Health insurance in law school? Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2012)
let/them/eat/cake

Silver

Health insurance in law school?

Post by let/them/eat/cake » Wed May 13, 2009 11:09 am

i heard there are certain states in which graduate students can still be covered under their parents plans? (i remember this from an old thread i think, but can't find it).

sound familiar to anyone? i'm trying to figure out if NY is one of those states....

also, other than that route, do most schools offer health insurance through the school? (it would seem like that would be easier, and one could just tack it on to the COA amounts?

Any light shed on all this is appreciated.

hoffb86

Bronze

Re: Health insurance in law school?

Post by hoffb86 » Wed May 13, 2009 11:11 am

Doesn't it depend on the insurance provider?

I'm fairly sure it does, considering I am from NY, and am going to school in Maryland, but am still being put back on my parents insurance (I think).

just a girl

Bronze

Post by just a girl » Wed May 13, 2009 11:16 am

let/them/eat/cake wrote:do most schools offer health insurance through the school?
I think it depends on the school. Michigan has health services, which covers most basic care, but not prescriptions and the like, and they recommend supplemental insurance to cover these expenses through a separate provider. That being said, I've found that the plans the schools offer or recommend tend to be more expensive than other plans. As a healthy 22 year old, I'm going for a mid-premium, mid-deductible plan for catastrophic coverage, and relying on UHS for primary care needs. ymmv, of course.

jpasqu1

New

Post by jpasqu1 » Wed May 13, 2009 11:17 am

let/them/eat/cake wrote:i heard there are certain states in which graduate students can still be covered under their parents plans? (i remember this from an old thread i think, but can't find it).

sound familiar to anyone? i'm trying to figure out if NY is one of those states....

also, other than that route, do most schools offer health insurance through the school? (it would seem like that would be easier, and one could just tack it on to the COA amounts?

Any light shed on all this is appreciated.
I don't know if it is good for all three years but once school starts in August I go back under my parent's plan. It doesn't cost them anything more then they are already paying so I'm going to do that. I'm from NJ.

choppa5

New

Post by choppa5 » Wed May 13, 2009 11:18 am

You should call your parent's insurance provider.

I will be able to go back on my dad's for a year.. and he is glad to pay the extra $5 a week instead of me dropping $1500 on the school plan. He isn't providing any other support, so he figures its the least he can do, Thanks Pops!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

custom_concern

New

Post by custom_concern » Wed May 13, 2009 11:19 am

hoffb86 wrote:Doesn't it depend on the insurance provider?

I'm fairly sure it does, considering I am from NY, and am going to school in Maryland, but am still being put back on my parents insurance (I think).
No, it depends on the state (in many cases at least). It is by state law where I am from that insurance companies must provide coverage to "kids" who maintain the same permanent address as their parents and who do not have full time jobs, up until the child's 25th birthday.

let/them/eat/cake

Silver

Post by let/them/eat/cake » Wed May 13, 2009 11:23 am

i think i should be good then, bc i'm pretty sure that it's on a state by state (not provider by provider) basis, and it seems your parents are in NY (?) and ur on their plan.

i'm going to do some confirming, but thanks for the initial info.

hoffb86

Bronze

Post by hoffb86 » Wed May 13, 2009 11:24 am

let/them/eat/cake wrote:

i think i should be good then, bc i'm pretty sure that it's on a state by state (not provider by provider) basis, and it seems your parents are in NY (?) and ur on their plan.

i'm going to do some confirming, but thanks for the initial info.
see above. I could be wrong.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “TLS Class of 2012 Forum”