What Generation Are We? Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2012)

If you were born between 1976 and 1984, what generation do you consider yourself a part of?

Generation X
21%
Generation Y
57%
Neither (I like to be difficult)
21%

Total votes: 28

Drake014

Silver

What Generation Are We?

Post by Drake014 » Thu Jun 18, 2009 3:49 pm

When I was growing up, those in my age group were referred to as Generation X. Now, I'm part of the group of individuals born between 1976 and 1984 who, depending on who you ask, may be part of Generation X or Y.

So, if you were born in this period, what generation do you consider yourself a part of?

Drake014

Silver

Re: What Generation Are We?

Post by Drake014 » Thu Jun 18, 2009 3:56 pm

One of the many opinions floating around on the subject. Look up Generation Y on Wikipedia, they show about 10 different opinions of Sociologists on when it started and ended.

General Tso

Gold

Post by General Tso » Thu Jun 18, 2009 4:00 pm

I actually had a copy of this when I was a kid...I thought it would be worth a ton one day because it had a chrome cover

Drake014

Silver

Post by Drake014 » Thu Jun 18, 2009 4:03 pm

swheat wrote:I actually had a copy of this when I was a kid...I thought it would be worth a ton one day because it had a chrome cover
Did you keep it?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

let/them/eat/cake

Silver

Post by let/them/eat/cake » Thu Jun 18, 2009 4:06 pm

whichever heuristic category suits my purposes best at any given moment.

what a fun game.

General Tso

Gold

Post by General Tso » Thu Jun 18, 2009 4:06 pm

Drake014 wrote:
swheat wrote:I actually had a copy of this when I was a kid...I thought it would be worth a ton one day because it had a chrome cover
Did you keep it?
I think its in my parent's attic along with all my other junk. Everything is worthless...baseball cards, comics, everything.

My Arod 94 SP rookie that I paid $100 for is worth like $20 now. That Gen X first edition is going for $0.99 on ebay. Total wastes...

I should have bought stocks instead :roll:

SamSeaborn2016

Bronze

Post by SamSeaborn2016 » Thu Jun 18, 2009 4:07 pm

:lol:

I'm pretty sure I have the entire run of Generation X comics in one of the many boxes of comics I have stashed at my mom's place. If the economy was better I would try to sell off my childhood collection.

If I remember correctly, just about every comic in the early 90s had chrome covers for some damn reason.

Drake014

Silver

Post by Drake014 » Thu Jun 18, 2009 4:12 pm

swheat wrote:
Drake014 wrote:
Did you keep it?
I think its in my parent's attic along with all my other junk. Everything is worthless...baseball cards, comics, everything.

My Arod 94 SP rookie that I paid $100 for is worth like $20 now. That Gen X first edition is going for $0.99 on ebay. Total wastes...

I should have bought stocks instead :roll:
I had a box of comics as well. Don't lose faith, by the time you're 60 they'll probably be worth quite a bit.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Hook 'Em

Bronze

Post by Hook 'Em » Thu Jun 18, 2009 4:18 pm

I thought it was going to be worth hundreds of dollars one day, but you can buy it on Ebay for 3 bucks.

Also, who remembers buying Topps Stadium Club basketball cards in 92-93 so you could find a Shaq Beam Team? Those were the days.

General Tso

Gold

Post by General Tso » Thu Jun 18, 2009 4:23 pm

Who remembers trying to find the Billy Ripken card with the f**kface written on the bat handle? :lol:

Zojirushi

Bronze

Post by Zojirushi » Thu Jun 18, 2009 4:24 pm

I had this too! Foil covered comic book lust have since been replaced by the T14 lust. We suck.

watts

New

Post by watts » Thu Jun 18, 2009 4:27 pm

Hook 'Em wrote:
Also, who remembers buying Topps Stadium Club basketball cards in 92-93 so you could find a Shaq Beam Team? Those were the days.
Fuck. Yes. Gotta catch em all.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Drake014

Silver

Post by Drake014 » Thu Jun 18, 2009 4:31 pm

watts wrote:
Hook 'Em wrote:
I'm just glad this was indicative of the generation and my siblings and I weren't the only suckers.

Lizface killah

Bronze

Post by Lizface killah » Thu Jun 18, 2009 4:33 pm

Drake014 wrote:When I was growing up, those in my age group were referred to as Generation X. Now, I'm part of the group of individuals born between 1976 and 1984 who, depending on who you ask, may be part of Generation X or Y.

So, if you were born in this period, what generation do you consider yourself a part of?
I feel more of an affinity with gen X than Y, even though technically I think I'm considered gen Y.

Drake014

Silver

Post by Drake014 » Thu Jun 18, 2009 4:39 pm

Lizface killah wrote:
Drake014 wrote:When I was growing up, those in my age group were referred to as Generation X. Now, I'm part of the group of individuals born between 1976 and 1984 who, depending on who you ask, may be part of Generation X or Y.

I feel more of an affinity with gen X than Y, even though technically I think I'm considered gen Y.
There's not really a "technical" on the subject. There probably won't be a general consensus on what was generation X and Y for another 20 years. So, until then, be whomever you want :mrgreen:

lawlover829

Bronze

Post by lawlover829 » Thu Jun 18, 2009 4:41 pm

Generation ZZZZZZZZZ

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

greyarea

New

Post by greyarea » Thu Jun 18, 2009 4:41 pm

"Generations" and "The Fourth Turning" by William Strauss and Neil Howe are pretty decent reads if your interested in generational stuff and history.

As a Gen Y'er (I think) it's hard to say clearly how we'll impact the world in comparison to the baby boomers. IMHO there are so many variables that go into this kind of equation that it's impossible to claim with certainty that "this generation is like this" or "this generation caused that" etc..

I try not to hate on the Boomers too much though. After all, they did give us The Beatles.

As far as What Generation Are We? I hope it's not the one this Emory Professor describes...

http://www.amazon.com/Dumbest-Generatio ... 581&sr=8-1

General Tso

Gold

Post by General Tso » Thu Jun 18, 2009 4:43 pm

I HATE the pop culture associated with Gen Y...Britney Spears, nSync, backstreet boys, Christina Aguilera.

God did I hate that shit. Mid to late 90s pop radio was the worst...although pop radio today hasn't improved all that much. Growing up without the internet left me with no music options though

Also the movies of that period...Men in Black, American Pies, Independence Day...just awful
Last edited by General Tso on Thu Jun 18, 2009 4:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Drake014

Silver

Post by Drake014 » Thu Jun 18, 2009 4:43 pm

greyarea wrote:"Generations" and "The Fourth Turning" by William Strauss and Neil Howe are pretty decent reads if your interested in generational stuff and history.

As a Gen Y'er (I think) it's hard to say clearly how we'll impact the world in comparison to the baby boomers. IMHO there are so many variables that go into this kind of equation that it's impossible to claim with certainty that "this generation is like this" or "this generation caused that" etc..

I try not to hate on the Boomers too much though. After all, they did give us The Beatles.

As far as What Generation Are We? I hope it's not the one this Emory Professor describes...

http://www.amazon.com/Dumbest-Generatio ... 581&sr=8-1
Time will tell.

Hook 'Em

Bronze

Post by Hook 'Em » Thu Jun 18, 2009 4:46 pm

Drake014 wrote:
watts wrote:
Hook 'Em wrote:
I'm just glad this was indicative of the generation and my siblings and I weren't the only suckers.

I probably bought 300 packs of those damn cards (and spent 80% of my allowance/gift money), and the best Beam Team card I found was Jeff fuckin Hornacek. What about these:

I still remember getting this card from the Hobby Shop in Webster, TX after a Boy Scout meeting.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

CE2JD

Silver

Post by CE2JD » Thu Jun 18, 2009 4:48 pm

I remember playing outside most of the time when I was between the ages of 5 and 10. So I guess that makes me very old.

Lizface killah

Bronze

Post by Lizface killah » Thu Jun 18, 2009 4:50 pm

swheat wrote:I HATE the pop culture associated with Gen Y...Britney Spears, nSync, backstreet boys, Christina Aguilera.

God did I hate that shit. Mid to late 90s pop radio was the worst...although pop radio today hasn't improved all that much. Growing up without the internet left me with no music options though

Also the movies of that period...Men in Black, American Pies, Independence Day...just awful
You just weren't listening to and watching the right stuff.

The following were also popular

Smashing Pumpkins, Oasis, The Strokes, Radiohead...

American Beauty, Fargo, Trainspotting, Good Will Hunting...

watts

New

Post by watts » Thu Jun 18, 2009 4:56 pm

Hook 'Em wrote:
Drake014 wrote:
watts wrote:
Hook 'Em wrote:

I probably bought 300 packs of those damn cards (and spent 80% of my allowance/gift money), and the best Beam Team card I found was Jeff fuckin Hornacek. What about these:

I still remember getting this card from the Hobby Shop in Webster, TX after a Boy Scout meeting.
Haha, man, i remember trying to decide which cards were cool enough to put in the hard shell cases. DW definitely would have made the cut. I'm from Mich, and in the mid 90's my dad and i used to go around looking for Grant Hill rookie cards...so much wasted money on that good-for-nothing butterfly...

"Finest Refractor"? thats balling.

Hook 'Em

Bronze

Post by Hook 'Em » Thu Jun 18, 2009 5:10 pm

watts wrote:
Hook 'Em wrote:

Haha, man, i remember trying to decide which cards were cool enough to put in the hard shell cases. DW definitely would have made the cut. I'm from Mich, and in the mid 90's my dad and i used to go around looking for Grant Hill rookie cards...so much wasted money on that good-for-nothing butterfly...

"Finest Refractor"? thats balling.

Lol, me and my dad did the same thing. In the summer of 95, my family took a road trip to North Carolina for the Duke University TIP recognition ceremony (for my 7th grade SAT score). We stopped at every Wal-Mart and card store looking for Grant Hill cards and Michael Jordan Birmingham Barons "rookie" cards. I remember spending 20 bucks on a Glenn Robinson rookie card, and my dad telling me he wouldn't amount to crap in the NBA. Being a kid was the shit.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2012 Forum”