Lewis and Clark vs Southern Methodist University (SMU) Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2012)
sk8erb0imike

New

Lewis and Clark vs Southern Methodist University (SMU)

Post by sk8erb0imike » Tue May 12, 2009 12:47 pm

Would greatly like some feedback about both schools. I have no preference about where I am going to live for the next three years of my life. But I am worried about the job market after I graduate. Does anyone how the job market is in Portland vs the job market in Dallas?

Any ideas?

hgurke

New

Re: Lewis and Clark vs Southern Methodist University (SMU)

Post by hgurke » Tue May 12, 2009 2:18 pm

hmm i'd try to figure out where you want to practice law. i have friends from texas, and from what they've told me, SMU and other texas/southern schools carry significant weight out there; if you wanted to move back to texas after graduation, a degree from a small liberal regional school in Oregon is not going to carry much weight in the Lone Star State.

hgurke

New

Post by hgurke » Tue May 12, 2009 2:20 pm

and I love Lewis & Clark, mind you...was accepted & still trying to decide between DePaul/U of Oregon/L &C

jdn012

Bronze

Post by jdn012 » Tue May 12, 2009 2:22 pm

sk8erb0imike wrote:Would greatly like some feedback about both schools. I have no preference about where I am going to live for the next three years of my life. But I am worried about the job market after I graduate. Does anyone how the job market is in Portland vs the job market in Dallas?

Any ideas?
have you had the opportunity to visit either school? Both are quite regional so the decision about where you go to school is really more about where you are most likely to work coming out of school (at least for a couple years).

hgurke

New

Post by hgurke » Tue May 12, 2009 2:23 pm

and, sorry, for some reason i assumed you live in texas...

whoaamoeba

New

Post by whoaamoeba » Tue May 12, 2009 4:46 pm

i would definitely go with portland if you don't want to live in a sprawling concrete metroplex (dallas) with absolutely nothing interesting around. i'm from austin though, so my feelings towards dallas are a little biased. :) i was accepted at L&C as well but decided to go to colorado instead because of my love for the mountains. L&C was a great second choice though. i also read a forbes article this weekend that portland is the 10th best city for jobs in the country and dallas the 5th, so i think your opportunities are good either place.

good luck deciding!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2012 Forum”