's too bad that you took to the internet to make anonymous personal attacks on some people in your class, because it's really unfair to them that you'd say things behind their back in a public forum instead of to their faces.

I'd say to those who don't know the actual people called out: take these words with a grain of salt, because many of the people who are discussed are actually some of the nicest people you'd ever meet.
She sounds kind of mean. I wouldn't invite her to my secret facebook group either.

traynorsbizarro

New

Post by traynorsbizarro » Tue Mar 27, 2012 11:27 pm

congusto wrote:What did you think, that law school would be easy? That people wouldn't be put together enough to hand in their memos with time to get a full night's rest before dressing in the morning so they don't look like slobs? Did you think that everything would be on an even playing field? Sorry, but life isn't fair -- people make the most of it. If you can't handle eating alone every now and then, you have far deeper issues than those revealed through your law school travails.
Get em gunna!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

reformed calvinist

Bronze

Post by reformed calvinist » Tue Mar 27, 2012 11:32 pm

Meh I agree somewhat. Law school does attract a special breed of arrogant cocksuckers, but then again, you'll encounter people like that everywhere.

By far the worst part about law school is the section system first year. I liked undergrad just fine, where the people changed with every class. Hell, this was true even in high school. I haven't had every class with the same exact people since 6th grade-no, that's not a joke. It's not even that I dislike most of the people, it just gets old.

Also, the pedagogy is atrocious. Seriously, the casebook method is the most boring fucking thing I can think of. From taking graduate seminars in political science senior year to reciting facts about 19th century cases about fucking farms and cows? Fucking seriously? The only reason I manage to slog through the readings and pay attention to the aimless discussions in class is because I know what I want out of law school. You have to fucking know what your goals are, or you will fucking sink like a rock (unless you're a masochist/love school).

Seriously, if I had gone to law school because I loved academics or I wanted an exciting intellectual experience, I would have dropped out a long time ago. You get through it, get your degree, then move on. Know what you want at the end of the road or you will sink into depression and misery.

rad lulz

Platinum

Post by rad lulz » Tue Mar 27, 2012 11:36 pm

soj

Platinum

Post by soj » Wed Mar 28, 2012 1:15 pm

None of this surprises me, including the white knights. Thanks for the read.

philly_law

New

Post by philly_law » Wed Mar 28, 2012 1:28 pm

reading this was an excellent way to pass the time in corporate tax.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

legends159

Silver

Post by legends159 » Wed Mar 28, 2012 2:16 pm

funny read. but seriously, OP you might want to remove your personal information from your blog...you know your picture, your name etc.

t14fanboy

Bronze

Post by t14fanboy » Wed Mar 28, 2012 2:31 pm

"How I long for the days of undergrad, where students would celebrate over getting by with C’s. How stupid I was to think my summa cum laude would translate to equally high marks in law school."

Pretty stupid when you get a BA in Theater Studies from Montclair State University.

"In addition to getting perfect grades, you’re solely responsible for finding two summers’ worth of employment before you leave the comforts of law school and enter the real world."

Have you never sought employment during college? Most people have to hustle. I'm sorry that you found this out so late.

"Wanna be a politician? Go work in politics! Wanna be a financial wizard? Get an MBA and go work in finance! Because unemployment is rampant in our country it’s no longer a possibility to get a law degree and see what happens."

LMFAO. You make it sound as if these other paths are any easier than law school. Or maybe you were a poor soul who thought that going to law school would qualify you for a managing director position at Goldman. Who the hell takes on student loans with a "see what happens" attitude?

Geneva

Silver

Post by Geneva » Fri Mar 30, 2012 1:18 am

"Law school is not an elongation of undergrad, a playground for intellectuals, or the golden ticket to employment- it’s a vocational school for people who want nothing else than to be attorneys."

sunynp

Gold

Post by sunynp » Fri Mar 30, 2012 2:23 am

t14fanboy wrote:"How I long for the days of undergrad, where students would celebrate over getting by with C’s. How stupid I was to think my summa cum laude would translate to equally high marks in law school."

Pretty stupid when you get a BA in Theater Studies from Montclair State University.

"In addition to getting perfect grades, you’re solely responsible for finding two summers’ worth of employment before you leave the comforts of law school and enter the real world."

Have you never sought employment during college? Most people have to hustle. I'm sorry that you found this out so late.

"Wanna be a politician? Go work in politics! Wanna be a financial wizard? Get an MBA and go work in finance! Because unemployment is rampant in our country it’s no longer a possibility to get a law degree and see what happens."

LMFAO. You make it sound as if these other paths are any easier than law school. Or maybe you were a poor soul who thought that going to law school would qualify you for a managing director position at Goldman. Who the hell takes on student loans with a "see what happens" attitude
Re the last sentence which I bolded: Pretty much everyone as far as I can tell.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

t14fanboy

Bronze

Post by t14fanboy » Fri Mar 30, 2012 3:14 am

I.P. Daly

Silver

Post by I.P. Daly » Sat Mar 31, 2012 10:27 pm

Geneva wrote:"Law school is not an elongation of undergrad, a playground for intellectuals, or the golden ticket to employment- it’s a vocational school for people who want nothing else than to be attorneys."
Valid point.

beachbum

Gold

Post by beachbum » Sat Mar 31, 2012 10:56 pm

No, that sounds about right.

blsingindisguise

Silver

Post by blsingindisguise » Sun Apr 01, 2012 12:20 am

Of course it's a vocational school for people who want to become attorneys. How do people not understand this going into law school? As far as I'm concerned that is the singular reason to either go or not go to law school -- you want and have good reasons for wanting to be an attorney or you don't.

As for the blogger, she has a few reasonable points but for the most part she sounds like a spoiled, overly-self-regarding jerk who has never done anything hard in her life. Law school is nowhere near as difficult or "unfair" as she makes it sound, and as far as how awful "the people" are, well there's that George Carlin about how if you meet seven assholes in a day, guess what, you're the asshole.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Content Competitions”