Orientation Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2012)
Spinoza

New

Orientation

Post by Spinoza » Mon Aug 03, 2009 1:10 pm

Anyone law school got anything good planned for orientation, or is it all just tours of the school and lectures on 'how to survive at law school'?

gilchristh

Bronze

Re: Orientation

Post by gilchristh » Wed Aug 05, 2009 12:16 am

Ours sounds really fun! (Georgetown) We have an optional service project the day before FT Orientation officially starts, several optional faculty tours to choose from, some interesting-sounding faculty talks, picnics with our sections, faculty moot court on an upcoming SCOTUS case (which I'm REALLY hoping will be in the Supreme Court Institute room), and a little wining and dining (I'm hoping). Among the options:

service projects: DC Central Kitchen -- feeding the homeless; Food & Friends -- delivering meals to people with HIV; and National Arboretum cleanup

faculty tours: a bike ride around the Capitol, a DC monument jogging tour and picnic, a picnic at the C&O canal, Civil War site walking tour, a tour of the Newseum, a tour of the National Zoo, and I think four others that were a bit lower on my list but still really interesting things I'd like to do sometime anyway...

faculty talks: "Case of a Lifetime" (a GULC professor who helped overturn the conviction of an innocent woman who spent 29 years in jail for a crime she didn't commit), PI Lawyering, IP Careers, Careers in Litigation, and some other stuff...

I'm really looking forward to it!

(I don't know where this puts me on the geek scale, probably like an 11 out of 10, but I'm okay with that.)

tome

Bronze

Post by tome » Sun Aug 09, 2009 11:53 am

Looks like NU has the same sort of stuff as Georgetown, with the predictable NU business-type stuff that gets such a strong reaction on these boards--teamwork and leadership workshops, Myers Briggs (or whatever) test, etc. Its 5 or 7 days long, depending on your background and program.

Last year they got a Cubs game... I blame the 'ITE'

keylimelove

New

Post by keylimelove » Sun Aug 09, 2009 11:55 am

Booze cruise on lake michigan :mrgreen:

revolution724

Bronze

Post by revolution724 » Sun Aug 09, 2009 12:10 pm

Ours has a one-credit mini-course, complete with exam. Good times.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

mnolen

Bronze

Post by mnolen » Sun Aug 09, 2009 12:27 pm

gilchristh wrote:Ours sounds really fun! (Georgetown) We have an optional service project the day before FT Orientation officially starts, several optional faculty tours to choose from, some interesting-sounding faculty talks, picnics with our sections, faculty moot court on an upcoming SCOTUS case (which I'm REALLY hoping will be in the Supreme Court Institute room), and a little wining and dining (I'm hoping). Among the options:

service projects: DC Central Kitchen -- feeding the homeless; Food & Friends -- delivering meals to people with HIV; and National Arboretum cleanup

faculty tours: a bike ride around the Capitol, a DC monument jogging tour and picnic, a picnic at the C&O canal, Civil War site walking tour, a tour of the Newseum, a tour of the National Zoo, and I think four others that were a bit lower on my list but still really interesting things I'd like to do sometime anyway...

faculty talks: "Case of a Lifetime" (a GULC professor who helped overturn the conviction of an innocent woman who spent 29 years in jail for a crime she didn't commit), PI Lawyering, IP Careers, Careers in Litigation, and some other stuff...

(I don't know where this puts me on the geek scale, probably like an 11 out of 10, but I'm okay with that.)
Mine sounds really boring compared to this :(

rvill7

New

Post by rvill7 » Sun Aug 09, 2009 12:34 pm

mnolen wrote:
gilchristh wrote:Ours sounds really fun! (Georgetown) We have an optional service project the day before FT Orientation officially starts, several optional faculty tours to choose from, some interesting-sounding faculty talks, picnics with our sections, faculty moot court on an upcoming SCOTUS case (which I'm REALLY hoping will be in the Supreme Court Institute room), and a little wining and dining (I'm hoping). Among the options:

Mine sounds really boring compared to this :(
Seriously, a bike ride! How sweet is that?

revolution724

Bronze

Post by revolution724 » Sun Aug 09, 2009 12:36 pm

gilchristh wrote: faculty talks: "Case of a Lifetime" (a GULC professor who helped overturn the conviction of an innocent woman who spent 29 years in jail for a crime she didn't commit), PI Lawyering, IP Careers, Careers in Litigation, and some other stuff...
She must be making the rounds. She's speaking at Fordham, too.

Edit: we also have a public service day. Projects: Habitat for Humanity, pro-same-sex marriage advocacy (lolJesuitschool?), a training for "legal observers" to make sure people's civil rights aren't violated at protests, a park clean-up, a tenants' organization project, and a Nicaraguan women's project.

gogators

Bronze

Post by gogators » Sun Aug 09, 2009 7:55 pm

revolution724 wrote:Ours has a one-credit mini-course, complete with exam. Good times.
we must have the same one...

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

blackacre

New

Post by blackacre » Mon Aug 10, 2009 3:53 am

gogators wrote:
revolution724 wrote:Ours has a one-credit mini-course, complete with exam. Good times.
are you guys serious? what is this about?

revolution724

Bronze

Post by revolution724 » Mon Aug 10, 2009 9:21 am

blackacre wrote:
gogators wrote:
"Legal Process". As far as I can tell, it's graded and it counts. :P

gogators

Bronze

Post by gogators » Mon Aug 10, 2009 10:48 am

revolution724 wrote:
blackacre wrote:
gogators wrote:
"Legal Process". As far as I can tell, it's graded and it counts. :P
Makes you question for a second why you chose the school....I know it crossed my mind when I found out lol

LawandOrder

Silver

Post by LawandOrder » Mon Aug 10, 2009 11:00 am

I don't really want to do any of those things. Does that make me a bad potential law student?

revolution724

Bronze

Post by revolution724 » Mon Aug 10, 2009 11:03 am

gogators wrote:
Makes you question for a second why you chose the school....I know it crossed my mind when I found out lol
Maybe they figure it's more efficient to weed the first week until waiting until December.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2012 Forum”