Success in Your First Year of Law School Forum

Many years ago TLS held a content competition. The competition is no longer active, but this forum keeps going.
Talon

New

Re: Success in Your First Year of Law School

Post by Talon » Thu Aug 05, 2010 10:14 pm

ohmy212 wrote:This is great. Thanks! Do you mind sharing approximately how many hours a day/weekend you spent studying? Thanks again!
I never could keep track of how much time I spent studying, mainly because I would outline for 30 minutes, play 15 minutes of video games, go back to outlining for 15 minutes, then go out to eat, and so on. Fall was especially disorganized, since on the weekends I would often be gamecasting or streaming football games while outlining. If I had to guess, I'd say I spent 50 hours (including class time) during the first half of the semester, and 60 hours during the second half of the semester (to account for doing more outlining and taking practice exams). That could be way off though. At any rate, I never felt like I was being overworked.

Platinum

Post by 02122015 » Sun Aug 08, 2010 7:35 pm

Amazing post. I was starting to freak out a bit earlier (i.e. my time horizon made it past orientation and on to actual classes) but this really helped me feel more confident. Bookmarked immediately.

MiamiUG

New

Post by MiamiUG » Sun Aug 15, 2010 9:22 pm

JOThompson wrote:I'll be referring to this often, thanks!
tag

holydonkey

Silver

Post by holydonkey » Sun Aug 15, 2010 9:27 pm

thanks

lawschoolstudent85

Bronze

Post by lawschoolstudent85 » Sun Aug 15, 2010 9:35 pm

ttt

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

charlow

New

Post by charlow » Mon Aug 16, 2010 10:33 pm

Bump

blackmamba76

Bronze

Post by blackmamba76 » Mon Aug 16, 2010 10:41 pm

Bump. Thanks.

senunit

New

Post by senunit » Fri Aug 20, 2010 8:47 pm

Hey Talon, thanks a lot for this! Its very helpful to hear such insightful advice from someone who has done it and completed 1L successfully.

I have a Q relating to the practice tests. Lets say there is no access to a model answer. Does that leave the option to only compare it or show it to another student? Who's to know that the evaluation will be of any value having just met the fellow 1L's? Are there alternate advisable methods to approach this?

Also, when did you find that a supplement would be beneficial for your constitutional law course? Did you buy it before, or during the semester as the material became more difficult to understand?

Thanks again!

Talon

New

Post by Talon » Sat Aug 21, 2010 10:54 pm

senunit wrote:I have a Q relating to the practice tests. Lets say there is no access to a model answer. Does that leave the option to only compare it or show it to another student? Who's to know that the evaluation will be of any value having just met the fellow 1L's? Are there alternate advisable methods to approach this?
If there's no model answer, comparing your answer to another student's lets you know how you're doing. It will make you aware of any major issues you missed, any improper applications of the law, and such (unless, of course, both of you made the same error). While you may not get a good sense for whether your answer is A quality or merely median, you'll at least learn what errors you are making and hopefully learn how to avoid them - that's the value of exchanging answers. Sometimes professors will offer to read over your answer to one of their old exams - you should consider taking up those offers.
senunit wrote:Also, when did you find that a supplement would be beneficial for your constitutional law course? Did you buy it before, or during the semester as the material became more difficult to understand?
I bought it during the semester. Constitutional law is a tricky subject because there are few clear rules - the case law does not, for example, clearly address the issue of whether or not a federal regulation of marriage might be an improper exercise of commerce power. The only way to successfully analyze that issue is to be familiar with the Commerce Clause cases, and supplements can present good points about the cases that you might not see just by reading the cases yourself.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

senunit

New

Post by senunit » Mon Aug 23, 2010 9:12 pm

Thanks again man!

One more Q: does it matter what year the supplement is? For example, the con law supplement that you recommend is listed for sale in the 2008 edition and the 2009 edition. Would you recommend paying the extra money for a supplement that is updated?

Talon

New

Post by Talon » Mon Aug 23, 2010 10:06 pm

senunit wrote:Thanks again man!

One more Q: does it matter what year the supplement is? For example, the con law supplement that you recommend is listed for sale in the 2008 edition and the 2009 edition. Would you recommend paying the extra money for a supplement that is updated?
Depends on the course. For constitutional law, you should get the latest supplement, since you don't want to miss out on recent decisions that have altered particular fields. For civil procedure you can use an older supplement if you know what has changed recently (pleadings in Twombly, for example), but you may want to play it safe by getting the latest supplement. For the other classes, I think you can use older supplements - I don't think the basic doctrines have changed much in the past decade.

jawsthegreat

Silver

Post by jawsthegreat » Mon Aug 23, 2010 10:18 pm

Talon wrote:
senunit wrote:I have a Q relating to the practice tests. Lets say there is no access to a model answer. Does that leave the option to only compare it or show it to another student? Who's to know that the evaluation will be of any value having just met the fellow 1L's? Are there alternate advisable methods to approach this?
If there's no model answer, comparing your answer to another student's lets you know how you're doing. It will make you aware of any major issues you missed, any improper applications of the law, and such (unless, of course, both of you made the same error). While you may not get a good sense for whether your answer is A quality or merely median, you'll at least learn what errors you are making and hopefully learn how to avoid them - that's the value of exchanging answers. Sometimes professors will offer to read over your answer to one of their old exams - you should consider taking up those offers.
senunit wrote:Also, when did you find that a supplement would be beneficial for your constitutional law course? Did you buy it before, or during the semester as the material became more difficult to understand?
I bought it during the semester. Constitutional law is a tricky subject because there are few clear rules - the case law does not, for example, clearly address the issue of whether or not a federal regulation of marriage might be an improper exercise of commerce power. The only way to successfully analyze that issue is to be familiar with the Commerce Clause cases, and supplements can present good points about the cases that you might not see just by reading the cases yourself.
Thanks

scottschreiber

New

Post by scottschreiber » Sat Sep 04, 2010 2:16 pm

I just read this post two weeks into 1L. Wow. Thank you, Talon. This post is beyond helpful.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

R.R. Raskolnikov

Bronze

Post by R.R. Raskolnikov » Fri Feb 18, 2011 4:10 pm

Thanks for paying it forward, Talon. I'll brush up on this over the summer.

risktaker

Silver

Post by risktaker » Fri Feb 18, 2011 4:16 pm

Thanks!

lolschool2011

Bronze

Post by lolschool2011 » Tue Feb 22, 2011 12:06 pm

Tag.

pattonthicke

Bronze

Post by pattonthicke » Tue Feb 22, 2011 12:12 pm

tag

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

esq

Silver

Post by esq » Tue Feb 22, 2011 12:19 pm

Great stuff.

rbarcelo9

Silver

Post by rbarcelo9 » Mon Feb 28, 2011 4:26 pm

Thanks for this, from a anxious/nervous 0L.

kehoema2

Bronze

Post by kehoema2 » Mon Feb 28, 2011 4:30 pm

Wow thanks for the insight. This will definitely come in handy.

nerdherder

New

Post by nerdherder » Tue Mar 01, 2011 1:43 am

Bump.

Thanks!

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Gold

Post by 005618502 » Tue Mar 01, 2011 1:49 am

Great post!

Tagging for later reference

reilanrc

New

Post by reilanrc » Wed Apr 20, 2011 8:20 pm

thanks for a thorough and well-conceived 1st year advice guide...best ive read so far

northwood

Platinum

Post by northwood » Wed Apr 20, 2011 8:24 pm

wow.. thanks!

pride09

New

Post by pride09 » Wed Apr 20, 2011 8:42 pm

northwood wrote:wow.. thanks!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.